Soundmagic PL-50 Review
Apr 11, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #137 of 224
I decided to go with the clones from lostearbuds after all.

It's the cheapest option and I can't possibly go wrong with 9 pairs of these. I was not sure what size I needed, so I will receive three pairs of S, M and L.

I'm sure it will take some time for these to get to me, but I will give feedback on them if I receive them. I will probably try to sell on the pairs I do not want to use.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #138 of 224
i'm really interested in getting a pair too. thinking of buying somewhere online, any recommended sites which are of proper deals? so far i've only noticed focalprice going for $55 but can anyone verify the pl50s are genuine? thanks.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #141 of 224
head-direct.com has them too but they're almost the same price as the re0's there. There's another website dealperfect? or something that was mentioned earlier but i think its similar to focalprice.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #142 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to go with the clones from lostearbuds after all.

It's the cheapest option and I can't possibly go wrong with 9 pairs of these. I was not sure what size I needed, so I will receive three pairs of S, M and L.

I'm sure it will take some time for these to get to me, but I will give feedback on them if I receive them. I will probably try to sell on the pairs I do not want to use.

I was looking to buy from that seller also and I'm not sure what size I would need either.. If they compare in size to what ships with the soundmagic IEM's I would need the medium size I think...

I'd probably buy 6 pairs of medium and 3 pairs of large if I do order them as I don't think the small size would work for me at all..... Is the medium size the most common one used out of the different sizes of the hybrids?

I'll await your feedback on them Belabor after you receive them.. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #143 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mengu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
head-direct.com has them too but they're almost the same price as the re0's there. There's another website dealperfect? or something that was mentioned earlier but i think its similar to focalprice.

mp4nation.net sells them, although I prefer focalprice.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #145 of 224
Focalprice has them for $46.75 shipped w/ coupon code FCCSM15OFF. I ordered 4/16, they shipped today. Can't wait to hear em so I could retire my original V-moda Vibes which had crazy microphonics and never kept me satisfied w/ the overall sound.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #146 of 224
I finally received my Sony Hybrid clones from lostearbuds. The delay was probably because of the ash cloud from Iceland, so I will still give the seller credit for the fast delivery.

The package arrived in a small bubble envelope. It contained a resealable plastic bag, like the ones you get with all sorts of small stuff. I don't know the official name for it, but I think you get what I mean.
The different sizes of earbuds were all inside different resealable bags as well, which is a simple thing, but I honestly expected them to be all in one bag so that I would have to arrange them myself.

Anyways, on to the earbuds themselves. I immediately noticed that the S-sized 'buds would be too small for my ears, so I tried out the M-size first. Since just a few minutes ago I used the standard medium-sized SoundMAGIC tips.
This is were things get interesting (sort of
smile.gif
). As far as I can see and feel, the medium-sized earbuds are a tad smaller than the medium-sized SoundMAGIC tips. As for the large-sized ones which I also received: they seem to be just a little bigger. So I chose to use the large earbuds and have sticked with them since (which is about half an hour now).

On to sound and isolation. I definitely notice a small increase in bass quantity while using these tips. I also think the overall sound slightly changes, but I can't find the words to describe it. Maybe that is just because the isolation has become a lot better.
The SoundMAGIC-tips were okay, but the one in my left ear would keep falling out after some time, which I found highly irritating and decreased the overall music experience. These seem to stay in much better, I have to use more force to get them out of my ears and I don't feel them moving in my ears.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. Packaging was better than expected, delivery was pretty fast under the circumstances and the tips are a definite improvement over the stock earbuds. The only downside is that I just wrote a serious review about something as small and insignificant as earbuds and that it makes me feel like a geek.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #147 of 224
Thanks for the follow up Belabor... If I order these later I won't get any of the small ones and just get the medium and large size instead.. I normally use the medium sized soundmagic tips too so the large Sony Hybrid clones should be what I would need...Thanks again..Your review certainly helped me.. Cheers..

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #148 of 224
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSNDET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the follow up Belabor... If I order these later I won't get any of the small ones and just get the medium and large size instead.. I normally use the medium sized soundmagic tips too so the large Sony Hybrid clones should be what I would need...Thanks again..Your review certainly helped me.. Cheers..

You're welcome.
wink.gif

Be sure to order both medium and large, because I don't know if you would prefer the tips to be a tad smaller or bigger.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

May 20, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #149 of 224
you're lucky, i placed an order 5/2 with Focalprice and after two weeks at status of "processing", i finally emailed them and was told today they have been out of stock and are not expecting any more any time soon. hopefully it doesn't take two weeks to get a refund. here's an idea: being told if a product is out of stock when an order is placed, or shortly thereafter, not weeks later and only after the customer is asking for updates.

Quote:
Focalprice has them for $46.75 shipped w/ coupon code FCCSM15OFF. I ordered 4/16, they shipped today. Can't wait to hear em so I could retire my original V-moda Vibes which had crazy microphonics and never kept me satisfied w/ the overall sound.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #150 of 224
Hey Mark, thanks for the review man. It was one of the reasons I decided to get them last year. First upgrade from a very basic model of an audio technica headphone I had... was blow away by clarity and detail my music had. Since then been reading around out of interest. 

Quick question tho. How big of an improvement would it be from my current pl-50 if I got a UM3X ? Or just slightly better ? 
Sorry if its a bad question (big price difference, I know), but am a newbie and I can't imagine way better sounding stuff than what I'm currently getting from the pl-50 and if the improvement would be worth the extra money - altho I want it to be so ! 

Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back