SoundMAGIC PL-50 released, received, reviewed!!!
Jul 31, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #181 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what and where is the cheapest price you can obtain these at?

I think ebay atm for $49+shipping

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #182 of 371
That item is a bid only for $49. And the shipping on it happens to but $18. There is also another by the same seller. But Now for $50 for $18 shipping as well. Maybe in the weeks to com epeople will get some more in stock and the price will come down some. At $68 from ebay it is almost easier to order from HiFi even though they are more expensive.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #183 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCUCEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That item is a bid only for $49. And the shipping on it happens to but $18. There is also another by the same seller. But Now for $50 for $18 shipping as well. Maybe in the weeks to com epeople will get some more in stock and the price will come down some. At $68 from ebay it is almost easier to order from HiFi even though they are more expensive.

TBH I'm not sure why he's only offering expedited shipping, but I'm guessing it has something to do with soundmagic's minimum price policy as 50 with free shipping will be under their MSRP. I'll ask him next time we speak.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #185 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the minimum price $50?

I thought it was $55, but it's really whatever soundmagic says it has to be, apparently.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #188 of 371
ClieOS - good to see a fan of GITS. Anyway I have read your review with great interest

In front of me are two review samples. One is the PL30. The other the PL50

My word .doc is already 3/4 of a page and it is just in note form so I have a very long write-up in front of me but I just want to say something about the PL30 quickly in light of your review

I typically use small sized tips. On my UM2 I use small sized black olives. I have not found any of the fit problems you found with the PL30. Grey, black, bi-flange and foamies I was happy to use

I know many people like the Senn CX300 worldwide but I sold them because they were to me nothing more than the best of a poor lot - still exhibiting the boomy bass sound and wishy-washiness prevalent amongst budget canals

I want to say here that the PL30 has changed that perception. I no longer have the CX300 available for a direct comparison but to me it is by far the best of its class and best budget canal I have had the opportunity to hear. I've owned and sold CX300, HJE50, EX71 and my brother had some Philips ones. PL30 sets a new benchmark and belies its price-tag and hell, punches above its weight

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #189 of 371
^ Welcome to the club. I think a lot of people who normally dabble in mid and high-end audio gear dismiss the cheaper stuff based either on some preconceived notion that the concept of diminishing returns doesn't apply to audio gear or on having tried some of the popular budget phones - namely the Marshmallows and CX300s - that just don't stack up to the good less-known stuff.

I can be honest and say that if I had to sell all of my other phones and keep one of my $20 favourites - the PL30s, the AI-M9s, or the Lenntek Sonix, I would do so without regret.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #190 of 371
The lowest price I could find is $50 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

This coupon: PTCNYSDIWE9009MXV 5$ off min. 40$ Expiry Date: August 15 2009
at dealperfect, mine is shipping at the moment

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #191 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to say here that the PL30 has changed that perception. I no longer have the CX300 available for a direct comparison but to me it is by far the best of its class and best budget canal I have had the opportunity to hear. I've owned and sold CX300, HJE50, EX71 and my brother had some Philips ones. PL30 sets a new benchmark and belies its price-tag and hell, punches above its weight

I don't disagree. In fact, I ranked PL30 better in SQ than CX300 and much better in value in my old review.

Since I reviewed PL-30 (which was way before PL-30 even have different color models or earhook), SoundMAGIC's build quality has been improved vastly. So don't be surprised if you find the build quality and fit to be better than what I described, since my review is based on what I have at hand, which is an older batch of PL-30.

Then again, I have seen so many great $50 IEM popping up for the last few months it is almost unbelievable.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #192 of 371
TrustedReviews shows again that they are extremely well-informed. First 'official' review website to get the PL50 and they also review the PL11.

SoundMAGIC PL11 and PL50 Earphones - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

As expected, they are very enthousiastic about both the PL50 and PL11.

And I just found out that my PL50's shipped two days ago from DealPerfect. Will be expecting them within the week. When they arrive, I will write short impressions on them.

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #193 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TrustedReviews shows again that they are extremely well-informed. First 'official' review website to get the PL50 and they also review the PL11.

SoundMAGIC PL11 and PL50 Earphones - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews

Hi, thanks for the link, great review! I second almost everything except the "holographic soundstage". The PL50s soundstage is far from narrow, but the PL30s is a bit wider and they produce a more airy sound. Only IMO of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back