SoundMAGIC PL-50 released, received, reviewed!!!
Jul 30, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #151 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Copied from my Klipsch S4 review:

In my opinion PL50 vs S4 comes down to personal preference, the PL50 has BA characteristics and the S4 has dynamic characteristics, both are very good for their price, just different.

$38 for the PL50's is a excellent price.

link? What about vs the S2, or the Custom 1 heck even 2?

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #153 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowghost6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHY DID I BUY THESE?!?! I already own 3 pairs of IEMs. >_<. Damn you head-fi.

3????

thats like almost none
ksc75smile.gif

but oh they are really good btw you wont regret

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #154 of 371
Oh man this is crazy... I've been checking Focalprice new release section every day and I've never seen them. Then when I click on the link in this forum for the Focalprice earphones, it just says item not found (not sold out or anything) - are they not shipping these to the UK or something?

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #155 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man this is crazy... I've been checking Focalprice new release section every day and I've never seen them. Then when I click on the link in this forum for the Focalprice earphones, it just says item not found (not sold out or anything) - are they not shipping these to the UK or something?

Yeah, they are not showing up anymore. Maybe soundmagic had them pull them off the site once they got wind of FP selling them for so cheap, or maybe it was just a price mistake, and once they had all these emails about them, they realized it and pulled the off themselves.

Who knows.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #156 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they are not showing up anymore. Maybe soundmagic had them pull them off the site once they got wind of FP selling them for so cheap, or maybe it was just a price mistake, and once they had all these emails about them, they realized it and pulled the off themselves.

Who knows.

Oh man, thanks for the info, good to know its not just me. Geez, this brings a whole new meaning to 'you snooze, you lose' - more like, 'you snooze for 5 mins, $38 earphones gone baby!'
dt880smile.png

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #158 of 371
I'm deciding between these, the PL30's or the Beta Brainwavz. If I would order right now, the PL30 would be my choice, because the Beta's and the PL50 aren't available yet. You can order the Beta's, but MP4 Nation isn't shipping those yet. If I would go for the best at this price, it would probably be the PL50, am I right?

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #159 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm deciding between these, the PL30's or the Beta Brainwavz. If I would order right now, the PL30 would be my choice, because the Beta's and the PL50 aren't available yet. You can order the Beta's, but MP4 Nation isn't shipping those yet. If I would go for the best at this price, it would probably be the PL50, am I right?

well I've read quite a bit about those 3 'phones too, but as yet haven't heard any of them! I suppose we should throw the RE2s in the mix too? Anyway, out of all of them mentioned, the PL50s are the only ones that use balanced armature drivers - which of course does not as a rule make them better, but they may possess certain sonic characteristics aren't to easy get in budget dynamic drivers...

from what I read the Betas don't have a great midrange, and the PL30s are pretty coloured... maybe the PL50s might be a bit more accurate, detailed and punchy. I tend not to be a fan of budget dynamic driver bass, too bloated and messy now I'm used to the super punchy BA bass... but you know, I'm only speculating of course...

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #160 of 371
Quote:

from what I read ... the PL30s are pretty coloured

Where did you read this? I searched the whole PL30 thread (178 replies) for "colored" and "coloured" and here's what came up:
1 hit: "tips are colored gray"

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #161 of 371
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you read this? I searched the whole PL30 thread (178 replies) for "colored" and "coloured" and here's what came up:
1 hit: "tips are colored gray"

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...59/index3.html

I found it mentioned a couple of times, but granted that comment was a little 'off the top of my head' - also I guess my experience with lower end SoundMagics (PL11/12) I found the mids pretty coloured & also probably me just assuming budget IEMs aren't going to be 'super-neutral' - but hey, I could be wrong!
beyersmile.png

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #163 of 371
Quote:

I found it mentioned a couple of times, but granted that comment was a little 'off the top of my head' - also I guess my experience with lower end SoundMagics (PL11/12) I found the mids pretty coloured & also probably me just assuming budget IEMs aren't going to be 'super-neutral' - but hey, I could be wrong!
beyersmile.png

I wouldn't call the PL30s colored, but they definitely aren't neutral. The midrange is quite forward and the overall sound sig is very "fun" - good for rock, etc. Still use these things pretty often. Will see how pl50s compare when they get here.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #164 of 371
Why couldn't i have found this thread yesterday ?! I had the same problem of following the link and getting nothing but "this item is no longer listed"
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back