Soundmagic pl-30 20.00 shipped
Nov 1, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #421 of 523
Mine were delivered in 8 days from focal-price.

First impressions were a little underwhelming .

After a week of listening they've smoothened out a little and I can full enjoy them for what they are : AMAZING for what I paid. IN my opinion they are slightly better than ksc75 or px100.

So what is the consensus on the tips ? the conventional rubber tip of the smallest size seems to be best for me, would I improve bass-performance by getting some comply foam tips? I'm using the eq on my sony DAP right now ( bass 3 up)

Nov 1, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #422 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what is the consensus on the tips ? the conventional rubber tip of the smallest size seems to be best for me, would I improve bass-performance by getting some comply foam tips? I'm using the eq on my sony DAP right now ( bass 3 up)

For me, I dun really like using foamies if possible as they seem to make the highs feel very flat. My preference was to go with tips from my other phones. Be it audio technica or my denons, they seem to not make any difference between them.

The thing is how you put them on. The simplest way to get a seal is to just leave it on the entrance of your ear canals. The proper way is to go deep although to me it's harder to get a seal that way.

What I do is to put them at the entrance to my ear canals, angle the lead wire to my desired angle and then very gently push them deeper in using only 1 finger. Do not hold with more than 1 finger and push as the tips are actually angled a little. Using more than 1 finger can potentially mean you are not pushing it in the right direction.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #423 of 523
I've ordered these from focal price as a backup to my UM2s...arrived at the library to find I left the UM2s in my other jacket pocket!!!! (so ipod+laptop+dac/amp but no earphones!!!)

For $21 including shipping I don't think there is a better deal out there whatever they sound like given everything else at that price point I've heard has been abysmal barring the MX500s.
I'm going to try and get samples of some of the £15 or less IEMs/earbuds and give it a comparison.
I'll also dig up my senn MX500s to see how things have come along.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #425 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can someone tell me how long these take to burn in?

24 hrs should be enough. I didn't detect any more change after 24 hrs.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #426 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can someone tell me how long these take to burn in?

They don't burn in. Just listen long enough for your ears and brain to be accustomed to them. That's what "burn-in" is.

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #428 of 523
can anyone post an actual photo of these? i wanna see for myself if it looks classy or crassy

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #431 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by 20LEGEND /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Genuine Sound Magic PL30 Professional in Ear Earphones $19.82 - Free Shipping

After having used them for a couple of days, I'd rate my Zune Premium Earphones above these.

Anyone want mine for $20+Shipping(Approx. $2)?

I had the same first impressions. Tried different ear tips and finally when I tried my smallest tips from my Panasonic HJE-70's I was completely shocked with the result.
Try to get a good seal, try with the foam tips that come with the PL-30. When you put them inside your ears, don't be afraid to push even further; don't worry they will go in as much as you push them. You will notice the incredible bass when you have a perfect seal.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #432 of 523
Again skullcandy inkd`d sillicone tips works great for me, much better than the included tips with PL-30, the medium sized skullcandy is a bit larger than the black tip that is original fitted tp the PL-30, and also not so flimsy (it`is very similar to shure clear flex sleeves), medium size skullcandy fits me well, others claim large, I guess it depends on the size or your ear canal...
Skullcandy sells them from their website for 3 pairs incl. shipping for five dollars

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #433 of 523
Got mine today. Shipped october 20th, so it took about 2 weeks, not bad as I am in Italy. I had no time to listen to them yet, however they seem authentic.

Nov 4, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #434 of 523
i've had mine for a few weeks now.
yes, they are pretty good for $20. however, i dont think theyre anything sepcial.
koss ksc75 and altec im716(the newegg sale) made me go "OMG What!?" when i first put them on. PL30 didnt.
the PL30 are definitely gonna be my skiing/snowboarding phones since they dont completely isolate outside noise.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #435 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the PL30 are definitely gonna be my skiing/snowboarding phones since they dont completely isolate outside noise.

I'm surprised by these claims that the PL-30 don't isolate well. I can't hear much in the outside world with my PL-30 using the foam tips. I got scared as hell yesterday when my brother snuck up on me when I was watching a movie with them on. I didn't notice him at all before he was in my visual range. I also missed three telephone calls (I have the volume set to 4 out of 5 on a nokia). Are you sure you got a good seal? I'd definitely say the isolation is adequate with foam tips.

I also agree regarding the iM716. They are in a totally different class. For $20, that was the best value for headphones ever. But the PL-30 do have a lot of advantages, such as over-the-ear style wearing, the nice bag, and also they are tiny, so they don't bother me when I wear a cap in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back