Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #691 of 775
If you haven't yet, try the 1More Triple Driver Over Ear. Not as bright, but (based on memory of the HP150) similar bass. Maybe a little more. From Tyll's review at Innerfidelity (he put them on the Wall of Fame)

1More_TrippleDriverOverEar_Photo_TDOEHFreqPhase.jpg

Agreed. H1707 is excellent. I own 2 pairs!

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #692 of 775
Yeah, that hinge is terrible. There’s no way to fix it. I can only imagine how many HP150 and 200 there are out there with busted hinges that are otherwise perfect.

I’m pretty sure there’s even other SM models that use the same hinge, which would also be susceptible to breaking.

My SM breaking was one of the things that started an obsession with acquiring bullet proof headphones (metal construction, metal hinges, etc) - Philips A50 Pro, Sennheiser HP630VB, Meizu HD50, Bluedio T3, Bluedio T4S, Sennheiser Momentum, etc.
Ever tried the Sony MDR-7520. WOW, are they sturdy...and sound incredible!!!

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #694 of 775
I just saw this thread for the first time, I bought my HP150 in 2015 and they are still going strong. I bought a pair of NAD HP50 since they had great reviews and the price was $70 for an open box set, and to be honest, to me the HP150 spanked them, so much more clarity from top to bottom and just much more presence, almost feels like the singer is in the room with you. The NAD almost felt like there was a veil between you and the sound, like something was muffling them, I sold them pretty much immediately. I was hoping to fine an open pair of headphones that had very similar sound so I could listen longer without my ears getting ridiculously warm. Wondering about the Sennheiser x Massdrop Jubilee HD58X.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #695 of 775
I just saw this thread for the first time, I bought my HP150 in 2015 and they are still going strong. I bought a pair of NAD HP50 since they had great reviews and the price was $70 for an open box set, and to be honest, to me the HP150 spanked them, so much more clarity from top to bottom and just much more presence, almost feels like the singer is in the room with you. The NAD almost felt like there was a veil between you and the sound, like something was muffling them, I sold them pretty much immediately. I was hoping to fine an open pair of headphones that had very similar sound so I could listen longer without my ears getting ridiculously warm. Wondering about the Sennheiser x Massdrop Jubilee HD58X.
Agree about the NAD. Even though they were really dark, the treble and uppermids that they had were quite grainy.

I bought a Philips Fidelio L2 after, and they were much clearer, yet a lot smoother/less fatiguing at the same time.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #696 of 775

I went through a period when I have only used the HP50 and found that because of the sound signature, they never sound good to me when I'd recently been using a brighter headphone. But when I use them exclusively for a day or two so that my brain adjusts only to them, they sound very good. Especially when I went traveling overseas for six weeks and only used them (except for an occasional IEM use), they sounded "normal".

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #697 of 775
I think the SoundMagic HP-150 headphones get bashed for weak bass without merit. I've had my pair for 3 years, but they spent 2 of those years packed away. I pulled them back out about a month ago and started to utilize them again. I couldn't believe the sound that these $125 - $150 headphones were capable of.

To the person who asked if the HP-150 and HP-151 were the same, with the exception of some structural changes. Yes, it appears that is the case. After my experience with the HP-150, I ordered the HP-151 from Amazon for $125 + taxes and just received them today.

There's a small handful of reviews on Amazon of the HP-151, but out of those reviews, people are bashing the headphones. Again, I feel that the people were expecting too much or possibly not using some better equipment to drive the headphones.

OK, back to my statement about the HP-150 and HP-151 being the same except for structure. At the moment, the highs on the HP-151 are a bit more etched, but the bass appears to be the same out of the box. However, I'll let the HP-151 run for a few days solid and see if the highs tame a bit. At the moment, I'm using my Loki to tame the upper frequencies a bit.

I've truly enjoyed this hobby for the past few decades and 16 years on this forum. I love being able to be an enthusiast and try as many headphones as I can and try to share those experiences.

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #700 of 775
For the cables, all you need is a generic standard 3-pin male 3.5mm to dual 2-pin 2.5mm single 3.5mm male headphone cable (with a thin nozzle to fit in narrow jack). You can find those online anywhere, or best to contact a custom cable maker to ask him to make one out of a silver cable material. This will improve the sound on all fronts: detail, dynamics and bass definition, but perhaps a bit brighter. I don't think SoundMagic offers replacement parts, but using these two options will give you a FAR better result that the original parts.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #702 of 775
@feralslash and anyone - apologies I misspoke above. I recommended 3.5mm male to dual 2.5mm male cable when instead you just need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, but with a narrow nozzle. Check here on page 18 for a perfect example.
The confusion was because I had my HP 150's modded a few years ago by user @Packdemon who installed dual 2.5mm connectors for mine as part of an overall mod / upgrade.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #704 of 775
Just a heads up that the 151s are on offer at Amazon uk at the moment for £87.28.

I paid £103.99 on a lightning deal last month. I should have waited. Oh well.

That is an amazing price at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back