Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #256 of 775
They are definitely north of neutral in the bass department, IMO.  They hit very hard when driven with my SMSL sApII amp.  However, this should not be taken to mean that they are muddy.  Clarity and instrument separation is probably the best I've heard of any headphone I've tried (I have tried the HD 800s and Beyer T1s, but these demos were a number of years ago, and only for a very brief time).  So I guess, out of headphones of which I have a good memory.  Soundstage is similar to the HP100s, I think, but I had a different amp when I was driving those (Headroom Micro Amp).  I think the 100s and 150s are pretty close in sound signature, but I also think that the SMSL has really opened them up.  If you like neutrality and clarity, but want more bass (again: very clean, hard-hitting bass, not muddy), these are nearly perfect.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #258 of 775
  How are these versus the K712/K702 Anniversary Edition?

I listen to a pair of Q701 for a few days, though it was a while back, and the 150 are much different.  The 150 will sound like a bass heavy HP compared to the AKG.  I agree with Marximus that the bass on the 150 is very nice, not bloated, but very present.

I am now listening to a pair of Senn HD700, and have only had them on about 20 minutes.  Very nice, and brighter than the HD650, which is OK by me.  They sound very nice, lots of detail, but I would not call them "fun" - at least comparing them to the HP150.  I would say the same comparing the AKG to the HP150; the 150 just much more fun.

I have never had buyers remorse with the HP150.  They can still be had for $200 or less, and sound great.

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #259 of 775
I have the K 550s now, and IIRC, the 702 Anniversarys sound pretty similar:  large soundstage, midrange focused, etc.  But although the soundstage on the 150s is smaller, it sounds more realistic.  It's substantially more engaging, IMO.  I kind of imagine the K 550s as a wall of sound.  You're looking at the music.  But with the 150s, with their fantastic clarity and instrument separation, I feel more surrounded by the music.  They really are something special (although this is my fourth time owning the 100s/150s, so I'm a bit biased, I guess).

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #261 of 775
This is a review of Lunashops replacement cable for SoundMagic HP150 or any other Full size headphone with a removable 3.5mm cable. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4561

Even so this is a universal 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which can be used with multiple dozens of full size headphones that have a replaceable cable, I would like to focus this mini review on SoundMagic HP150 headphones because of the unique slim connector housing of these cables that allows to bypass twist-lock connector of HP150.

When it comes to full size headphones, there isn't too much you can do to fine tune the sound unless you find replacement pads (not always available) or go for a higher quality replacement cable. Typically OEM chord uses a standard copper or OFC wires. To improve sound quality, you have to look beyond copper wired cables where silver-plated wires is a great alternative. Those cables don't magically improve the sound, but rather a higher purity of silver-plated wire in comparison to a regular copper will improve conductivity and reduce degradation of the signal. The level of such improvement will vary depending on purity of the wire and quality of the connectors, but sometimes you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for super-duper wires to get a benefit of noticeable sound improvement.

I have tested a lot of lunashops replacement silver-plated cables, and always find the same consistent improvement in performance which brightens the sound, makes it more detailed in upper mids/treble and a bit tighter at low end, and slightly widens a perception of staging as a result of brighter sound. With HP150 this replacement cable introduced the same level of sound improvement. But you might ask, what makes this cable special? Beside it being 1.5m in length, flexible enough for storage, and overall nice build quality - it has a very slim connector housing which goes right into the opening of the earcup connector. HP150 original cable uses a special twist-on lock and a deeper connector opening which is not compatible with regular replacement cables. This lunashops connector is slim enough to go right inside of it and to stay very secure when plugged in.

Overall, for $30 plus change you get a very durable replacement cable with a higher quality silver-plate wiring and compatibility to be used with HP150 twist-on connector or any other headphones that use universal 3.5mm connector. The obvious benefit is a sound improvement, though it will come at a cost of some microphonics when cable is rubbing against your cloth. Still, it's probably the cheapest and the most effective sound improvement you can get for your HP150 cans or any other headphones with 3.5mm replaceable cable.

Here are the pictures.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #263 of 775
Hi all, new to the forum.

Can anyone tell how are these cans compare to Sony MDR-7506, Takstar Pro 80 or KRK KNS-8400? (looking for an all-rounder HP).

The HP150 would be a good step up over the 7506. In fact, I have often recommended the HP150 as an upgrade for 7506/v6 owners: better bass extension and better resolution.

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #264 of 775

Thanks much. I've read many reviews & feedbacks and I got the feeling (unfortunately I don't have chance to listen) this is the one I'm really looking for. Just want to be sure before paying 2x more than HPs that I mentioned above :)

Dec 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #265 of 775
  This is a review of Lunashops replacement cable for SoundMagic HP150 or any other Full size headphone with a removable 3.5mm cable. http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4561

Even so this is a universal 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable which can be used with multiple dozens of full size headphones that have a replaceable cable, I would like to focus this mini review on SoundMagic HP150 headphones because of the unique slim connector housing of these cables that allows to bypass twist-lock connector of HP150.

When it comes to full size headphones, there isn't too much you can do to fine tune the sound unless you find replacement pads (not always available) or go for a higher quality replacement cable. Typically OEM chord uses a standard copper or OFC wires. To improve sound quality, you have to look beyond copper wired cables where silver-plated wires is a great alternative. Those cables don't magically improve the sound, but rather a higher purity of silver-plated wire in comparison to a regular copper will improve conductivity and reduce degradation of the signal. The level of such improvement will vary depending on purity of the wire and quality of the connectors, but sometimes you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for super-duper wires to get a benefit of noticeable sound improvement.

I have tested a lot of lunashops replacement silver-plated cables, and always find the same consistent improvement in performance which brightens the sound, makes it more detailed in upper mids/treble and a bit tighter at low end, and slightly widens a perception of staging as a result of brighter sound. With HP150 this replacement cable introduced the same level of sound improvement. But you might ask, what makes this cable special? Beside it being 1.5m in length, flexible enough for storage, and overall nice build quality - it has a very slim connector housing which goes right into the opening of the earcup connector. HP150 original cable uses a special twist-on lock and a deeper connector opening which is not compatible with regular replacement cables. This lunashops connector is slim enough to go right inside of it and to stay very secure when plugged in.

Overall, for $30 plus change you get a very durable replacement cable with a higher quality silver-plate wiring and compatibility to be used with HP150 twist-on connector or any other headphones that use universal 3.5mm connector. The obvious benefit is a sound improvement, though it will come at a cost of some microphonics when cable is rubbing against your cloth. Still, it's probably the cheapest and the most effective sound improvement you can get for your HP150 cans or any other headphones with 3.5mm replaceable cable.

Here are the pictures.

I've bought that cable on Ebay and it was nowhere near $30 ($17, which imo was still too much money).  The biggest problem with that cable is that it's stiff and very microphonic.

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #266 of 775
Thanks much. I've read many reviews & feedbacks and I got the feeling (unfortunately I don't have chance to listen) this is the one I'm really looking for. Just want to be sure before paying 2x more than HPs that I mentioned above :)

Unless your tastes are much different than the sound signature you seem to be pursuing, it would be hard to make a better choice without hearing them. For a headphone that has a bit of bass and treble emphasis over neutral--but still tends more toward neutral class of headphones among consumer headphones--I don't think you can do better for the price. Different, but not better.

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #267 of 775
I've bought that cable on Ebay and it was nowhere near $30 ($17, which imo was still too much money).  The biggest problem with that cable is that it's stiff and very microphonic.

$17 on ebay from lunashops is a steal! They do have eBay specials but if it's not their cable - don't waste your money. Also, microphonics - yes, but stiff - no way :wink:

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #268 of 775
$17 on ebay from lunashops is a steal! They do have eBay specials but if it's not their cable - don't waste your money. Also, microphonics - yes, but stiff - no way
wink.gif

It's a bit stiffer than the HP150 stock cable imo, and much stiffer than your generic 3.5mm cable.

you can get the same cable here for much less:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Pole-3-5mm-to-2-5mm-Male-Silver-plated-Stere-Audio-Headphone-Car-Aux-Cable-/281297729269?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&var=580341310976&hash=item417ea6b6f5

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #269 of 775
Hi, guys.

I have been using a Brainwavz HM5 for the past couple of years everyday at work. I really enjoy them for their neutrality and sound isolation. But the headband on them has cracked on both sides from excessive use (about 7 hours/day and 5 days/week). So I decided to get an upgrade.
This headphones seem to be a good choice, I prefer neutral sound and I need good isolation (I work in a lab with noisy equipment ~65-70 dB)
I mainly listen to classical, jazz, blues, classic rock and ethnic music (traditional chinese, japanese, etc.).

I want to know if you guys think this is a good choice of upgrade or if there is anything better (but not more expensive)?

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #270 of 775
$17 on ebay from lunashops is a steal! They do have eBay specials but if it's not their cable - don't waste your money. Also, microphonics - yes, but stiff - no way
wink.gif

Hey Twister. I decided to return the Takstars as they are too harsh for my tastes and uncomfortable for me. So now I am deciding between the M50s and HP150s. Whenever you're free would you mind writing a few words in comparing the two? Would be really appreciated :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back