Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #661 of 775
Yeah, I have always been surprised by the amount of low end the HP200 has. A very fun headphone indeed!

I'm personally skeptical of the 20ohm figure myself. I have to use high gain on my FiiO E12A. I always assumed the 20ohm was a typo, and they left off a '0' (making it 200ohm instead of 20ohm, which is more believable as they behave more like a 200ohm can.

Indeed, although I should point out that the Dac Magix XS amp I was using previously powered them almost as well and it's not really designed for high impedance headphones. Just to add to the confusion. I've also tested other headphones below 100ohms with the Oppo and I can't drive them to deafeningly high levels either.

I'm from Europe, so i'm wondering if there has been some sort of volume restriction placed on the amp.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #662 of 775
From my extensive experience on this exact issue before, after thinking the same thing as you I eventually discovered the issue came down to HAIR TOUCHING THE DRIVER. Although this was with my HD-650, HD-600's and Beyer. DT-880, these are all dynamic driver headphones so the issue may be the same. On the HP-100 and 150 just pull off the earpads then there are screws you can remove to open the 'can. From there if you figure out how to remove the driver (carefully), you can examine to see if there's any hair touching the transducer and hopefully remove it, for a restored sound.
You, my man, are a LIFE SAVER.
Oh my God.
I wasn't sure if I saw a hair flew out. But I blew into the drivers and i think whatever it was finally came out.
I now hear ZERO distortion now with the bass turned up.
I honestly thought I destroyed my drivers or something.
Thank you, really, from the bottom of my heart.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #663 of 775
Interesting point, the SoundMagics to me always performed much closer in dynamics and volume to my 300-ohm Senn. HD-600's so I wonder if they are closer to 200ohms. Yeah they sure have a lot of low end, but these headphone in 'stock' form actually do not accurately reproduce the bass frequencies, being a bit flabby and bloated that sounds one heck of a lot better (fast / controlled) with a few simple internal mods applied.
'glad the driver cleaning worked out for you. I too was flabbergasted when seeing how this same solution had fixed 1-2 other pairs of dynamic headphones; turns out most of the time you get low-end distortion only on one channel is from hair, unless the bass had otherwise been blasted to madly insane levels.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #664 of 775
Interesting point, the SoundMagics to me always performed much closer in dynamics and volume to my 300-ohm Senn. HD-600's so I wonder if they are closer to 200ohms. Yeah they sure have a lot of low end, but these headphone in 'stock' form actually do not accurately reproduce the bass frequencies, being a bit flabby and bloated that sounds one heck of a lot better (fast / controlled) with a few simple internal mods applied.
'glad the driver cleaning worked out for you. I too was flabbergasted when seeing how this same solution had fixed 1-2 other pairs of dynamic headphones; turns out most of the time you get low-end distortion only on one channel is from hair, unless the bass had otherwise been blasted to madly insane levels.

Which mods?

Aug 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #665 of 775
Which mods?
This is the link for the thread for modding guru Lyova's fine do-over of the HP-100's, which was done with my input in recent years. The main differences are added dynamat, dampening in a specific way and Dekoni replacement earpads. I took mine up to yet a whole other level thanks to silver plated copper cable ordered from a China eBay cable maker. I'll leave it to Lyova if he's ready to divulge his whole trade secrets on this mod, or otherwise you can send your SoundMagics to him for the upgrade (see the thread link above). I'm currently listening to my HP-100 mod on my travels in China+Japan and it works well both on the bus with great isolation and at home, and I was surprised that recently a non-audiophile said he liked this modded HP-100 better than my Sennheiser HD-600. Well I like this SoundMagic better for electronic music at least. The modded version of this headphone is almost as good as his modded T1 in a T5p body, of which impressed both myself and Jude when we demoed it at the 2017 L.A. CanJam

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #667 of 775
This is the link for the thread for modding guru Lyova's fine do-over of the HP-100's, which was done with my input in recent years. The main differences are added dynamat, dampening in a specific way and Dekoni replacement earpads. I took mine up to yet a whole other level thanks to silver plated copper cable ordered from a China eBay cable maker. I'll leave it to Lyova if he's ready to divulge his whole trade secrets on this mod, or otherwise you can send your SoundMagics to him for the upgrade (see the thread link above). I'm currently listening to my HP-100 mod on my travels in China+Japan and it works well both on the bus with great isolation and at home, and I was surprised that recently a non-audiophile said he liked this modded HP-100 better than my Sennheiser HD-600. Well I like this SoundMagic better for electronic music at least. The modded version of this headphone is almost as good as his modded T1 in a T5p body, of which impressed both myself and Jude when we demoed it at the 2017 L.A. CanJam

I'm a modder and builder too, so I have all of the required materials. I just haven't don't any mods to my HP-150 yet other thn swap the cups to a different headband due to a broken hinge.

I'll read through that thread and check out the mods (assuming he posted them).

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #668 of 775
haha, yeah it's a direct rip-off. Unfortunately the Superlux sounds terrible (and certainly nothing like it's Beredynamic twin. It's no biggie though, as I literally only bought them for the headband (to repair the soundMAGICs). You can also use the Superlux HD330, which is an open version of the 660. The Superlux HD330/660 can be had as cheap as $15-$20usd, so it's a no-brainer. It also comes with a hard carry/storage case, so that is like a free bonus.

As far as using them to repair the soundMAGICs, there are a few steps but nothing impossible if you know how to solder. I worked on this problem for close to a year (including trying to repair the broken joint, trying to make my joints to replace the broken soundMAGICs joints, and trying a number of other headphones before finding a compatible headband). The Superlux method is literally the only way I've found to repair the soundMAGICs and make them usable again.

I haven't done a detailed How2 yet, but it sounds like I probably should.

Basically, there's 3 main areas involved (2 of which are related to the wire):

1. Soldering a new wire between the cups
You can't reuse the stock wire from the soundMAGICs, because of the way it's routed through the headband and cups. So plan on soldering on a new wire between the cups once you mount them to the Superlux headband. You have 2 options - (desolder and) reuse the stock wire on the Superlux, or use a new wire. I used an AUX cord with nice OFC copper conductors that I just cut the ends off of, but you can use any small wire really (a good choice is also silver-plated wire from navships on ebay). Make sure you write down how the wiring goes on the soundMAGIC so you don't accidentally solder it incorrectly (swap channels, wire out of phase, etc). And like soldering on any headphone driver, you have to desolder and resolder very fast (<1 sec of soldering iron time) or you risk damaging the driver.

2. Routing the new wire
If you reuse the stock Superlux wire this step is done. If you want to use a new wire, routing a new wire through the Superlux headband is easy because the Superlux headband pad simply snaps on and off (just like a Beyerdynamic). You just have to make sure to leave a tiny bit of slack so the cups can tilt.

3. Mounting the cups
To get the soundMAGIC cups to fit onto the Superlux headband you have to reverse the little plastic ends - ie flip them around backwards. This is because there's a little protrusion on the plastic ends that acts as a 'cup stop', but this same protrusion interferes with the soundMAGIC cups. So flipping them around gets the protrusion out of the way. The plastic ends are held on by a tiny screw, and it only takes a few seconds to flip all 4 of them around.

Other than those things, it's a direct swap and perfect fit with the cups. And this is the best way to repair the soundMAGICs because you aren't just doing a driver swap - you are doing a cup swap. So the soundMAGICs will sound exactly the same. You can even swap the soundMAGIC ear pads with the Superlux pads, because they're the same diameter.

Be aware that you also lose all folding and rotation with the Superlux (just like with the Beredynamic) - the soundMAGIC becomes just a 'plain' headband, and has sliding adjustment only. But then again, the complicated and fragile DJ style folding/rotating system is what causes the soundMAGICs to fail in the 1st place.

I'll post a photo in a little bit showing how the plastic ends need to be swapped.

Where were you able to find hd660/330 so cheap? The cheapest I've found is about $40.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #669 of 775
Where were you able to find hd660/330 so cheap? The cheapest I've found is about $40.

Gearbest has it on flash sale all the time. Just wait for the next one and pick up a pair.

I have been very fortunate to come across some insane deals in the past though:

- Philips A50 Pro ($60 shipped)
- VSonic VSD5S ($15 shipped)
- Kingston HyperX Cloud II ($12 shipped)
- Philips SHL3300 ($7 shipped)
- KZ ZS5 ($9.99 shipped)

And most recently Akai Pro 50X for $0.05 shipped!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #670 of 775
I have owned the HP-150 for about 4 years now. The past 2 years it has just been sitting in storage. When I recently took them out, the cups are now sticky. Seems like they have deteriorated. Cant use wet tissue to clean, cause it will stick. Using a wet cloth doesnt help. The stickiness doesnt go away. What cleaning solution can help??

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #671 of 775
I have owned the HP-150 for about 4 years now. The past 2 years it has just been sitting in storage. When I recently took them out, the cups are now sticky. Seems like they have deteriorated. Cant use wet tissue to clean, cause it will stick. Using a wet cloth doesnt help. The stickiness doesnt go away. What cleaning solution can help??

It sounds like the rubberized coating is coming off or somehow affected. I would try plain soapy water on a damp rag. You could also try a Clorox wipe, and maybe alcohol (rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol).

I would try it in a small hidden place 1st, in case it negatively affects the rubberized coating.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #672 of 775
It sounds like the rubberized coating is coming off or somehow affected. I would try plain soapy water on a damp rag. You could also try a Clorox wipe, and maybe alcohol (rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol).

I would try it in a small hidden place 1st, in case it negatively affects the rubberized coating.

Sounds like a good theory. If it is the coating going south, I'd be inclined to remove it completely. Not sure what to use however - don't want to damage the plastic earcups

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #673 of 775
Sounds like a good theory. If it is the coating going south, I'd be inclined to remove it completely. Not sure what to use however - don't want to damage the plastic earcups

Agreed. Although if you damage the cups you could always paint them with spray paint made for plastic. You could also re-rubberize them (once you have removed the old rubber coating) by spraying on a product like Plasti-Dip.

I do know that gasoline can be used to remove Plasti-Dip rubberized coating. Perhaps it will work fine to remove the stock rubberized coating. Again, you would want to try it in an obscure hidden location to make sure it doesn't damage the plastic.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #674 of 775
Solvents should work, you'd just need to make sure you don't unintentionally convert the headphones into opened backs:wink:.

Maybe they could toss the cups into the freezer then sand em down once/if the coating hardens up

Dec 4, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #675 of 775
I think isopropyl alcohol would work. I have the same thing happening on my mechanical keyboard. The sides are all sticky. Used those wet isopropyl alcohol wipes and after rubbing, the keyboard is smooth now. Will try the same on my headphones when i get back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back