Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #437 of 775
Anyone upgrade to these from the Ultrasone HFI-780? They seem like similar headphones from the reviews... maybe a bit more neutral? Main reason I'm switching is to get more comfort honestly... my ears press against the insides of the cups of the HFI-780s and I want to avoid that in my next cans. Are the cups deep enough for big ears in practice?

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #438 of 775
Alright, this is an update on my experience with the HP150. I must have at least 60 hours use on them by now. I am not completely sure on the exact hour count though, as I ended up losing track after 20 plus hours. Out of the box, these puppies are indeed a bit bright. They were not ear piercing though. There was just a bit of extra energy through the upper mids and treble. Now, I will say though that the sound of these headphones changes quite a bit after burning in. I don't mean just burning in for 10 hours either. Put 40 plus hours on these, and just listen to what happens to the sound. It changes the sound by a significant amount. At this point, I now listen to these headphones totally flat. I no longer use an EQ adjustment at all. Paired up with my Fiio E12 (bass boost off as the HP150 does not need it) the HP150 sounds fantastic for the 200 dollar price level.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, I also own the AKG K612 Pro. The HP150 is just a flat out better sounding headphone. There is no question about it. The detail retrieval that was missing in the K612 Pro that I discussed in that thread is definitely present on the Soundmagic. Small details that are either distant or far in the back of mix with the K612 are definitely on display on the HP150. It offers a more articulate presentation of the music. They have that additional sparkle up top that the K612 Pro just does not have as well. It is amazing though what happened after a good 50 of use or so. The bass tightened up a little bit more. That upper midrange aggression though just smoothed right out. The extra brightness in the highs mellowed as well. At this point, I do not find them bright at all. They sound as they should for the price. In fact, I think a person would be hard pressed to find a better sound at this price. I have tried many headphones at the 200 buck level in my time, and this one is the best I have found thus far at this cost. If you find them a bit bright, just leave them for 2 days letting music play through them continuously for 48 hours. At that point, take another listen. You will notice the improvement right away.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #440 of 775
I just got mine delivered two days ago.. Haven't had much time to listen to them yet, too much work etc, but first impressions are very very very promising :)

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #441 of 775
  I am happy to join the club. After a delay in shipping, my HP150 finally showed up today. So far, I have to say these are very different sounding headphones than my AKG K612 Pro. Soundstage on the HP150 is absolutely comparable to the K612 Pro though. In fact, the spaciousness, imaging, separation, and instrument location is extremely impressive for a closed headphone. These headphones are definitely not perfect though, but then again, what pair is. Perhaps burn in will change things, but there is definitely some extra energy in the 4 kHz to 10 kHz region. It is certainly not overly sibilant, but a tad bright across the top. Although I will say it is far less harsh in the upper frequencies than the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm I had a couple years ago. The bass is far better controlled on the HP150 as well. I am currently testing with some slight EQ adjustments, and enjoying the process of listening with these puppies. I love the sub bass bump though. It gives hard rock and heavy metal such a toe tapping and fun groove without being boomy. With my Fiio E12, I leave the bass boost off. With it enabled, it just completely causes a massive bump and total chaos across the entire bass range. I do not like it at all. This is my current set up.

HT OMEGA Claro Plus ->Fiio E12->HP150

Great impressions buddy, I agree with all of what you said.

One thing to note is the incredible soundstage for being closed cans.

Indeed, the soundstage is fantastic for a closed can. I mentioned it in my previous post when I first purchased the headphones.
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #443 of 775
It is thinner than something like the Oppo PM-3 but I would not say it is recessed mid range is slightly but nothing huge, and still has good tone and neutrality with decent imaging, good detail. It is a fantastic headphone at the price. 

Feb 17, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #444 of 775
  Alright, this is an update on my experience with the HP150. I must have at least 60 hours use on them by now. I am not completely sure on the exact hour count though, as I ended up losing track after 20 plus hours. Out of the box, these puppies are indeed a bit bright. They were not ear piercing though. There was just a bit of extra energy through the upper mids and treble. Now, I will say though that the sound of these headphones changes quite a bit after burning in. I don't mean just burning in for 10 hours either. Put 40 plus hours on these, and just listen to what happens to the sound. It changes the sound by a significant amount. At this point, I now listen to these headphones totally flat. I no longer use an EQ adjustment at all. Paired up with my Fiio E12 (bass boost off as the HP150 does not need it) the HP150 sounds fantastic for the 200 dollar price level.

As I mentioned in a previous posting, I also own the AKG K612 Pro. The HP150 is just a flat out better sounding headphone. There is no question about it. The detail retrieval that was missing in the K612 Pro that I discussed in that thread is definitely present on the Soundmagic. Small details that are either distant or far in the back of mix with the K612 are definitely on display on the HP150. It offers a more articulate presentation of the music. They have that additional sparkle up top that the K612 Pro just does not have as well. It is amazing though what happened after a good 50 of use or so. The bass tightened up a little bit more. That upper midrange aggression though just smoothed right out. The extra brightness in the highs mellowed as well. At this point, I do not find them bright at all. They sound as they should for the price. In fact, I think a person would be hard pressed to find a better sound at this price. I have tried many headphones at the 200 buck level in my time, and this one is the best I have found thus far at this cost. If you find them a bit bright, just leave them for 2 days letting music play through them continuously for 48 hours. At that point, take another listen. You will notice the improvement right away.

Yes I agree it is a brighter headphone, in the upper midrange and lower treble, but like you said it does change over time and use, not even just brain burn in, the headphone I feel adjusts from use to give it an energetic but mostly neutral signature, and I also listen to it flat no eq( where as when I had the HP100( put a couple hundred hours on it I did the same eqed for a while then eventually no longer needed it). Also the Fiio E12a (better opamps and buffers, IMO, but similar in other ways) bass boost off with it and it sounds very good. I use that and the Meier 2Stepdance( favorite out of the bunch and the portable I have used that compares in terms of sound quality with the iBasso PB2(lm49710 opamps).   

Thanks for your impressions it is always nice to hear people give a great headphone time to adjust and give some honest opinions on it.

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #445 of 775
I have a question for this group. If you have had to deal with SoundMAGIC for any reason after your purchase, how have you found customer service to be? Have they been helpful and on the ball, or not so much? I have had some recent experiences with them (which I won't elaborate on so I don't bias anyone either way). Thanks for your input.

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #446 of 775
  I have a question for this group. If you have had to deal with SoundMAGIC for any reason after your purchase, how have you found customer service to be? Have they been helpful and on the ball, or not so much? I have had some recent experiences with them (which I won't elaborate on so I don't bias anyone either way). Thanks for your input.

I have not had to deal with them for anything. Then again, I completely baby all of my electronics. When I take my headphones off, I place them on a foam pad so they never get scratched. Yes, I am that careful. My HP150 and K612 Pro headphones are both brand new looking. I used to own the DT770 Pro 250 ohm. When I sold it, the guy who bought them asked if I had even used them. Yes, they looked that new.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #448 of 775
I guess it would depend on how you define "larger ears"
wink_face.gif

In my case the overall diameter was OK, but the earpads weren't quite deep enough to keep my sticky out ears from touching the earcups (tbh, I'm getting the impression that my ears aren't 100% compatible with round earcups in general). Since switched to hm5 angled pads, helps quite a bit

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #449 of 775
Okay, so now I've spent some time with these. And holy **** these are good. I've never owned any super duper high end stuff, but these easily run circles around everything I've ever heard. At least for me, these aren't new headphones, they are a new yardstick..

I also found the original pads a bit too shallow, but I took the memory foam HM5 pads I previously used on my Takstar Pro80 and added some stuff under the rim to get some more distance, and they work absolutely brilliant, super comfortable. It takes a bit of work to get those pads on, but no huge problems really.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #450 of 775
Okay, so now I've spent some time with these. And holy **** these are good. I've never owned any super duper high end stuff, but these easily run circles around everything I've ever heard. At least for me, these aren't new headphones, they are a new yardstick..

I also found the original pads a bit too shallow, but I took the memory foam HM5 pads I previously used on my Takstar Pro80 and added some stuff under the rim to get some more distance, and they work absolutely brilliant, super comfortable. It takes a bit of work to get those pads on, but no huge problems really.
Ya Broseph, the HP150 runs circles around the M50. It's not even a contest. From the stuff I've heard, the HP150 is probably the best closed back headphone under $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back