SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #662 of 1,386

I'm in Canada and got mine on Amazon HERE

Yep, i was going to post the same thing, soundshine is awesome... although i didn't buy from them, the customer service is top notch and free shipping world wide.. what? -_-

Thanks for all your help guys :)
I should have put a little more effort into researching, haha

How much did it come out as including taxes and shipping?

Free and FREE... it came to 200 even when i purchased it first time but they didn't have any in stock at that moment so they cancelled.

Also, if you don't do your research, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Unless you're millionaire and couldn't give a ****, but then you wouldn't be here looking at a pair of $200 headphones -_-

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #663 of 1,386
  Yep, i was going to post the same thing, soundshine is awesome... although i didn't buy from them, the customer service is top notch and free shipping world wide.. what? -_-

Free and FREE... it came to 200 even when i purchased it first time but they didn't have any in stock at that moment so they cancelled.

Also, if you don't do your research, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Unless you're millionaire and couldn't give a ****, but then you wouldn't be here looking at a pair of $200 headphones -_-

Haha, I can see that. I almost ordered one from a shady website for $230!
Would've been bad...

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #665 of 1,386
The Mad Dog are a league about the soundmagic. The HP100 sound thin compared to the MD too. They are still awesome though and compare well to some good phones such as the K550, Momentum and many more.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #666 of 1,386
I had a different experience.  I may have posted about them in a thread with a title similar to Mad Dog vs. HP100.  I preferred the HP100s.  The Mad Dogs sounded weird to me; the soundstage sounded cluttered, as though all the instruments were fighting to reach my ears the fastest.  It was an odd sensation. Here's the link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664646/mad-dogs-vs-soundmagic-hp100

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #667 of 1,386
That is a strange experience, I find the MD to have excellent separation. The soundstage nice and spacious similar to the DT770. The soundstage on the soundmagic I found ok, not as good as the MD or DT770. The MD have such a thick and liquid sound, The soundmagic sounds grainy and thin when I compare then. PM phones are odd sounding though at first. It took my a while to get used to the sound.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #668 of 1,386
The Mad Dog are a league about the soundmagic. The HP100 sound thin compared to the MD too. They are still awesome though and compare well to some good phones such as the K550, Momentum and many more.

Ehhh, I kinda disagree... the Mod Dog are a different sound signiture. I like the mids and Highs of the HP 100 over the Mad DOg, but the Mad Dog had better sound stage 2D and 3D as well as Bass

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #670 of 1,386

Interesting... What about detail??

I can't remember honestly... I would say I prefered the Details presentation on the Hp 100, but honestly I feed the Hp 100 out of my balanced NFB 10ES2 and my Mad Dog through an oDac +Indeed G3 Tube.... so my source and amp at the time where... very sub Par for driving the Mad Dog. 

Honestly, the Mad Dog may be better with proper amplfication! Hp 100 out of iPhone and Mad Dog out of iPhone the Hp 100 I would think would have more deatils, due to the... more balanced sound imo. The Mad dog felt VERY thick and warm and with low end Dacs and Cheap Tubes... the details wheren't stellar...but again it's hard to make an honest statement based on the differances in my Source and amo when I owned each! 

Nov 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #671 of 1,386
I do like the Soundmagic but like the K550 I can't find one area I prefer it over the Mad dog. I believe the Mad dog are true Hifi at mid range price. I have owned so many mid range phones and when I listen to the Dogs they just have that upgrade and next level feel. Another headphone I'm very fond of are the MA900.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #672 of 1,386
How much do the mad dogs go for these days? $350? They're also planar magnetic drivers too right? I'm sure the sound signature is really different then.. it probably just comes down to personal preference.

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #673 of 1,386
They are 300. Yes they are different but you can still compare headphones. One can be technically better while having a different flavor.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #675 of 1,386
They are 300. Yes they are different but you can still compare headphones. One can be technically better while having a different flavor.

True, but the Mad Dog requires more power to be drien properly. About 1w. Which isn't a lot but it's more than even a Fiio E21 can drive. My point being is the HP 100 is easier to drive and a better choice for new members. Who don't have powerful enough amps to drive the Mad Dog. Not to mention the price. The HP 100 is a better deal imo. It's easy to drive, and has a neutral sound. WHere as the Mad DOg is technically better, it's more expensive and requires an amplifier. Now if you have a amp powerful enough then the MD is a good choice. 

Thanks for all your comparisons. Maybe I should find occasion to try Mad Dog.

Again if you don't have a amp powerful enough look to something else. It's a great headphone but not one for new members or rather not for people who don't already have a nice Source and Amp to pair it with! Yes it's technically better, but the HP 100 will pair better with low end gear, cell phones and amps like the FIio E6 and E11 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back