SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #601 of 1,386
  Hmm I thought that fabric was added after the problem with first batch or something, guess not. My box have Feb-13 serial date by the way.

Whoa Jan 12 for me

Sep 13, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #602 of 1,386
   great review. looks awesome

Thanks and indeed the w1000x Pads... just make these better

The bass get's punchier not loose, the mids come forward a bit and sound stage and imaging are overall better... I think it's because the w1000x pads are angled and they indeed are, the bottoms are thinner the tops. So the whole sound stage is just... better they are a tad more open yet the isolate all teh same. One thing I notice is the sound stage is a touch taller and deeper...

YAY :D 

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #603 of 1,386
Nov 12 here with fabric. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #604 of 1,386
pff I see no one cares about the new pads I discovered that FIT and improvement the Sound Magic Hp 100. More mid bass, more sound stage and better imaging FTW, the only dwn side is the mids come a touch forward. but the increased sound stage maintains the balance 

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #605 of 1,386

the bottoms are thinner the tops

Actually I've been using this kind of configuration for a long time now, I cut some felt long and thin then slip it on the top of the pad underside (tried putting it on the bottom and left too, bad idea), economic way to net a new sonic presentation though real angled pad like yours is probably better. Not sure where to get W1000X pad.

Other mod I did : putting some UHU putty gray on the driver forming a ring around it and more putty on the inside cup very sparsely and periodically (not covering the whole inside cup).

Sep 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #606 of 1,386
  Actually I've been using this kind of configuration for a long time now, I cut some felt long and thin then slip it on the top of the pad underside (tried putting it on the bottom and left too, bad idea), economic way to net a new sonic presentation though real angled pad like yours is probably better. Not sure where to get W1000X pad.

Other mod I did : putting some UHU putty gray on the driver forming a ring around it and more putty on the inside cup very sparsely and periodically (not covering the whole inside cup).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-HP-W1000X-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-W1000X-Pair-Freeshipping-/271149287016?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3f21c1c668

@MShenay

Thanks for the information, I might buy them.  Are they deeper than the stock pads as well?

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #608 of 1,386

Ooh, interesting. I'd like to know this, as well.

actually... they kinda sit on top and around your ears So... yea and no. The isolation is almost the same... maybe not... either way it isolates more than the K550

and please shop at Audio Cube 2 :3 

I mean they might not be cheaper but it is straight from Japan so support the HOME land 

But yea, the mids come forward a smidge, the bass and treble remain neutral an balanced.. how ever the mid bass returns [on my first edition version] and have a nice punch to it. Also there is more hight and depth, while the Width remains the same. The sound is also more focused. 

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #609 of 1,386

actually... they kinda sit on top and around your ears So... yea and no. The isolation is almost the same... maybe not... either way it isolates more than the K550

and please shop at Audio Cube 2 :3 

I mean they might not be cheaper but it is straight from Japan so support the HOME land 

But yea, the mids come forward a smidge, the bass and treble remain neutral an balanced.. how ever the mid bass returns [on my first edition version] and have a nice punch to it. Also there is more hight and depth, while the Width remains the same. The sound is also more focused. 

I have very small ears so I am not sure that will be a problem.  I also wouldn't mind losing a BIT of isolation as these isolate so well for me that I sometimes instinctively try to clear my ears because it feels like I have a head cold
biggrin.gif
.  I wouldn't mind the forward mids either.

Sounds like a real option for me.

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #610 of 1,386
I haven't had much luck with the HP100 so far.  The first one I received from Ama*on would not work when plugged in. I would get a bit of sound until the plug was seated, then nothing.  Shining a flashlight into the cord jack I could see a loose red wire.  I returned the first and received a second pair, dated Apr 2012.  This pair works but has a very different sound signature than what has been described here.  While there is a light presence of low bass, there is a very strong suck-out in the mid bass and lower midrange.  The upper midrange is very pronounced and the highs are ok.  The overall effect is almost what you get with speakers being wired out of phase.  Bass strings, for instance, have no low resonance - they sound more like guitar strings.  Surely there must be something wrong here!  Source is AK100 with ALO International and iPhone 5.

Having read all the comments in the last 40 pages, there are some very different views on how the HP100 sounds.  Could some of the variance be due to quality control?  There is also mention of different versions of this headphone but I could not discern any consistent sound comments related to the versions.  I want to like the headphone but this surely cannot be the sound signature that has been described.  I am not a bass head and my other headphones are K702, K500, HD598, ZMF Fostex T50.

Perhaps the sound will get better with burn-in, but I don't think it would be that different.  Right now, it looks like another return. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #611 of 1,386
   While there is a light presence of low bass, there is a very strong suck-out in the mid bass and lower midrange.  

Uhh yea that's pretty much how mine sound. Nice deep sub bass sucked out low mids and mid bass... the w1000x pads bring that bass back into the mix, along with the low mids 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #612 of 1,386
Around $50 for the W1000X pad, interesting, though I don't want any more midbass than my recabled HP100 has, it's already borderline for me on some song. Anyone here have heard the alpha pads?

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #613 of 1,386
  Around $50 for the W1000X pad, interesting, though I don't want any more midbass than my recabled HP100 has, it's already borderline for me on some song. Anyone here have heard the alpha pads?

MORE mid bass, well it's not MORE but rather it's cleaner and more focused. there's a touch more space int eh instruments which makes the bass... more focused. It is not pushed forward or louder, but rather it has more impact while remaining in the same sonic position as the Stock pads. It's got the punch is was missing, the attack is more aggressive, where as what your talking about it decay, to much decay is usually bad, but you a little extra attack is what brings the punch in, 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #614 of 1,386
No I'm not talking about bass decay, it's literally about 3-5db louder than the non recabled one, however it's not muddy at all. 

I don't think the stock HP100 lack bass punch at all by the way. Oh well, I'll see if I can loan some pads on local headphone shop, doubt it though. 

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #615 of 1,386
  No I'm not talking about bass decay, it's literally about 3-5db louder than the non recabled one, however it's not muddy at all. 

I don't think the stock HP100 lack bass punch at all by the way. Oh well, I'll see if I can loan some pads on local headphone shop, doubt it though. 

If they have a w1000x just pop em off the w1k and onto the Sound magic hp 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back