SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #571 of 1,386
Been saying that HP100 has weak midbass the entire time lol, and actually that's really ideal for me. 
tongue.gif

Haven't heard W1000X but W1000 has that very strange color/timbre on its mid, which I have to hear for a few song before my ears adapt itself, surely it's a love or hate things. Nice cans otherwise.

As for the coiled cable things, I just hate how bulky and heavy it is (relative to the headphone), I can even feel it pulling down the left cup. And yeah, I also change the 3.5mm to mini XLR and am changing internal wiring too.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #572 of 1,386
  Been saying that HP100 has weak midbass the entire time lol, and actually that's really ideal for me. 
tongue.gif

Haven't heard W1000X but W1000 has that very strange color/timbre on its mid, which I have to hear for a few song before my ears adapt itself, surely it's a love or hate things. Nice cans otherwise.

As for the coiled cable things, I just hate how bulky and heavy it is (relative to the headphone), I can even feel it pulling down the left cup. And yeah, I also change the 3.5mm to mini XLR and am changing internal wiring too.

very good, and where was u like 5 hours ago xD when we needed you lol

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #573 of 1,386
Doing, uh, stuff. 
tongue.gif

If you like some midbass, maybe player/amp with bass boost will work well, HP100 responds very well with X3 bass boost when I tried it. Too bad the player itself sounds a tad unpolished IMHO.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #574 of 1,386
I noticed these don't have angled drivers, anybody ever try toilet paper behind the back side of the ear cups to make them angled and notice any differences? Mostly sound stage i'm guessing.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #575 of 1,386
  I noticed these don't have angled drivers, anybody ever try toilet paper behind the back side of the ear cups to make them angled and notice any differences? Mostly sound stage i'm guessing.

So which parts am I stuffing?  I will try it, but I don't know what is considered the "back side".  Would that be behind my ears and a bit at the top of the pads?  Also, how much would I use?

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #576 of 1,386
  So which parts am I stuffing?  I will try it, but I don't know what is considered the "back side".  Would that be behind my ears and a bit at the top of the pads?  Also, how much would I use?

Well you don't have to try it, i definitely will though when i get my pair.
Check out this thread to get an idea.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/564954/mod-to-virtually-angle-the-drivers-of-the-ath-ad900 and this one too, if you'd like.. http://www.head-fi.org/t/144583/koss-ur40-angled-drivers-mod

This also would probably make them more comfortable if your ears touch the drivers. I'm pretty sure different materials would also effect the sound.. so like my sex-ed teacher has always said to me, "Experiment, the possibilities are endless!!" 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #577 of 1,386
It was discussed some pages back and yes I've tried it, on several spots even. It mostly make the phone even brighter and make you lose even more mid bass body, so it's not really a good idea.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #578 of 1,386
Omg guys, listening to Sub.FM [Sub Bass Radio] added a +3 db to 100 hrz and the Sound Magics are destroying the K550 for SUB heavy music [I add a +3 db to 100 hrz on every can I use to listen to EDM] 

Even without the boost, the sub bass is NICE 

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #579 of 1,386
  Omg guys, listening to Sub.FM [Sub Bass Radio] added a +3 db to 100 hrz and the Sound Magics are destroying the K550 for SUB heavy music [I add a +3 db to 100 hrz on every can I use to listen to EDM] 

Even without the boost, the sub bass is NICE 

WHEWRWE IS THAT REVIEIEW!! ..I'M RUNNNIN OUTTA PATIENCEEE!!! lol j/k

You mean you SUBTRACT everything but the 100 Hz range... because it's always better to subtract then add..... right? 
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #580 of 1,386

WHEWRWE IS THAT REVIEIEW!! ..I'M RUNNNIN OUTTA PATIENCEEE!!! lol j/k

You mean you SUBTRACT everything but the 100 Hz range... because it's always better to subtract then add..... right? 
tongue.gif

Yeap, I always EQ dwn, or rather I EQ up then have fooBar Auto Level [which results in a eq down]

REVIEW
10/10
IT's AWESOME BUY IT

There... until I get a day off I'm too busy with school and work to write one up q.q 

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #581 of 1,386
So I finally got my recabled HP100 dual sided with Vermouth UPOCC (copper) cable, my first reaction was : HOLY MIDBASS GOODNESS. And it's not bloated bass either but clean well textured bass (though not super detailed like TH600).

It practically perfected HP100 frequency response to my ears. And to think I was actually very skeptical of cable sound... no more.

Thinking of 3D printing open cup for it but I don't really have the expertise or time for it for now... 

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #582 of 1,386
  So I finally got my recabled HP100 dual sided with Vermouth UPOCC (copper) cable, my first reaction was : HOLY MIDBASS GOODNESS. And it's not bloated bass either but clean well textured bass (though not super detailed like TH600).

It practically perfected HP100 frequency response to my ears. And to think I was actually very skeptical of cable sound... no more.

Thinking of 3D printing open cup for it but I don't really have the expertise or time for it for now... 

Good lord, first who recabled your Sound magic 100, second WHAT THE HELL did it cost and Third :O I want to hear it

thinking of getting mine ReCabled to be balanced for use with my Home Set up and with my Pb1. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #583 of 1,386

Good lord, first who recabled your Sound magic 100, second WHAT THE HELL did it cost and Third :O I want to hear it

thinking of getting mine ReCabled to be balanced for use with my Home Set up and with my Pb1. 

A local DIYer for the grand total of about $40 including the 5ft UPOCC cable 
tongue.gif

DO IT, I always thought that this cans was held back by the cable and it's spot on my HP100. Get some quality cable, copper (UPOCC if you can get it cheap) seems to be a better idea than silver cable.

Some day I'd get a balanced cable too, just have to get the dac/amp setup first 
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #584 of 1,386

A local DIYer for the grand total of about $40 including the 5ft UPOCC cable 
tongue.gif

DO IT, I always thought that this cans was held back by the cable and it's spot on my HP100. Get some quality cable, copper (UPOCC if you can get it cheap) seems to be a better idea than silver cable.

Some day I'd get a balanced cable too, just have to get the dac/amp setup first 
wink.gif

OMG did he keep the cable de tachable AND re wire the terminate port in side. If so DUDE SEND ME HIS CONTACTS. I would TOTALLY love to get my Sound Magic Recabled [ofc I would pay the $40 + shipping cost] and I to hear that Copper has better bass response than Silver [which is more for the highs I think] 

That said I'm trying to review the sound magic still, my K550 Ath A900x and Sound magic Comparison is live though :D now GO AND POPULATE MY THREAD xD 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680549/mid-fi-sub-200-grudge-match-the-quest-for-neutrality-live-comparisons-started-to-be-updated

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #585 of 1,386

Users who are viewing this thread

Back