SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #586 of 1,386

OMG did he keep the cable de tachable AND re wire the terminate port in side. If so DUDE SEND ME HIS CONTACTS. I would TOTALLY love to get my Sound Magic Recabled [ofc I would pay the $40 + shipping cost] and I to hear that Copper has better bass response than Silver [which is more for the highs I think] 

That said I'm trying to review the sound magic still, my K550 Ath A900x and Sound magic Comparison is live though :D now GO AND POPULATE MY THREAD xD 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680549/mid-fi-sub-200-grudge-match-the-quest-for-neutrality-live-comparisons-started-to-be-updated

Ran into problem with the mini xlr socket (bought the wrong one...), it was too big to fit inside HP100 so for now it's wired directly to the driver. I'll try again later after getting the right socket.

I live far away from USA so I think you'd better off using your local service like BTG cable maybe? It'd be far faster and safer (and maybe cheaper) than getting them shipped here and back. 
tongue.gif

Uh, maybe later. It's a little ugly on one side with the failed attempt to fit the xlr socket. 
redface.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #587 of 1,386

Ran into problem with the mini xlr socket (bought the wrong one...), it was too big to fit inside HP100 so for now it's wired directly to the driver. I'll try again later after getting the right socket.

I live far away from USA so I think you'd better off using your local service like BTG cable maybe? It'd be far faster and safer (and maybe cheaper) than getting them shipped here and back. 
tongue.gif

Uh, maybe later. It's a little ugly on one side with the failed attempt to fit the xlr socket. 
redface.gif

yea post ur location already sheesh, I could track your If I REALLY wanted to know where you live, so don't be all paranoid about not having your location displayed, trust me there is no privacy on the internet

Picture of my Current At School Di.Fm Rig

http://hifilittleriver.blogspot.com/ >:3 CLICK it 

Sadly the only reCabler's I know will charge about $100 minmum for the recable 

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #588 of 1,386
Let's just say that I live in a not so small asian country with that cheap of a labor cost :p

Really, with the shipping and custom (we have draconian custom office here) it's probably cheaper to recable on there.

Sep 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #589 of 1,386
  Let's just say that I live in a not so small asian country with that cheap of a labor cost :p

Really, with the shipping and custom (we have draconian custom office here) it's probably cheaper to recable on there.

Yea I figured, now CLICK the link and behold my sexy portable rig! 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #591 of 1,386
WOOT on my Third Song for the Sound Magic :D, sadly the Dt 880 whoops up on it in every category [yes volume is matched] I will say both retain the same level of detail! And for on the Go I really do enjoy the sound magic. it's about 15% less in terms of Sq vs the Dt 880 but OH WAIT the Sound Magic Isolates :D which means in a noisy enviorment they sound about the same [noise kills open cans]

Not to mention I can't use open cans in class xD 

However, the Dt 880 is just a SMIDGE to quick and lean for Rock Vocals, the SLIGHTY slower closed Sound Magic Hp still does better with ROck Vocals and music all together 

it's a touch more intamite due to the smaller sound stage, which works to it's advantage with rock and the slight lack of speed [or rather extra decay] on the mids is nice for rock. It's QUICK enough to really keep up with fast guitar tracks, but has enough decay to keep rock riffs enjoyable. Metal how ever is only good with the Dt 880, every other can I own is to slow atm [but I don't like metal] 

It really is like a blend of my Dt 880 and w1000x, Which makes it my ideal portable Can :3 

Sep 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #592 of 1,386
  After auditioning these at length today i find myself very very confused by some of the comments and reviews Ive found regarding these cans and the HP200. At first i thought it was my gear, so i tried other sources, and other amps.... Then i asked for two other sets of ears. 

We all came to the same conclusion: Yes the reviews are right these are severely under represented GREAT headphones... But the reviews were also wrong- with hip hop, electronica, etc and no bass boost on (out of the test sources and amps only the C421 even had the ability), these cans could be easily lumped into the bass monster category. 

Ill compile a complete review once i spend at least a full day or two with these and build on it as time goes by, but these are my and my peers initial findings. We even pulled out some DT770 and 990, some FA003ti titanium driver editions, and several other bass heavy cans to compare- these not only stood up to them... But in most cases dominated them. No smiley V shaped sig, a full sound with extended and somewhat accentuated bass.

agree, these have some overdone upper bass, that leads to some kind of roar. and makes them warmer than i would like.

WHAT I wonder which Version I have as my Version is very well it lacks Upper Mid bass... A LOT 

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #594 of 1,386
  I they sure don't seem like bass monsters to me. Funny how we all like them, but hear them in different ways.
Its amazing how much audio processing goes on between the ears!
gs1000.gif

WRONG actually there are 3 Versions of them!  I knew there was something up with the build quality. It was brought up in the thread way back... yet I have no idea to tell which version I have. There are some who heard a lot of Mid Bass and others who [like me and a few othres of us] think it's lacking... apprently Amazon is selling older bass light versions... 

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #595 of 1,386
FWIW My "VIP" card is number 17xx and the stock form is a bit light on the mid to upper bass but has amazing sub bass IMHO.

Alright now that I've heard more, with the new cable the midbass actually became a bit too much for me on some song (and AMAZING on other) LOL. Never had this problem before, maybe I'll try silver or silver coated next time...

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #596 of 1,386
SoundMAGIC has stated that there are three different versions of the same headphone?
For the record, mine was purchased from Amazon and isn't lacking in bass. It isn't a DT770. But certainly not lacking.

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #597 of 1,386
  FWIW My "VIP" card is number 17xx and the stock form is a bit light on the mid to upper bass but has amazing sub bass IMHO.

Mines xxxxxxx86? And yea members of the Anime Thread mentioned the different versions, and again it's in this thread WAY back in the begining 

Maybe I do have stock? The Mid and Upper bass are a little lacking LIke a Double bass, I'd like a touch more kick out of it but I do enjoy them [hell the make the Dt 880 bass heavenly] 

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #598 of 1,386

Mines xxxxxxx86? And yea members of the Anime Thread mentioned the different versions, and again it's in this thread WAY back in the begining 

Maybe I do have stock? The Mid and Upper bass are a little lacking LIke a Double bass, I'd like a touch more kick out of it but I do enjoy them [hell the make the Dt 880 bass heavenly] 

86? Seems like yours is the very first batch. If you open the pad do you see a thin fabric covering the metal driver?

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #599 of 1,386

86? Seems like yours is the very first batch. If you open the pad do you see a thin fabric covering the metal driver?

If I look inside the pad yea there's a thing fabric patch there.I removed the ePads and yes tehre's a black thin piece of fabric on them drivers 

Holy crap... I slapped my spare w1000x Stock pads on and they fit! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back