SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #556 of 1,386
  I think there is a quality issues with Sound Magic

I always wonder that when I hear total different reports of sonic characteristics of different headphones. Since this is their first big can, I've made sure to test mine on a large variety of music.

Sounds like you getting along with them well anyway.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #557 of 1,386
  I always wonder that when I hear total different reports of sonic characteristics of different headphones. Since this is their first big can, I've made sure to test mine on a large variety of music.

Sounds like you getting along with them well anyway.

Like wise. I feel teh same way 

icuwhatudidtherebtw

Still I feel everything should have a positive and a negative to it. Pros and Cons, even the Beyerdyanmic Dt 770 was wacky for a few years. Either way I really like mine so I'm a happy customer and an egar recommender of these. AND I like that these had equal negative and positive hype! which means I can support these without feeling like I'm just "running on hype" like the KEF 500... until I start hearing some more ppl hating them I won't buy it... to much positivity is a bad thing in a hobby that is SO subjective 

Sadly though these don't have quite enough low end weight for Metal, yet they are awesome with Rock [the Dt 880 is the exact oppisite good with metal bad with rock] it is proably due to them being closed 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #558 of 1,386
 low end weight for Metal

Do you listen to Doom at all? If you can find access to it, listen to Bong's "Mana-Yood-Sushai". This had a great level of bass presence for me. I'd be interested to hear what you hear. Might pin down a potential QC issue.

Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on the hype-train on any enthusiast type of forum. The only time I got hit by that train was some Fischer Audio iems that fell apart and felt like sandpaper in my ears.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #559 of 1,386
Kind of derailing, but is AIFF in the same league as FLAC?  I wanted to see if I could hear a difference between 320 and something less lossy, but I don't have the plugin for FLAC on Foobar, so I used AIFF.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #560 of 1,386
How's the clamping force on these? Will i be able to lay down with them on or do they fall off easily without the headband support?

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #561 of 1,386
  Kind of derailing, but is AIFF in the same league as FLAC?  I wanted to see if I could hear a difference between 320 and something less lossy, but I don't have the plugin for FLAC on Foobar, so I used AIFF.

... I think it's like the same thing... yea... I think it's better than Lossless actually...or maybe AIFF is... it's not worse than FLAC xD it's either better or the same 

why you got some Aiffs :D 

How's the clamping force on these? Will i be able to lay down with them on or do they fall off easily without the headband support?

uhh they clamp pretty well... I mean just as much as my Beyer Pros so yea you should b ok! 
  Do you listen to Doom at all? If you can find access to it, listen to Bong's "Mana-Yood-Sushai". This had a great level of bass presence for me. I'd be interested to hear what you hear. Might pin down a potential QC issue.

Yeah, you gotta keep an eye on the hype-train on any enthusiast type of forum. The only time I got hit by that train was some Fischer Audio iems that fell apart and felt like sandpaper in my ears.

Not bass pressance, low Mid pressance, The Distorted Guitar Riffs have the Edgey crunch but lack the weight and heft of the low tones 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #564 of 1,386
  ahhh...haven't noticed that, but now I will. Damn you.

Tee hee, sorry bout that. Get your self a nice warm solid State and you shall be golden! Honestly I'm very excited about hearing these out of the Hm 801 :D 

Hmm some more... well you know :3 quality defeiciancies 

3D imaging is slighty lacking in depth my Binaural jazz piece revealed that, the 3D sense of space is slighty lost some on the Hp 100 over the Dt 880, how ever left and right seperation is fantastic! In addition the k550 has slighty better 3D placement over the Hp 100 

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #565 of 1,386
@Mshenay

I feel like there must be some quality control issues because from my Magni (a slightly bright amp), my HP100 shakes on my head in bass-heavy songs.  I can feel the bass riff if I put my hand on the cup.  I'm not a basshead, but I definitely wouldn't describe the bass as lacking weight.  I listen to a lot of edm, and I am very satisfied.  Everything else you have said has been fairly accurate.

You claimed that you listen to your music at a fairly low level, and I listen at around 80 decibels, so that probably has something to do with it (obviously doesn't account for the huge difference in perception, though).

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #566 of 1,386
  @Mshenay

I feel like there must be some quality control issues because from my Magni (a slightly bright amp), my HP100 shakes on my head in bass-heavy songs.  I can feel the bass riff if I put my hand on the cup.  I'm not a basshead, but I definitely wouldn't describe the bass as lacking weight.  I listen to a lot of edm, and I am very satisfied.  Everything else you have said has been fairly accurate.

You claimed that you listen to your music at a fairly low level, and I listen at around 80 decibels, so that probably has something to do with it (obviously doesn't account for the huge difference in perception, though).

well actually it would account for a big differance, the sound Magic may scale the bass better at high volume and these by NO means shake my head they are just as deep and tight as my K550 and Dt 880, yea they lack a the mid bass of either, yet the increased Sub Bass, is just as enjoyable. Honestly my w1000x have MORE bass, which is not a great thing in all situations

So I like the bass right where it is, but for edm [I eq EVERYTHING for edm] I'd like a touch more sub Bass. And Trust me I Used to be a BASS HEAD. My old XB 700s would hit you like a freaking 12" on the side of your FACE... that was way to much bass for me. it still is. and I honestly like the bass on the Hp 100 as it is, just those mids need a little more mid punch, but the Hm 801 and pb1 help with that. 

For example in this track 

http://www.gamechops.com/dj-jo-tales-of-edm/

at NO point does the bass get loud enough to shake the ear cups [and  I know that feeling I used to shove 80 decibles of the XB 700 +22 Sub bass] so it must be some kind of quality thing 

While I these are not bad for EDM, I'd like a bass boosting amp for them xD. I was honestly expecting Ath a900x levels of bass but instead got K550 bass [and yes I used a BASS BOOST amp with my k550] 

so it must be some quality control, but that said I'd rather a tighter bass than a looser bigger bass. Also you guys remember there was another fellow who also felt there's where bass light, so it must be QC 

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #567 of 1,386

AIFF and FLAC are both lossless formats, so they should be exactly the same in audio quality.

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #568 of 1,386
AIFF and FLAC are both lossless formats, so they should be exactly the same in audio quality.

There you go, I think AIFF is encoded Different or something, but yea they should same the very same 

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #569 of 1,386
so it must be some quality control, but that said I'd rather a tighter bass than a looser bigger bass. Also you guys remember there was another fellow who also felt there's where bass light, so it must be QC 

Not necessarily. I think there are a lot of people on this forum that say that they like bass but don't know jack about it. A pair of headphones could have that stronger upper midbass emphasis that starts in the lower mids and then rolls off a lot starting under 100hz, and that's good bass. Or below 100hz bass that is emphasized but isn't very textured or detailed. And that's good bass. LOL

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #570 of 1,386
Not necessarily. I think there are a lot of people on this forum that say that they like bass but don't know jack about it. A pair of headphones could have that stronger upper midbass emphasis that starts in the lower mids and then rolls off a lot starting under 100hz, and that's good bass. Or below 100hz bass that is emphasized but isn't very textured or detailed. And that's good bass. LOL

I suppose, these are definatly strong around and up to about 50 or so hrz, but have some roll off around 100 for sure. ANd ofc it's very textured and detailed but it lacks the body that I want for EDM

For Rock music I love the bass, tight an puncy. Good detail very nice, and the low mids are pleasent as well, just not with Metal as they lack enough weight to have a tactile impact a midst the speed of the guitar riffs imo 

And we had a disucussion about this in the Science thread, and a modest mid bass hump around 100 or so hrz leads to a nice weight to the low mids, something that... has a hump deeper down around 80 with roll off before it even hits 100 tends to lack the weight in mids, 

Still I like the bass, it's not head rattleing as some have said, and it's not thin or non existent! It's just feature a sub bass peak, leading to slighty leaner than natrual mids imo. But I still enjoy it very much and like every can I own [outside the w1000x] I like to EQ it for EDM [the Dt 880 K550 and Dt 990 get a EQ for edm] 

Still these seem to be a sub bass can and that comes off audibly for me, the mid bass is slighty recessed compared to the Sub bass, and while that's not bad it's not ideal for me. Still great headphones, enjoy the sound, the fit is so easy [they fit just like a Beyer does] and I'm anxious to hear them out of my Hm 801, out of the Pb1 they sound very nice as well! 

the db1 one add's a touch of mid bass to them as well... yet the db and pb1 are both a tad warmer than my oDac and Matrix M Stage [Lme 49990 op] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back