SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #541 of 1,386
  Okay, good for you I guess (the offtopic one). And have a good listen to HP100 before you make judgment. 
wink.gif

Don't need a GOOD listen, but I will run them through my 7 songs review for a few hours. Then when the ShurEY 840 get's here... then the real dog fight begins. 

They do look good the Hp100s, and I LOVE the carrying case... and the LITTLE CLIP thing that comes inside the case xD that's so CONVEINT. So for sheer ease of use, I wish I got these a year ago q.q [and now I can recommend them over the K550 to every one]

But they are a combo of the Ath a900x [nice treble] and the K550 [nice mids] with the bass of neither one. And the comfort of both, and better extras. They do remind me of the Beyers [which I used my Beyer Leather case to carry my portable set up all last year] Don't think I can fit an hm801 and pb1 into the Sound Magic Case but that's no biggie

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #542 of 1,386
HP100 has way better mid than K550 when I compared them side by side, less grainy and yes I did get a good seal on K550, they have nice midbass (nothing compared to TH600 though) but HP100 destroy them on sub bass region. YMMV however.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #543 of 1,386
  HP100 has way better mid than K550 when I compared them side by side, less grainy and yes I did get a good seal on K550, they have nice midbass (nothing compared to TH600 though) but HP100 destroy them on sub bass region. YMMV however.

I will agree less grainy Mids, but the K550 were more forward, in adition Sub Bass the Sound Magic does NOT destory it... not at all. but both are very simmilar to each other and... I do agree. The Sub bass is equal but the K550 has more Mid bass

In adition the Sound Magic has smoother upper and central mids, also the lack of Mid bass leads to a lack of body in the Sound Magics lower mids [but this leaves the Sound Magic have the delicate weight mids of the Dt 880, a good thing] still people wanting a slithghty more intimate feel will like teh k550 

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #544 of 1,386
Maybe it's because I've modded (just a little dampening) mine but I don't think the mid on mine is less forward or laid back at all compared to K550 and DT880. Either way, I stand by my opinion that HP100 has way better sub bass than K550, however amplification play large part in this (they sound like a dud with Aune T1 for example), but M-Stage should be able to properly handle HP100... Maybe it's the song?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #545 of 1,386
  Maybe it's because I've modded (just a little dampening) mine but I don't think the mid on mine is less forward or laid back at all compared to K550 and DT880. Either way, I stand by my opinion that HP100 has way better sub bass than K550, however amplification play large part in this (they sound like a dud with Aune T1 for example), but M-Stage should be able to properly handle HP100... Maybe it's the song?

Very well could be, the gear we use and the songs we are listening to make a big differance. I use a MID heavy Dub Step song to review with as well, although the Wobble is a combination of HEAVY 50hrz and 150-230hrz,

Still the mods may be why yours has a little better bass ... I will admite they do have a lot of sub bass.. around 20-30 they are a tad bit heavier than the K550 and Dt 880, but there's not a whole lot that goes below 40. Good point, glad I noticed it 

Also I use this track for refrance [with bass EDM]

Also... another note on k550 vs Hp100... the K550 is a touch more intimate and has slighty forward mids but they are a touch grainy, the Hp 100 is a little more spacious sounding, both share the same instrument seperation BUT here is the best part about the Hp 100... THE HIGHS YAY, THe k550 has the most BORING highs EVER... the Hp 100 HAS SOME FREAKING treble so I like it more and more  

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #546 of 1,386
Can't test that song atm
redface.gif
, my HP100 is currently not with me for detach mod which sounds like a completely redundant mod to do but I'm fed up with the coiled cable so I'm changing the connector on the cup (and I'm curious how it will sound with other cable).

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #547 of 1,386
  Can't test that song atm
redface.gif
, my HP100 is currently not with me for detach mod which sounds like a completely redundant mod to do but I'm fed up with the coiled cable so I'm changing the connector on the cup (and I'm curious how it will sound with other cable).

Oh gawd that is right you can CABLE swap these bad bois! 

Although the issue with that, is your weakest link in the cable is what connectors that Female 3.5mm jack to both Drivers, if you want to REALLY get teh best out of your cable you'd need to recable those interconnectors in addition to getting a new cable. 

Even if you buy a FANCY silver 3.5mm interconnetor what connects that to the drivers still still hold you back, but the detable cable is nice. 

Also these do need a warm source, while they are smoother than the K550, the W1000x still whoops ass on the little ole Sound Magic [but my w1000x is modded to hell with leather L3000 pads and Dynamat dampening] 

Also why do you hate Colied Cables [I hate striaght cables my self] 

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #548 of 1,386
Would these do well with the FiiO E10? I'm not really interested in buying an expensive SS amp. 

It's either these or the ATH a900x's... i mostly want a closed back for a better bass response then my current HD 558's and i mostly listen laid back electronic music. The 558's have the detail, which i love, but they lack the bass and are not engaging (unless you blast the volume 
biggrin.gif
, but i want to sustain my hearing for the time being).

Also, i've read all 547 posts in this thread, and it always boggles my mind how people have different opinions on sound signatures on headphones. I'm always trying to decipher if the reviewer has buyers remorse and won't own up... god knows there's a lot of those reviews out there.. 
rolleyes.gif

If i do buy these and they turn out to be complete crap, i'm coming back to this thread and i'm coming for you, yeah, YOU! 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #549 of 1,386
  Would these do well with the FiiO E10? I'm not really interested in buying an expensive SS amp. 

It's either these or the ATH a900x's... i mostly want a closed back for a better bass response then my current HD 558's and i mostly listen laid back electronic music. The 558's have the detail, which i love, but they lack the bass and are not engaging (unless you blast the volume 
biggrin.gif
, but i want to sustain my hearing for the time being).

Also, i've read all 547 posts in this thread, and it always boggles my mind how people have different opinions on sound signatures on headphones. I'm always trying to decipher if the reviewer has buyers remorse and won't own up... god knows there's a lot of those reviews out there.. 
rolleyes.gif

If i do buy these and they turn out to be complete crap, i'm coming back to this thread and i'm coming for you, yeah, YOU! 
tongue_smile.gif

WHOO, check out my thread here for a review of the Ath a900x and SOund magic [I'm doing the Sound Magic review atm]

Honestly for EDM I'd say the Ath a900x, as it has a little more laid back sound and bass  and actually... for a good intro Dac and Headphone Amp I woudl get the E07k [it has EQ :O] 

The next thing is price, the Ath a900x is cheaper than the Sound Magic [assuming your buying both used] so it comes down to how much balance you want, both headphones have simmilar detail, the Ath A900x has a more fun sound and the Sound Magic is more balanced [I prefer the sound magic honestly] Also will you be using these headphones on the go? IMO the Sound Magics are the IDEAL portable headphone, they have thier own case, they fold they are easy to drive [and did I mention them come with their own headphone case :D]

But I will say, I think there is a quality issues with Sound Magic, as some people get a bass heavy version and a light bass version... at the very least the Ath a900x sounds the same every time, there's not much differeing opinion on the a900x. Still I REALLY like my Hp100 :D 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #550 of 1,386
Just to re itterate this... I really like these cans! Wish I had went for these over my k550 but LOL I sold my k550 for what I paid for these so yay for me

I love how, despite not being as mid forward as the K550, they are smoother with the mids! Both the K550 and Sound Magic sound equal imo, but considering all the Fit issues I have with the K550, the Sound Magic HP 100  is just so much simpler to use and enjoy 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #551 of 1,386

WHOO, check out my thread here for a review of the Ath a900x and SOund magic [I'm doing the Sound Magic review atm]

Honestly for EDM I'd say the Ath a900x, as it has a little more laid back sound and bass  and actually... for a good intro Dac and Headphone Amp I woudl get the E07k [it has EQ :O] 

The next thing is price, the Ath a900x is cheaper than the Sound Magic [assuming your buying both used] so it comes down to how much balance you want, both headphones have simmilar detail, the Ath A900x has a more fun sound and the Sound Magic is more balanced [I prefer the sound magic honestly] Also will you be using these headphones on the go? IMO the Sound Magics are the IDEAL portable headphone, they have thier own case, they fold they are easy to drive [and did I mention them come with their own headphone case :D]

But I will say, I think there is a quality issues with Sound Magic, as some people get a bass heavy version and a light bass version... at the very least the Ath a900x sounds the same every time, there's not much differeing opinion on the a900x. Still I REALLY like my Hp100 :D 

Thanks for the quick reply.. yeah i'm kinda torn between the two at the moment. I do want portability sometimes, i would be mostly using them at home though. I already have the FiiO E10 and i'm pretty happy with that. I'm kind of suspicious of the wing design of the a900x's though. I'm also suspicious if my E10 will be able to drive the HP100's to their almost full potential?? The E10 is a "dark" sounding amp so i would think that they would pair nicely.

When it comes to sound, the a900x's seem like they would fit my needs, but i hear all of this talk about the HP100's magically producing wonderful bass when it needs to if the song calls for it.

In your opinion, which is more engaging and/or transparent? I'm going to wait for your review on them none-the-less. Thanks 
redface.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #552 of 1,386
Holy cow, thinner than the DT 880s?  That has most assuredly *not* been my experience.  I think the only certain thing I've learned from this site and hobby is that people have really different views on how headphones sound.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #553 of 1,386
  Holy cow, thinner than the DT 880s?  That has most assuredly *not* been my experience.  I think the only certain thing I've learned from this site and hobby is that people have really different views on how headphones sound.

Yeah, even out of my laptop sound card, I still hear pretty tight and impressive bass on the HP100. Generally, for me, if there is bass in the song, there is bass in these cans.

Its not 2LiveCrew/booty bass. But, it is there and present. 

Everyone's ears are different for sure. In my opinion, source has not mattered at all with these cans. I tend to find that source is a fairly tiny portion of sound anyway. (burn the heretic!)

Btw, the bass was always there out of the box. I'm not one of the burn in guys.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #555 of 1,386

Yeah, even out of my laptop sound card, I still pretty tight and impressive bass on the HP100. Generally, for me, if there is bass in the song, there is bass in these cans.

Its not 2LiveCrew/booty bass. But, it is there and present. 

Everyone's ears are different for sure. In my opinion, source has not mattered at all with these cans. I tend to find that source is a fairly tiny portion of sound anyway. (burn the heretic!)

I second this.  He doesn't seem to mind, though.

I retracked the satement, the mids are not as real as the Dt 880, yet they are just as nice. In addition the Sound Magic has a GREAT sub bass [something the dt 880 lacks] but the Sound Magic's mid bass is a tough to lean. But it's a TIGHT can non the, less and the more I listen the more I can pick up on the delicate mids of it, honeslty I said this before. It has all the strengths of my Dt 880 and Modded w1000x, the only weakness is it's strength. IT does everything really Really good] yet doesn't have the MAGIC of the other two... but hell the Hp 100 cost me $160? My beyers ran me $500 or so [Re cabled fully balanced] and my W1000x was about the same price [$100 pad upgrades and Dynamat mod] so for... 1/2 the price I get 90% of the performance of two cans :O Count me a fan

But the Dt 880 still has more mid bass than the Hp 100, and that's mostly due to the Dt 880 being driven by the Matrix M Stage on +18 Gain [that extra power results in a more full and detailed sound on the Matrix] Going to start my review now actually 

My only concern is how the ShurEY 840 compares to the  Hp 100 [again another can that most likely had to be Modded to beat the STOCK Hp 100] 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back