SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #511 of 1,386
Are those cans working ''well'' with more calm music like Classic, Orchestra, Soundtrack?
I'm a well experienced member of German HiFi-forum, but what I get there to hear was: deep, good bass impact with big soundstage.
It's not only the sub, but also the kickbass .. so my guess is it's not recommended to enjoy OST like FF, Kingdom Hearts, Princess Mononoke, etc.?

I've heard many, many headphones, but still I didn't listen to the Soundmagic.
Currently I've sold all my equipment, now I have only Ultrasone HFI780 to listen. Oh well, with them I can enjoy all genres.

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #513 of 1,386
 That's good to hear, Hank. I keep toying with getting these. How would compare these to your Grados? I've tried lots of headphones in this $150 to $250 range, and my SR225i are still my favorite.

They are different beasts to be sure. In fact, I think they work well as a pair. One for when you want your ass handed to you and one for when you need to relax and enjoy while still having fun.

The SM are more comfortable (obviously), more spacious in the headspace, and easier to drive from my portable (just a Nexus 4 at the moment).

Will they replace Grados? Probably not, but I will probably end up using the Grados less.

Sometimes you want to stage dive at a concert and sometimes you want to sit back in the crowd and take it all in.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #514 of 1,386
Any one want to trade [tempoary] a k550 for a Sound Magic? I'm dying to hear how the SoundMagic Sounds! As I like the K550 but wonder how close the Sound Magic comes to it! 

Sep 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #516 of 1,386
  Just received a pair of these from Amazon and am floored with them. Straight out of the box, if a song has bass it has bass in the cans. Love em so far across genres. (metal, experimental, idm, jazz, country)

I got my HP100 last week and I am floored with them as well. Bottom end balance is exquisite...it has depth, it is tight, clear.....in comparison, a lot of cans seem foggy and sluggish the bottom end. Mids and top also clear and open....perhaps a bit too much treble but it is a clean, non-tizzy treble and sounds more like open-ness than brightness. Beautiful imaging and depth add to the pleasure of these cans. And also agree that they shine with most any genre of music. Design and built also deserve kudos.

Sep 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #517 of 1,386
WELP, the K550 are SOLD and the Hp 100 is PURCHASED, an honestly I'm happy to say that... the K550 is so dmn finnicky  GAWD it sounds SOOOOOO Amazing and I have a BIG head but guess what... I have a BIG mouth and a THICK neck is I open my mouth [my jaw muscles protrude so much that the k550 loses seal] 

SO the Hp 100 [like EVERY OTHER FREAKING HEADPHONE] should not have an issue with this

Lastly, I hear some people saying these have a sucked out bass or some other crap about it sound thin, either way all this NEGATIVE talk about "THIN" reminds me of the crap ppl sling at the K550 an Dt880... which means one thing to me... THESE ARE GONNA LOVE my warm amps. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #518 of 1,386
  WELP, the K550 are SOLD and the Hp 100 is PURCHASED, an honestly I'm happy to say that... the K550 is so dmn finnicky  GAWD it sounds SOOOOOO Amazing and I have a BIG head but guess what... I have a BIG mouth and a THICK neck is I open my mouth [my jaw muscles protrude so much that the k550 loses seal] 

SO the Hp 100 [like EVERY OTHER FREAKING HEADPHONE] should not have an issue with this

Lastly, I hear some people saying these have a sucked out bass or some other crap about it sound thin, either way all this NEGATIVE talk about "THIN" reminds me of the crap ppl sling at the K550 an Dt880... which means one thing to me... THESE ARE GONNA LOVE my warm amps. 

They aren't thin at all, sub bass is even a bit emphasized.  Some people consider any can without bloat to be "thin".

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #519 of 1,386
They aren't thin at all, sub bass is even a bit emphasized.  Some people consider any can without bloat to be "thin".

So true.:dt880smile:

In home audio discussions, I've even seen people complain about expensive, top-rated $800 home audio subwoofers not sounding good because it didn't have that bloated distortion, inaccurate sound of a their old $200 budget sub. Or because the room correction on their new receiver didn't turn up the subwoofer + 6 db higher like they would have doing it by ear. LOL

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #520 of 1,386
So true.
dt880smile.png

In home audio discussions, I've even seen people complain about expensive, top-rated $800 home audio subwoofers not sounding good because it didn't have that bloated distortion, inaccurate sound of a their old $200 budget sub. Or because the room correction on their new receiver didn't turn up the subwoofer + 6 db higher like they would have doing it by ear. LOL

Good to hear, I always like a can with a little less bass and mids, than one with less treble

in addition I bought a Modded Shure 840, so the AKG k550 and Sound Magic hp100 and [ShurEyal 840] will be tested together, it should be pretty epic all thing considered :D 

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #521 of 1,386
I've received new toys this week. The MDR-1R by Sony and the HP100.
I love both headphones, but the HP100 is REALLY impressive. To me they beat hands downs the DT770 and all others closed headphones that I've tried so far.
They clearly deserve more highlights to be honest.

Do you guys know if SoundMagic released a more portable cable ?

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #522 of 1,386
Good to hear, I always like a can with a little less bass and mids, than one with less treble

in addition I bought a Modded Shure 840, so the AKG k550 and Sound Magic hp100 and [ShurEyal 840] will be tested together, it should be pretty epic all thing considered :D 

Sorry. I should have quoted less. I haven't heard the HP100s--and now I'm looking forward to you hearing them and saying what you think :)

I was commenting on the fact that there are many people that think the only good bass is the overly emphasized bloated, distorted kind. LOL

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #523 of 1,386
Sorry. I should have quoted less. I haven't heard the HP100s--and now I'm looking forward to you hearing them and saying what you think
smily_headphones1.gif

I was commenting on the fact that there are many people that think the only good bass is the overly emphasized bloated, distorted kind. LOL

I think the K550 has the best Bass I've heard in a closed can 

Also.. Oh my gawd... Samurai Jack is ... just epic as an adult! 

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #524 of 1,386

I think the K550 has the best Bass I've heard in a closed can 

Also.. Oh my gawd... Samurai Jack is ... just epic as an adult! 

General consensus is that HP100 is noticeably better in the bass region, especially sub-bass, which is very prominent even down to 20Hz.  They handle bass-heavy genres very well.

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #525 of 1,386
  General consensus is that HP100 is noticeably better in the bass region, especially sub-bass, which is very prominent even down to 20Hz.  They handle bass-heavy genres very well.

but define better, the K550 has a nice sub Bass as well very tight and visceral. Simply having "more" or "louder" bass is not better, but I look forward to actually hearing it in like 3 days :3 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back