SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #499 of 1,386
Well, I took mine to listen to work one day listening to my Sansa Clip Plus but it was connected to my Digizoid ZO 2 amp(the bass was elevated but not crazy) and let the security lady who knows nothing about audio have a gander at some Chrystal Method and she was blown away by the sound. So if you are this level of consumer and not accustomed to Beats these are still impressive even without the ZO2 but I'm sure it helped with this genre of music. Whats strict bass heads miss , even in electronic genres are the cool trippy little detail sounds that float about, and these are very good with the details.
As far as these being availble on the mass site, I'm bummed because I sent them the suggestion to put these up awhile ago but ended up paying $200. Oh well, if more folks get to check these out at that price than I think they will get more of the attention they deserve.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #500 of 1,386
randomkid, another amping question
have you listened to this through the C241 op2227 version? And do you think there is enough of a difference between the op2227 and ad8620 to justify a $40 price difference? (buying used)

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #501 of 1,386
What does this mean?  What site?

Quote:

Originally Posted by laon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PM'd ya :wink:

Also for anyone interested trying HP100 now's your chance to get it at $150 at that certain mass dropping site that could not be named, if 15 people got into the bandwagon that's it.

I paid $250 for mine and have no regret at all.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #502 of 1,386
Never heard the opa2227 but it might make the HP100 a little too warm as the AD8620 is slightly leaner with more detail and faster sound.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #504 of 1,386
I email soundmagic for repair of my HP100.I do get a reply and proceed to send my phones to them for repair. I promise to pay them if need be. I checked the post office it arrived in their premise....

No return phone, no reply to my follow up email whatsover.

By the way I am in Hong Kong which is in close vicinity of their Donguang premise in China, it is easy and cost little for them to ship back the phone. I wrote in Chinese to communicate with them so there is little chance of mis-understanding too.

Soundmagic do have a fancy warranty card but looks like it really serve no purpose. Just like many Chinese production, I don't think anyone in overseas country can get a repair from them.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #505 of 1,386
Quote:
Just like many Chinese production, I don't think anyone in overseas country can get a repair from them.

I did, replaced my one week old headphone because of bad channel in the jack connection, straight from their distributor here.

By the way, sold my Aune T1, I just can't live with the lack of dynamic and the addicting sub bass (mostly due to the sub par head amp) even though the mid is glorious.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #506 of 1,386
Quote:
I did, replaced my one week old headphone because of bad channel in the jack connection, straight from their distributor here.

By the way, sold my Aune T1, I just can't live with the lack of dynamic and the addicting sub bass (mostly due to the sub par head amp) even though the mid is glorious.

Luck you. Most likely it is easier to deal with a non-Chinese dealer in one's own country. At least there is little language issue.

I brought from the ebay seller "audiothinker" in Hong Kong, who claimed these are "under full warranty" at time of purchase. I send him an email if he could help and he did not reply.

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #507 of 1,386
Quote:

Luck you. Most likely it is easier to deal with a non-Chinese dealer in one's own country. At least there is little language issue.

I brought from the ebay seller "audiothinker" in Hong Kong, who claimed these are "under full warranty" at time of purchase. I send him an email if he could help and he did not reply.

Yeah, it's a barrier for company like Soundmagic must overcome if they really want to dominate. At least the distributor here (which also handle most Soundmagic's other product) are responsible and responsive.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #508 of 1,386
Just received a pair of these from Amazon and am floored with them. Straight out of the box, if a song has bass it has bass in the cans. Love em so far across genres. (metal, experimental, idm, jazz, country) (directly out of a cheap laptop soundcard at the moment). 

I suppose once my ears break in these things will sound like a million bucks.

My other phones:
Grado 225
Ultrasone Trackmaster 650
various iems 

I tested the ATH M50s and they did nothing for me over my Grados or Sones. These however are pretty damn fun headphones.

-Hank

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #509 of 1,386
Just received a pair of these from Amazon and am floored with them. Straight out of the box, if a song has bass it has bass in the cans. Love em so far across genres. (metal, experimental, idm, jazz, country) (directly out of a cheap laptop soundcard at the moment). 

I suppose once my ears break in these things will sound like a million bucks.

My other phones:
Grado 225
Ultrasone Trackmaster 650
various iems 

I tested the ATH M50s and they did nothing for me over my Grados or Sones. These however are pretty damn fun headphones.

-Hank

That's good to hear, Hank. I keep toying with getting these. How would compare these to your Grados? I've tried lots of headphones in this $150 to $250 range, and my SR225i are still my favorite.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #510 of 1,386
I'm listening to some Dubstep via my mac and HRT Headstreamer and they are awesome. They have incredible sub bass or , at least, they go down very low where most headphones either don't or are very weak. Thats what I really like about these is that because they have this excellent response they sound great with everything. They aren't bass monsters but seem to put out allot if its intended in the track. I just love listening to them and really cannot fault them especially at the price. I thought my V moda M80s sounded good...and they do, and get great reviews but these blow them away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back