SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #361 of 1,386

HP100 outer cup, easily taken out with screw. The potential is there for those willing to go the trouble, I'm contacting some local craftsman if it's possible to make wooden and open cup with the same design.

Best of all it's a non destructive easily undo-able process. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #362 of 1,386
Patiently waiting for someone to try the Beyer Softskin pads/Alpha pads. Not a fan of velour, so I want to see how much difference the other two make.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #364 of 1,386
I'm in no rush to spend more money either haha. Just in wait and see mode.

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #365 of 1,386

HP100 outer cup, easily taken out with screw. The potential is there for those willing to go the trouble, I'm contacting some local craftsman if it's possible to make wooden and open cup with the same design.

Best of all it's a non destructive easily undo-able process. :D

YES. Those metal cups with the netting pattern look tacky as hell. Is there anything around that might fit into place, maybe with a little modding? I'm thinking of the usual convenient plastic fitting for some sort of random plumbing DIY job that just happens to be perfect.

What about the smaller metal cup on the hinges, can that go too?

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #369 of 1,386
I've not found any that are similar, but I'm not sure you'd want this flat signature outside because background noise destroys the sound. The momentums and Fidelio L1's pumped up bass works well when using them outside I find, but they are very different headphones. Weirdly enough my favourite relatively portable headphones at the moment are the WeSC RZA Premium, which are a bargain here in the UK at £50, but in the US they're not so cheap. I like them outside as is and inside with a bit of bass reduction EQ. The MDR-1R is a pretty big headphone if I remember correctly, not much smaller than the HP100, although visually a lot more appealing. I've heard someone on here say that the sound of the MDR-1R doesn't compare, but I can't offer an opinion of my own on this one.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #370 of 1,386
When I had the HP100, my portable alternates were the Amperior and GR07 BE. I was also suggested the DT1350 was a good choice...

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #371 of 1,386
Anybody here compare the SoundMagic HP100 to the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm?

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #372 of 1,386
Got some Beyer Softskin pads for pretty cheap ($15), so I'll see how they work when they get here in the next week or so.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #373 of 1,386
Quote:

Best of all it's a non destructive easily undo-able process. 
biggrin.gif

I recently compared the HP100 to some other headphones and strangely while the subbass is very clear and defined, the upper bass is a bit bloated and lacks detail. I'll get some Dynamat and see how it works out. I also consider spraying the cups matte-black (TH600 inspired).

Were these ever measured anywhere? I'd love to see a waterfall chart of the bass region.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #374 of 1,386
Quote:

I recently compared the HP100 to some other headphones and strangely while the subbass is very clear and defined, the upper bass is a bit bloated and lacks detail. I'll get some Dynamat and see how it works out. I also consider spraying the cups matte-black (TH600 inspired).

Were these ever measured anywhere? I'd love to see a waterfall chart of the bass region.

I've tried my favorite damping material, cotton, on the cup and while it does help tame the treble down I don't think it help the upper bass, it still sounds a bit blurred. Be careful with damping the cup though as it could reduce the sound stage significantly, and dynamat is notoriously hard to remove, maybe you could try with blutack first to be safe.

Beside the one on the back of the box I don't think anyone has ever measured HP100 unfortunately.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #375 of 1,386
Quote:
Anybody here compare the SoundMagic HP100 to the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm?

It's been a while since I had the DT 990s, but IIRC, the HP100s are less...bombastic.  The DT 990s are all about treble and bass (although I didn't necessarily find the midrange lacking) and wowing you with their presence.  The HP100s are smoother and more linear, and better for long-term listening, IMHO.  I think the DT 990s are a little hotter and more sibilance prone, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back