SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #346 of 1,386
I got a pair of HP-100's a few weeks ago....sadly there's distortion in the right earcup. It started out as slight distortion in the treble, but after a while it's gotten down in the bass area as well. I can't reach the seller on Ebay and therefor reported him to Ebay, As soon as Ebay looked into it he told them, and me he was gonna send me a replacement. 3 weeks have gone and no replacment. I've tried to contact him, but he won't answer me. I opened the case again on ebay and they looked further into the case. After three days, they told me that under no circumstance that I would get a refund, because the seller offered me to mark down the value when shipping them. I accepted because this would get the shipment faster through customs. Accoridng to Ebay I shouldn't have accepted this offer since it's illigal. So I got to pray that this screwer has sent me replacements, but it looks like I'm gonna loose my $200.:mad:

Stay away from the seller calling himself "audiothinker" from Marble Road Hong Kong until I have better news of my replacements arriving. I have almost got 500 deals on Ebay now, and it's the first time it's all gone to the dogs...:frowning2:

Anyone got a broken pair to sell me(or only the inside of a earcup). I can fix it myself with a little bit of soldering and unscrewing 4 screws...:wink:

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #347 of 1,386
Quote:
Can anyone do a comparison to DT880, please?

I owned the 600 Ohm version not too long ago.  The Beyers have superior clarity, air, comfort and soundstage.  The HP100s have superior bass (by far, IMO), more weight to the music, are closed, and have excellent imaging (I think that's what it is).  I've found the HP100s to be the better of the two for being all-rounders mainly because of the superior bass, and not having much less detail and air than the DT 880s, while still retaining a decent sound stage.

On another note, as soon as I get some financial things figured out, I'll be ordering the Beyer softskin pads to see if they fix the issue of the slight dryness and sibilance of the Beyer velours. 

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #348 of 1,386
I bought my Soundmagic Hp100 from the same guys and they were great with me. I live in Canada. Their English isn't great but I think they'll backup their word. I get the impression they are a very large retailer and their in Hong Kong, not mainland China. Their not the best communicators but my experience was good and hope things go well for you.
As for these sounding shrieky, I found them to be anything but and I think my ears are sensitive to treble. Its a very subjective hobby but I'm in agreement with most reviews and think these are excellent, detailed, smooth fairly neutral but still fun cans. Very happy.

Jul 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #349 of 1,386
Thanks Marximus.

When you say HP100 has superior bass than DT880, you mean it has better quality or more quantity (or both)? & what about sub-bass?
Because as I remember, DT880 had an excellent bass & sub-bass & if it has all of those advantages over HP100, there is no reason to not getting DT880.

Thanks in advance

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #350 of 1,386
I'm not very good with terminology, but I found the HP100s have greater weight in the lower regions and hit harder.  It does sound like I give the DT 880s a lot of advantages, and they do excel in multiple areas, but the bass just didn't do it for me, and I would want something a little more well rounded for $300.  There are a few things the DT 880s do better, but I prefer the weightier bass of the HP100s, as well as their closed design.  Of course, YMMV.

Jul 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #351 of 1,386
I found rolling up toilet paper and stuffing it under the normal pads made it sooo much more comfy. I remember you complaining about the drivers touching your ears Marximus, this totally fixes it.

Just rolled up some more toilet paper and put it in. They are incredibly comfotable now, the drivers dont touch my ears at all and my ears don't seem to get hot as fast.

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #352 of 1,386
I had to revisit this thread and mention that though I am extremely happy with the MDs after burn in, I am still kind of missing the HP100.

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #354 of 1,386
I definitely prefer the HP100s to the Mad Dogs (latest version, with Alpha Pads).  I thought they sounded really cluttered, like all the instruments were trying to get in your ears at the same time.  It was weird.

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #355 of 1,386
I like the Mad Dog (w/Alpha pads), but I also prefer the HP100 overall. I used to have them together, but I gave my HP100's away to a loving home that would appreciate them a bit more. I have too many headphones and not enough time these days, but... I've come to realize that I miss the HP100's over a lot of other things, especially for office use, so I am going to buy some new ones. When I get them I will post my thoughts on how they continue to compare to a bunch of other headphones. The Mad Dogs, Beyer DT770 Pro LE to name a few. I also recently got some Amperiors and some WeSC Chambers (which I really like, with some EQ). 

Oh and I also want to try some of the ear-pad modifications people have been talking about on here because the shallow driver depth of the HP100 (and HP200) has always bugged my sticky-out-ears :frowning2:.

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #356 of 1,386
One of you guys have to try the Alpha pads. I have them on three different phones and think they are the most comfy pads I've tried. And that's about 12 different pads at least.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #359 of 1,386
Have you tried them with the HP100s?  If so, any change in sound signature?  $60 is a lot for pad swapping that may or may not affect the sound negatively.

Have not heard the HP100 at all. Would like to. I just wonder because I know what it did for my Q40's, Pro900's and D2000's and frankly no pad I've ever tried, and there have been a boatload, has as much comfort or sound improvement. Best move I made pad wise was trying them.

Seems the only weakness of the HP100 is comfort/pad depth. These solve that.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #360 of 1,386
Quote:
Seems the only weakness of the HP100 is comfort/pad depth. These solve that.

I don't have problems at all with the comfort or pad depth. Another headphone which is troublesome in this regard is the AD2000, that one gave me troubles and my ears touched the drivers but not the HP100. The pads don't look particulary shallow to me like those on the AD2000 so i would say these might be fine for the majority of users. The comfort of the stock pads is great, better than the "new" beyer velour pads. The "old" velour pads (DT880 2003) were softer, too bad they changed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back