SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
May 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #181 of 1,386
Quote:
I'd be interested in a comparison of the D600s and the HP100s, since the D600s are about the only headphone within my reasonable budget that I still want to try.

I have yet to receive them but found a pair of used in "like-new" condition on one of Amazon's warehouse deals for $228.  I have been wanting to try them as well and couldn't pass it up.  I will post my impressions when they arrive.

May 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #182 of 1,386
Quote:
I too preferred the HP100s to the K550s when I briefly owned both of them.  My main issue with the K550s was the fit.  They basically required a perfect seal to produce acceptable bass.  Not so with the HP100s.  They give me fantastic bass, especially sub bass, without the need to constantly fiddle with them.  

On a side note, I do have a pair of Denon D600s coming.  So, I will be interested to see how they compare to the HP100s. 

I'll be interested in your comparisons from D600 to the HP100.  I have the D600, love them, and have been wanting the HP100's for a while now.  Was just afraid they were 'bass-lite' from reading some reviews but it sounds like they are just fine with bass.   It'll be nice to have someone compare the two, knowing what the D600 can do already. 

May 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #183 of 1,386
Yeah, I think the HP100s are even a bit north of neutral with regard to bass.  To me they sound kind of similar to my DT 770s, although the bass is cleaner and they're more evenly balanced.

May 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #184 of 1,386
Just listened to Iron Man and its never sounded so good. The bass really shines with the drum hits at the intro, tons of impact! These just amaze me with their clarity. Everything has its own position and is clearly played. Zero congestion.

May 20, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #185 of 1,386
May 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #186 of 1,386
Quote:
It looks like these will be coming in tomorrow. I think I read some of you criticizing the stock pads and saying the Beyer 770 velour pads fit on these. Has anybody tried the Beyer 770 pleather pads?

velour
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT-Replacement-Pads-Pair/dp/B0016MMYKA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369103465&sr=1-2&keywords=beyerdynamic+pads

pleather
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770S-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The earpads on these are about as high quality pleather as it gets.
That said, I plan on buying some velour ones simply because my ears get pretty warm. I'm more sensitive to stuff like that than most people though. I can wear these headphones without moving them for about 3 hours, after that I need about a 5 minute break to let my ears cool down and head recover, the top of my head hurts from the pressure after those 3 hours. ( I think my HFI 580's made my head more sensitive to that stuff... They made me feel like I was being stabbed)

May 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #187 of 1,386
Well, after testing these babies for a couple hours I must say... I'm impressed. I can't wait to burn these in. These are keepers!

Thanks to all that helped me in this thread!!!
beerchug.gif

Bye bye 840s... I though they were the ones 
frown.gif

May 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #190 of 1,386
They're just slightly deeper than the stock pads, and they might be a bit stiffer, so my ears don't contact the drivers (or I don't feel it, anyway).  And of course, because they're velour, they feel cooler and less sweaty.

May 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #191 of 1,386
HA! loving all the people trying these out and finding them as good as i did. I got a HEAP of flack for this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/653472/bigsby-s-top-cans-for-2013-ep1-soundmagic-hp100-the-beyer-slayer-the-mid-monster-the-detail-demon/75#post_9459667 on other forums. No one could beleive how good they were and thought i was somehow benefitting from people buying these?!?! People are strange when you tell them something is awesome.

May 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #192 of 1,386
HA! loving all the people trying these out and finding them as good as i did. I got a HEAP of flack for this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/653472/bigsby-s-top-cans-for-2013-ep1-soundmagic-hp100-the-beyer-slayer-the-mid-monster-the-detail-demon/75#post_9459667 on other forums. No one could beleive how good they were and thought i was somehow benefitting from people buying these?!?! People are strange when you tell them something is awesome.

That is so true. And in the end, all that matters is you loved them! I've heard much the same about the Denon D600 and Ultrasone Pro900 and I could care less. If U like them, that's what matters. The HP100 is on my short list and should be acquiring soon.

May 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #194 of 1,386
Quote:
If you do so, I'd be interested in a comparison between them and the D600s.

Will do bud.

By the way, thanks for your service to this country. 

May 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #195 of 1,386
Well, I received my Denon D600 last yesterday and did some comparisons between that, the HP-100 and my MDR-MA900.

I will just briefly touch on the D600's packaging, it is quite nice.  It reminds me of some higher-end headphone packaging I have seen.  However, I can't speak for anyone else, but when I take a headphone out of it's packaging, I don't mess with it again unless I either return the headphones or sell them.  So, while nice packaging is good to see, it's not that important to me.

What is important is the sound.  I performed my tests with my Foobar 2000 (FLAC) - ODAC - Burson Soloist setup.  Yeah, the Soloist is probably overkill for headphones in this price range but I have the amp and I'm gonna use it!  
biggrin.gif

*Note* - I bought the D600s used, so I am assuming that they already have some hours on them and don't plan on doing any burn-in sessions.  

I'm not going to give a detailed breakdown - just my overall impressions.  

D600 - Warm, bassy with unrefined highs and slightly recessed mids/vocals.  The thunderous bass tries to steal the show here, saying "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!".  The soundstage feels big but indistinct, I believe this is due to the cavernous ear cups.  

Compared to the HP100 - the D600 doesn't impress me very much.  I feel the HP100 pretty much beats the D600 in every category except for soundstage size, maybe.  That's not to say the D600 isn't a good headphone.  I would categorize it as a fun-sounding headphone.  I think the sound signature definitely leans towards a warmer, bassier sound.  The HP100s to me are more refined, with greater detail and more neutral sound signature.  I prefer the HP100s soundstage and imaging as well.  The D600s soundstage may be bigger, but it feels congested at times.  

Compared to the MA900s - there is no contest here honestly.  I know the MA900 is an open headphone, but it shares a similar price to the HP100 and the used D600.  Basically, the MA900 puts the D600 to shame.  The MA900 sounds much more refined than the D600.  There is no hint of congestion or peakiness in the highs on the MA900.  They maintain fantastic clarity and separation even when things get busy.  The bass of the MA900, while not extending as deep as the D600s or HP100s, is tight, detailed and satisfying.  It goes without saying that the soundstage and imaging on the MA900 bests the D600's.

So, needless to say, I am not very impressed with the D600s.  Comparing retail prices, I feel that the HP100 and MA900 at 1/2 the price outperform the D600 in pretty much every category.  I still consider the HP100 to be one of the best closed headphones available, especially in this price range.  I have owned the MA900 for a few months now and it's sound still impresses me.  I feel it outperforms many other open headphones I have heard in this price range.

As of now, the HP100s and MA900s are my closed and open headphones of choice.  I have been through dozens and dozens of pairs over the years and I finally feel that I have the headphones I have been looking for.  Of course, if the past is any indication, this is subject to change.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back