SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
May 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #166 of 1,386
Oh, right.  Well, I still think they are the superior headphone in every way except perhaps comfort; the Beyer pads resolve that issue.

You think the velours "add" to the bass? Never heard that before. I'm real interested in trying these.

Anyone want to trade for a pair of WS-99's?

May 19, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #168 of 1,386
I am really on the fence of returning my srh840s and giving these a try. I'm hesitant to do it, though, because I got them for so cheap and won't be able to find them for the same price should I not like the HP100.

Decisions... decisions...
rolleyes.gif

May 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #169 of 1,386
pul the trigger. I havent bought headphones since, and prior i was buying 1-3 pairs a month for a period. I sold off almost everything but kept 4-5 pairs. The HP100 and FA011 are the two pairs that get any use.

May 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #171 of 1,386
Quote:
I found the HP100s to be noticeably more comfortable than the 840s.

How do the mids and highs compare? I love them on the 840 but I find the bass lacking for a closed can. My GR07 has more bass than the 840. I'm not a basshead but I do like some 'thump' on a closed can.

I have the Q701 with memory foam pads as my open can, GR07 as my IEM, but am still looking for my close can. Hopefully, this is it.... 

Quote:
pul the trigger. I havent bought headphones since, and prior i was buying 1-3 pairs a month for a period. I sold off almost everything but kept 4-5 pairs. The HP100 and FA011 are the two pairs that get any use.

Trigger pulled... can't wait 
L3000.gif

May 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #172 of 1,386
It's been quite a while since I owned the 840s, but I remember them having a rather warm sound.  I suppose I'd describe the HP100s as being slightly warm and smooth, but they're very clean and spacious sounding, with a good soundstage.  Maybe the 840s sounded a little too closed in and intimate?  Like I said, it's been a while, but I do know that I find the HP100s to have good comfort and great sound quality.

May 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #173 of 1,386
Quote:
It's been quite a while since I owned the 840s, but I remember them having a rather warm sound.  I suppose I'd describe the HP100s as being slightly warm and smooth, but they're very clean and spacious sounding, with a good soundstage.  Maybe the 840s sounded a little too closed in and intimate?  Like I said, it's been a while, but I do know that I find the HP100s to have good comfort and great sound quality.

Well, they will be here on Thursday!
biggrin.gif

Though, I have a feeling the 840s are going bye bye...
frown.gif

May 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #174 of 1,386
Quote:

Well, they will be here on Thursday!
biggrin.gif

Though, I have a feeling the 840s are going bye bye...
frown.gif

You will love them.
I seriously don't understand the bass. On bass heavy songs, they have about as much impact as HFI 580s, and way more sub bass. But on more vocal songs the bass just fills it in perfectly, not too heavy, not too light.

May 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #176 of 1,386
Yes, Im interested in hearing from someone who has both k550 and HP 100. All Ive heard is that they are similar but the hp100 have bass. I believe Noble hifi blog has a comparison of the two on the hp100 review page. This is an excellent blog for headphone and amp info as hisbudget isnt crazy and reviews stuff I can afford. Bear in mind that he admittedly disliked the k550. His blog is what pushed me to get the Soundmagics as he has similar taste and also had the M80 as a standby. The Soundmagics really are better than the V modas in nearly every area except, perhaps, its lower mids but then they have very different sound sigs with the M80 being warm and the Soundmagics very neutral. I really like the sub bass on these, its impressive because in songs without bass you get a very clear and neutral sound but when its there the bass is incredible.

May 20, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #178 of 1,386
i dont own both, just the HP100- although i have tried the k550 quite a bit. Its one of those sets of cans ive ummed and ahhed over quite a bit, but in the end never bought.

So i guess Greeni is more qualified to answer for you, but personally i owned the HP100 before trying the K550 and have done a side by side but not with classical, rather with electronica and female vocal tracks. Personally i felt the HP100 were ahead. 

We all have different taste though. 

May 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #179 of 1,386
Quote:
i dont own both, just the HP100- although i have tried the k550 quite a bit. Its one of those sets of cans ive ummed and ahhed over quite a bit, but in the end never bought.

So i guess Greeni is more qualified to answer for you, but personally i owned the HP100 before trying the K550 and have done a side by side but not with classical, rather with electronica and female vocal tracks. Personally i felt the HP100 were ahead. 

We all have different taste though. 

I too preferred the HP100s to the K550s when I briefly owned both of them.  My main issue with the K550s was the fit.  They basically required a perfect seal to produce acceptable bass.  Not so with the HP100s.  They give me fantastic bass, especially sub bass, without the need to constantly fiddle with them.  

On a side note, I do have a pair of Denon D600s coming.  So, I will be interested to see how they compare to the HP100s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back