SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #136 of 1,386
I'm a bit curious as to what happened to a review of these by Tyll. Perhaps he thought they were not worthy of a review? I read somewhere he doesn't do reviews on products that don't meet a certain criteria, which would surprise me because these have no real negative attributes. Hmmm
I just got my HRT Headstreamer today and it just makes the sound that much better- clear, broad and simply sublime.
I'm still shocked at how well these came out for their first full size. Soundmagic really nailed it with its clear defined sound that is somehow never harsh and manages to produce incredible, linear bass all the way down making for a very enjoyable and engaging listen. I probably sound like a spammer but seriously, these thing are that good. I'd love to be able to do a direct comparison to the bigger name rivals. That would be a very interesting test!

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #137 of 1,386
Thinking of buying these over AKG K550.
I don't have an amp and don't really want to go down that route again, will my Ibasso DX100 be suffice or would I still need an amp?

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #138 of 1,386
Double post

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #139 of 1,386
you should be fine with that source, they don't need an amp but definitely sound better with one

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #140 of 1,386
With what I read on the I Basso DX100, you should have great sound as it has both a high quality DAC and a quality amp that, by numbers, puts out more power than the HRT Headstreamer I'm using. Funny, I've been wondering if there were any high end portable DAPs and that one looks sweet. It looks designed to drive higher end headphones which typically have higher impedance. The Soundmagics do have relatively low impedance but aren't the most sensitive, thus pushing them into the range where better amplification is really needed to get the best sound. You'll be fine with that player.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #141 of 1,386
Be aware! Due to the good reviews I wanted these headphones. Sadly there were no dealers in my country so I bought them from an Chinese seller with good feedback's from Ebay. I got them delivered today, and the seal on the box was broken. The plastic around the hard case was at the bottom of the box. I also found fingerprints on the headphone. The sound is total crap because both drivers are somewhat broken.

Soundmagic has warned about unofficial sellers on their website..

I'm not gonna buy anything from China again, and if I'm gonna buy a Chinese product it will be from a dealer within my own country.

Anyway I can say that these headphones are extremely comfortably to wear....

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #143 of 1,386
I sort of disagree with the whole "they sound better with amping."  These things sound great plugged right into an ipod or iphone.  I haven't noticed much at all different amped/unamped, only thing is i can have a bass boost with my fiio e11.

May 1, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #144 of 1,386
Quote:
Be aware! Due to the good reviews I wanted these headphones. Sadly there were no dealers in my country so I bought them from an Chinese seller with good feedback's from Ebay. I got them delivered today, and the seal on the box was broken. The plastic around the hard case was at the bottom of the box. I also found fingerprints on the headphone. The sound is total crap because both drivers are somewhat broken.

I'm not gonna buy anything from China again, and if I'm gonna buy a Chinese product it will be from a dealer within my own country.

If anyone, it is the French customs who broke them.

I bought mine on Amazon.de and from a French seller.

There are several pairs available on amazon

http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B0086YJ86Y/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

May 1, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #145 of 1,386

Did you contact the seller? I've rarely had any problem with eBay and when I had it, everybody has been pretty responsive. Sorry for your bad luck with that.

I agree with Szadzik. I would bet it was in the customs.

May 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #146 of 1,386
I also got mine from a reputable Ebayer based in Hong Kong. Admittedly, mine did appear to have been opened BUT they were in perfect condition and sound terrific. Too bad. I agree its extremely frustrating trying to buy something thats gotten great reviews and being unable to find them in markets that should have many available. Soundmagic has terribly dropped the ball in this regard which is sad because they have a great product. I simply find it unexcusable for this company to have such a horrible distribution network. I mean, I would think they would want to sell their product and make money like most companies, so why don't they approach some chain retailers and make a killing? Hope someone at Soundmagic is reading this. Time for MarketMagic guys!

May 4, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #147 of 1,386
I agree with this fully! Noisymotel will ship worldwide. He does his best to keep well stocked. 

Anyone else heard any great new cans lately? Things seem a bit quiet with new products lately and im itching to spend :D

May 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #148 of 1,386
I'm considering buying the HP100. Most say these are great for electronic but a few say there are better options. However I can't find any information regarding whether these are good for video games and movies. Aside from listening to mainly trance music I will be using them for casual gaming and movies. I've read a lot of feedback mentioning a great soundstage for music, but in no context for gaming where positional accuracy (with or without Dolby Headphone) is also important.

May 7, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #149 of 1,386
They will be great for your needs, they handle music movies and games easily.

May 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #150 of 1,386
Quote:

Could you elaborate on your statement "The sound is total crap because both drivers are somewhat broken" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back