SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #122 of 1,386
its a bit odd you found a dip in the upper bass though, as most of us found it to be emphasized there..

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #124 of 1,386
Never got round to trying beyer pads, they should fit in theory

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #126 of 1,386
Quote:
Hi, How do these compare to the Sennheiser HD25-1 ii?

You cannot compare them, completly different.
One is on-ear other over ear, and sennheiser has a aggressive in your face sound, while the soundmagic is smooth and full, lush sounding.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #127 of 1,386
Damn, these sound incredible with electronic music. Granted, I'm listening via my Digizoid ZO2 but I used it for my M80s also. The soundstage is massive compared to my M80 and details like little echo effects and other little sounds are now audible whereas the M80, while fun and bassy, just aren't as involving...and I really like them. Just 2 very different headphones. The Soundmagic have managed to do something few have with its more neutral, colder, detail oriented sound BUT has very deep and capable bass! The bass rumbles with shaking cups yet is clean and free of interference of anything else. The Prodigy is wow...very fun listen from a very balanced headphone which is a difficult thing to find.
If you have one of the more prevalent warm sounding headphones and are looking for something less warm but still capable in the bass department get these. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #128 of 1,386
Just an FYI for those using these on the go. 

I looked for a replacement cable for these that would not be coiled and talked to SoundMagic. I got a cable that comes with HP200 and is shorter and straight. It works great and is of great quality for cheap. Cannot remember how much,, though.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #129 of 1,386
keep enjoying the HP100 and let everyone know how great they are!

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #130 of 1,386
Listening to them more and more I find that the bass is a little weak.  I don't have an amp for them yet though.  They also only have probably around 8 or 9 hours total listening.  Is that something the 100 hour burn-in will noticeably improve?

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #131 of 1,386
You really cant get a grasp of these (or many Headphones out there) without an amp. Although they are relatively low ohm, unamped VS amped is night and day.

Its unfair to compare them to reviews from amped listeners. If budget is an issue check out some of the great cheap options from Fiio, otherwise go for JDS labs for something higher end and relatively transparent like the C5 - beware the monster bass boost!

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #132 of 1,386
Ya, if you find these weak in the bass its got to be an amp thing. I personally use a Digizoid ZO2 which is really a basshead amp in that its an amp but with a specialized (trademarked) sort of bass EQ system that is adjustable in 32 steps so you can adjust from s;ightly less than stock bass to insane bass with a boost in volume a la amp. That is a bit of a knock on an otherwise great headphone is that this truly needs an amp-just barely. If you are a basshead I'd recommend this amp. Its also a warmer sounding amp in general which appeals to the general public more. You can probably find a used one on this forum, they pop up. Believe me, with the ZO this thing rumbles bass. Very fun to listen to electronica.

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #133 of 1,386
I'm happy with the hp100 as well.
Using it as my office headphone driven by a fiio e10 with bass boost enabled most of the time.

Also, I exchanged the pads. Beyer DT770 velour pads fit perfectly and increase the comfort.
Though isolation is not as good with those pads but still good enough for my application.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #134 of 1,386
Quote:
I'm happy with the hp100 as well.
Using it as my office headphone driven by a fiio e10 with bass boost enabled most of the time.

Also, I exchanged the pads. Beyer DT770 velour pads fit perfectly and increase the comfort.
Though isolation is not as good with those pads but still good enough for my application.

How do the DT770 pads change the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back