SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #1,246 of 1,386
I upgraded to the PM-3 from the HP100.  It's not quite the same sound but it's got that planar speed that's so addictive for me.  A lot of people in the PM-3 loaner program took a few days to really get the brain burn-in and realize its potential.  It's a great can and I don't regret moving to it at all.

(You can find my review of it in my signature if you're curious also.)

I did the one week audition and own HP150 and HE400. PM-3 just wasn't what I was looking for...

Jul 11, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,247 of 1,386
I truely love my HP150. Love the bass on them. I'm now looking for a portable headphone that come at least close to the low end impact of the HP150. Is there such a thing?

Auditioning a pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX, and the bass on them come close (with comply tips), but in-ears always bother me, though these tips help a lot.

Would like something that does not require amping to sound good. Not ready to spend $on custom iem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd suggest you getting a portable amp instead (I know you said you prefer something that doesn't require amping, but its as simple as stacking the amp to the back of you cellphone and putting them both in you pocket).
I've been using my HP100 on the go for several months now with SMSL sAp-5 amp (its a 50$ portable amp that can be bought on ebay and its not bad at all, although you can get something better depending on your budget - i was an unemployed university student when i bought it). You can't imagine how much i missed my HP100 when the driver died on me and i had to switch to my cellphone's IEMs till the HP100 got repaired.

BTW if you're thinking about getting a portable amp but you're finding the cable to be too thick for portable use, i found a thin cable that fits our headphones (on ebay) that i wrote about here in this thread - just look for my previous comments. I've been using that cable for several months now as well.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,249 of 1,386
I auditioned several headphones, but it was several months ago, including the 400i. From everything I read I expected to be blown away, which meant my expectations were too high. At the time bass was very important to me, and they did not have the same quantity as the HP150. The bass does sound different, being ortho. They certainly are heavier than the 150.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,250 of 1,386
I'd suggest you getting a portable amp instead (I know you said you prefer something that doesn't require amping, but its as simple as stacking the amp to the back of you cellphone and putting them both in you pocket).
I've been using my HP100 on the go for several months now with SMSL sAp-5 amp (its a 50$ portable amp that can be bought on ebay and its not bad at all, although you can get something better depending on your budget - i was an unemployed university student when i bought it). You can't imagine how much i missed my HP100 when the driver died on me and i had to switch to my cellphone's IEMs till the HP100 got repaired.

BTW if you're thinking about getting a portable amp but you're finding the cable to be too thick for portable use, i found a thin cable that fits our headphones (on ebay) that i wrote about here in this thread - just look for my previous comments. I've been using that cable for several months now as well.

I'll try wearing them around the house as I'm working and see what the comfort is like. I want to have something I can wear when washing the car etc, and figured the HP150 will be too heavy for that.

Was considering the V-moda XS, just don't know if it will have the impact I have gotten used to.

Thanks for the recommendation of trying an amp, I may still consider that.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,251 of 1,386
I'll try wearing them around the house as I'm working and see what the comfort is like. I want to have something I can wear when washing the car etc, and figured the HP150 will be too heavy for that.

You should try it and see. They don't seem especially heavy to me, but I would wonder how well they would stay on through a lot of movement. That's more a factor of clamping pressure relative to weight.

The FiiO E11K would be a good choice for an external amp for the HP150. Have you been using a desktop amp with them?

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,252 of 1,386
Wait, HP150 straight out of a iPhone? No, just no (shakes head)...

I mean it'll sound ok, but get a DAP or at least stack with an amp or better yet a DAC/Amp. There are a bunch of reasonably affordable Android + iOS compatible DAC/Amps on the market now from Cayin, Onkyo, Oppo, Shanling, and Teac. I've tried the Cayin C5 DAC/Amp and the Shanling H3 DAC/Amp, and Man do they make a difference - especially with better HP/IEM.

As far as HE400i go, I'm guessing they're HiFiMan's response to complaints that HE400 had boomy bass, recessed mids and spiky high end. HE400i certainly are flatter vs. HE400, but from what I've read HE400i are missing the bass impact of the HE400, have more mid presence, and more even top end.

What does all that mean for an HP100/150 lover looking to step up to planars? Look into HE400 and EQ up the mids would be my suggestion...

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,253 of 1,386
Wait, HP150 straight out of a iPhone? No, just no (shakes head)...

I mean it'll sound ok, but get a DAP or at least stack with an amp or better yet a DAC/Amp. There are a bunch of reasonably affordable Android + iOS compatible DAC/Amps on the market now from Cayin, Onkyo, Oppo, Shanling, and Teac. I've tried the Cayin C5 DAC/Amp and the Shanling H3 DAC/Amp, and Man do they make a difference - especially with better HP/IEM.

As far as HE400i go, I'm guessing they're HiFiMan's response to complaints that HE400 had boomy bass, recessed mids and spiky high end. HE400i certainly are flatter vs. HE400, but from what I've read HE400i are missing the bass impact of the HE400, have more mid presence, and more even top end.

What does all that mean for an HP100/150 lover looking to step up to planars? Look into HE400 and EQ up the mids would be my suggestion...

I'll second that based on my own experience. Hooking the HP100 up to the FiiO E18 Kunlun was a noticeable upgrade even to the DX50, which is a rather large upgrade from the iPhone 5S in itself. These headphones scale up phenomenally well.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,254 of 1,386
We are not talking about the HP150 unamped. I was asking for recommendations for a portable that would come close to the bass I have come to love with the HP150. CJ 4 2 suggested amping my HP150 rather than buying a second set.

I do amp the HP150 when listening with my PC with the Schitt magni / modi.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,255 of 1,386
We are not talking about the HP150 unamped. I was asking for recommendations for a portable that would come close to the bass I have come to love with the HP150. CJ 4 2 suggested amping my HP150 rather than buying a second set.

Why wouldn't you use the HP150 as a portable?  It was my main portable until I upgraded to the PM-3.  It sounded great out of the X5 and even better when I added the JDS Labs C5 amp.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,256 of 1,386

So you understand how it sounds like amped vs unamped. :etysmile:

However, not everyone does, so it's very common for these kind of conversations to assume that the person might not. Just in case, sorta covering all the bases. Know what I mean?

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,257 of 1,386
So you understand how it sounds like amped vs unamped.
etysmile.gif

However, not everyone does, so it's very common for these kind of conversations to assume that the person might not. Just in case, sorta covering all the bases. Know what I mean?

Understood.

And I do love them amped!

Stillhart - I was only thinking the HP150 would be too ungainly when moving around.  I can test that, and will today.  While portable I can only use them un-amped, but I can at least see if I am comfortable using them while in motion before looking into portable amps (or a Fiio player).

Thanks for the responses!

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #1,258 of 1,386
Which headphone sounds more natural in timbre, the NAD Viso HP50 or the Soundmagic HP150?

Also which one is smoother with uppermids and highs?

Lastly, how do they compare to the Philips Fidelio L2 soundwise?

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #1,259 of 1,386
Which headphone sounds more natural in timbre, the NAD Viso HP50 or the Soundmagic HP150?

Also which one is smoother with uppermids and highs?

Lastly, how do they compare to the Philips Fidelio L2 soundwise?

I haven't even heard the NAD HP50, but I'm going to say it's got smoother upper mids and highs. I mean Tyll put it on his Wall of Fame, and he definitely wouldn't put it there if it was peaky in the upper region.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #1,260 of 1,386
Okay, these are the headphones I have been searching for without a doubt. However, all the breakages that have been reported in the yoke and joint area has really sketched me out. I plan on ordering these on Amazon because they are always good about refunds on defective products, but it still really sketches me out. Do you guys have any ideas on how to reinforce the area that keeps cracking on people? I was thinking about adding a layer of epoxy but that would definitely void the one year warranty. 
frown.gif
 Has anyone reached out to Soundmagic telling them about all the reported instances of cracking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back