SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #1,066 of 1,386

how about the isolation, also the same as stock?
what do you think comfort wise?

isolation is possibly slightly better than stock. They do a pretty good job of blocking out sound in the noisy halls at school for reference. They're a lot more comfortable as they are much deeper. My ears still touch a little (this is because they're super squishy), so I may put some paracord underneath them. I believe I saw someone do this to the hm5 pads they had on some dt 770.(I think this was in the earpads thread)

Feb 2, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #1,067 of 1,386
My "journey" with the HP100s so far (and a question at the end) :

These are my first "good" headphones (i've had budget IEM's before), so when i bought them i didn't have any amps/dacs - i drove them with my laptop (OLD Acer aspire) and cellphone (LG G2), and i liked them a lot . At the beginning they reminded me of the Sony MH-1 IEMs (which made me appreciate good SQ, and made me look for better SQ after they died on me).
Later on i bought S.M.S.L sAp-5 portable amp (which is considered neutral, according the the reviews i read about it) and i immediately noticed improvements in the low frequencies (more bass , more punch , and more body to the sound overall) and a little improvement in instruments separation  - that made me like my HP100s even more (its hard to go unamped now that i'm used to listening amp'ed all the time).
i recently bought a Modi 1 and it improved the SQ even more (most of the time). i.e. compared to my laptop/G2 + sap-5,  i didn't notice much difference in some songs , while i noticed huge improvements in others. The improvements i immediately noticed are more punch , much more instruments separation and much larger soundstage. The latter 2 made me feel weird at the beginning (lol) - i never listened to anything with such instruments separation and such soundstage volume before, and "i didn't see it coming".
The downside of the Modi (to my ears) is that it makes *some* music become fatiguing for some reason. It's not that the highs are ear-piercing, but i just feel the urge to stop the music for a little while.

I was thinking about getting a desktop amp, and i was debating between O2 and magni2 , but after getting that fatigue i'm not sure whether to get a SS amp or a tube amp ,which to my understanding sounds warmer and less fatiguing (maybe Vali? how does its relatively high output impedance affect the sound signature?) . Any thoughts/suggestions ?

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,068 of 1,386
Ive tried my friends vali for a short amount of time with my hp150's before and while it sounded very good, there was a bit of hiss in the background. not really noticeable when playing music though except in very quiet parts. It hiss bothers you I don't think the vali will be for you.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #1,069 of 1,386
I have tried the HP 100 with another Schiit amp - a 1-2 tube amp (I think it was the Lyr but I will have to confirm) as well as at least 5 other hi-end headphones, and, in all honesty I never noticed more than maybe a 2-3% improvement in sound quality if any at all over the Magni that I use, so I'm keeping my Magni instead.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #1,070 of 1,386
  Ive tried my friends vali for a short amount of time with my hp150's before and while it sounded very good, there was a bit of hiss in the background. not really noticeable when playing music though except in very quiet parts. It hiss bothers you I don't think the vali will be for you.

thanks for the info.
I have tried the HP 100 with another Schiit amp - a 1-2 tube amp (I think it was the Lyr but I will have to confirm) as well as at least 5 other hi-end headphones, and, in all honesty I never noticed more than maybe a 2-3% improvement in sound quality if any at all over the Magni that I use, so I'm keeping my Magni instead.

but what about the fatigue when comparing SS amp vs tube amp? it might be that my current amp thats causing it, but i'm not sure since i didn't try any other amp (i can hear high hissing sound when i connect it to the Modi and turn the volume up without playing music. that sound isn't audible when connected directly to my laptop/cellphone though). i had the fatigue i was talking about when i listened Metallica's "S&M" album (which is a live performance with a symphony, in case you don't know).

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,072 of 1,386
  my hm5 pads just arrived, but wot???
completely different size and shape to the original hp 100 pads, no way to stretch them over the cups!
i dont get it, did they send some wrong pads?

With a bit of stretching, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to put the hm5 pads on the hp100 regardless of the different shape.  The real challenge is putting the stock pads back on, it felt like I was defusing a bomb.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,073 of 1,386

With a bit of stretching, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to put the hm5 pads on the hp100 regardless of the different shape.  The real challenge is putting the stock pads back on, it felt like I was defusing a bomb.

Yup, they may seem to be a different shape but they become circular when you stretch them. Id post pictures of them on my 150's, but i dont have even a halfway decent camera.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,075 of 1,386
  Yup, they may seem to be a different shape but they become circular when you stretch them. Id post pictures of them on my 150's, but i dont have even a halfway decent camera.

i dont know, but you seem to have maybe different models? no way i could stretch these so far, they will rip when i do and still missing like 3cm until the edge of the cup..
ill send them back tomorrow.

so i need other replacement pads with more depth and good isolation, any ideas?

Feb 8, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,080 of 1,386
  i owned a cop, the pads are not really on the soft side. not really an improvement.

good to know. Don't really know of any other options that aren't outrageously priced. If you haven't tried it already I recommend rolling up some tissue paper and putting it under the stock pads for a little more depth. It helped a lot when I used the stock pads but not as much as the hm5 pads. Heck, I have tissue paper under my hm5 pads too. You can see it a little in the pic I posted earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back