SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,083 of 1,386
  Calling all headphone owners, including those owning the HP100 and HP150! Want a free printed measurement of your headphones and want to help Innerfidelity get vintage, unobtainium and underrated headphones measured for the masses? Package and ship them to Tyll! Details at the link below:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/new-push-headphone-measurements

+1

I am sending my HP100 in for measurement (already heard back from Tyll, it should be going out tomorrow!) and this is the PERFECT opportunity to find out for sure if there's any difference between the HP100 and HP150.  Hopefully someone can volunteer a set of HP150 for science!

(And remember, Tyll is paying shipping both ways so the only cost to us is not having our headphones for a bit.)

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,084 of 1,386
If people are still asking about pads, I've got the Shure 1540 alcantara pads on mine and they're SUPER comfy.  They add depth, which is nice, and they shift the sound ever so slightly in the warmer direction (more bass, less treble).  I might try the DT770 velour pads next.

Oh and the 1540's aren't round either but they fit fine.  They hard part is getting the thicker leather into the little gap on the HP100.

EDIT - Oh also I took my HP100 to CES to use as a baseline while comparing different headphones and gear.  It scaled up surprisingly well -- sounded absolutely amazing with the Chord Hugo!  I'm still madly in love with my HP100 as probably the best value closed cans at $200 or less.  Certainly compared to anything I've heard so far in that category.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #1,085 of 1,386
+1

I am sending my HP100 in for measurement (already heard back from Tyll, it should be going out tomorrow!) and this is the PERFECT opportunity to find out for sure if there's any difference between the HP100 and HP150.  Hopefully someone can volunteer a set of HP150 for science!

(And remember, Tyll is paying shipping both ways so the only cost to us is not having our headphones for a bit.)

Awesome! It'll be awesome to see how they measure. I wonder how the actual measurements compare to the ones on the box.

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,086 of 1,386
Awesome! It'll be awesome to see how they measure. I wonder how the actual measurements compare to the ones on the box.

I'm hoping he likes them and decides to do a full review.  These guys are so underrated...

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,088 of 1,386
Guys, just a heads up if you tend to knock about your headphones or not baby them. My headphones have developed a crack at the earcup "Y" junction. I was able to super glue it but that isn't a durable solution. Just keep an eye on that area and be gentle. While I do not consider this to be a quality or build flaw, I would endorse a sturdier design in future models with either stronger plastics or beefier pieces with a design avoiding stress risers.
I am sure I mentioned this before and am not sure if I am missing the obvious but I don't understand how Soundmagic sends the sound to the cups! I mean , where is the wire or copper conductor? All I see are the plastic arms of the "Y" attachment and I don't see any conductor on either arm? So how does the signal reach the driver? I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious but it is escaping me.

I actually just wanted to make a comment about the bass response. I should mention that I am listening to low bit rate music via my Mac but going through an HRT Headstreamer which I find to be a brilliant match for these headphones(HP100). I don't know if its the extra power from the HRT or that and the DAC, likely the combo, but the bass is incredible! It literally rumbles on my head with the right electronic tracks. It goes so deep with all the body of a sub, its really impressive and I would put it up against any of the "bass monsters" out there. The HP100 moves plenty of air with absolutely no sense of a struggle. I am sure that some of those bass monster HPs can hit harder but for quality bass, top to deep bottom and remaining clean? I really would be interested in hearing a headphone that knocks these out the park for sure.
Its strange because many reviews don't make a big deal about the bass while others do. I read the same regarding whether these require an amp or not and I kinda agree both ways. they sound great straight out, they are very competitive but they clearly enjoy having some juice to drive those big 53mm drivers. Directly out of my computer they sound fine but they simply do not have that awesome bass response without help. So if you got these and you read reviews but are not really feeling the sound, invest in an amp at least, better yet, do what I did and get a deal on the cheap USB DAC/amp combos like my HRT Headstreamer. Themselves these USB DACs are money well spent. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,089 of 1,386
Just got my Soundmagic HP100 set today, and wow am I impressed. After listening to these for a while I realized how closed sounding my WS99 sounds. The HP100 has really good separation and a pretty even sound. I really enjoy the punchiness of the bass. It's not overwhelming, but definitely there and can hit when the situation calls. So far comfort is good. The earpads remind me of my WS99, and eventually my ears started to touch the metal grill on those. Hoping that doesn't happen anytime soon.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,091 of 1,386
  The left driver of my HP100 stopped working all of a sudden yesterday. Does anybody have any idea about what can be done here?

I would say 99% of the time the issue when one channel of a headphone system stops outputting audio it is because of the cable. Usually an internal short-out develops inside the wires due to the likes of excess bending or stretching of the wires. Try swapping the cable for another one. You may also try contacting SoundMagic to ask if they would send you a replacement, or contact a company that makes & sells headphone cables (there are tons of these companies on the Head-Fi forums).

Or this could also be that one of the ends of your cable is simply loose, so disconnect / reconnect both sides and try again.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,092 of 1,386
  I would say 99% of the time the issue when one channel of a headphone system stops outputting audio it is because of the cable. Usually an internal short-out develops inside the wires due to the likes of excess bending or stretching of the wires. Try swapping the cable for another one. You may also try contacting SoundMagic to ask if they would send you a replacement, or contact a company that makes & sells headphone cables (there are tons of these companies on the Head-Fi forums).

Or this could also be that one of the ends of your cable is simply loose, so disconnect / reconnect both sides and try again.

i have 2 cables (the original 1 , that was sitting in the drawer most of the time, and another 1 that i bought from ebay which i used for months). i tried both of them with 3 different sources (laptop , cellphone , Modi +amp) ; got the same results, which led me to believe its the driver :frowning2: .. i've already sent soundmagic an email, but from previous experience, they don't have the best CS out there, so i asked here hoping for faster replies... thanks for the reply though :) 

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,093 of 1,386
Does anyone know where I could buy the straight version of the cable that comes with the HP150 and HP200? I really don't like the coiled cable, and I know that with the lock-in end their cable has a regular cable won't work.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,094 of 1,386
i have 2 cables (the original 1 , that was sitting in the drawer most of the time, and another 1 that i bought from ebay which i used for months). i tried both of them with 3 different sources (laptop , cellphone , Modi +amp) ; got the same results, which led me to believe its the driver :frowning2: .. i've already sent soundmagic an email, but from previous experience, they don't have the best CS out there, so i asked here hoping for faster replies... thanks for the reply though :) 

I'd be surprised if the driver just suddenly stopped working. If not the cable, seems more likely a bad connection inside.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #1,095 of 1,386
Hello again, usually there would be only 2 ways a driver would stop working, besides a cable issue:

* Instant blow out from a MASSIVELY loud volume (say maybe 8x louder than your normal loudest)
* Gradual blow out from use at a very loud volume. But this fault comes with an audible warning that sounds like distortion, usually in the low frequency range.

If none of the above seem to apply, the other problem would be that the wires connecting to the driver came loose. In this case you can open up the back of the headphone and check the wire connections. If it's loose you can reconnect the wire by liquifying the drop of silver metal (solder) that connects the base of the driver to the wire for just a split second using the tip of a soler iron, then reconnect the wire after the metal hardens within 1-2 seconds. This method however is risky because you may end up evaporing the existing solder if there's not enough on there already, plus of course not all headphones are easy to open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back