SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #1,051 of 1,386
PS- in my opinion the Soundmagic's are totally worthless without an AMP (it pairs quite well with the Schiid Magni), so that the bass and impact/dynamics are controlled/refined nicely rather than endlessly boomy.

Gonna have to disagree with you pretty strongly here.  I think these sound pretty good without an amp, which is why I have them. 

But I will say that these DO scale spectacularly.  I listened to them off a Fiio X5+E12 at CES and they were really impressive.  I also listened to them off a Chord Hugo and they were mind- bogglingly good.  I'm very familiar with the HP100 as I listen to them for a few hours a day at work.  The Chord made them sound like I've never heard before.  

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,052 of 1,386
Gonna have to disagree with you pretty strongly here.  I think these sound pretty good without an amp, which is why I have them. 

But I will say that these DO scale spectacularly.  I listened to them off a Fiio X5+E12 at CES and they were really impressive.  I also listened to them off a Chord Hugo and they were mind- bogglingly good.  I'm very familiar with the HP100 as I listen to them for a few hours a day at work.  The Chord made them sound like I've never heard before.  

+1 to what Stillhart says. Sound pretty good out of my regular consumer devices, but better with a decent DAC/amp. :)

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #1,053 of 1,386
Well, for an audiophle such as myself who appreciates a fairly neutral sound signature with a decent speed of dynamics, the Soundmagics are totally unlistenable without an Amp. Any of you who haven't tried it will be in for a treat in terms of the improved refinement and you just may not be able to do without an amp.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #1,054 of 1,386
Well, for an audiophle such as myself who appreciates a fairly neutral sound signature with a decent speed of dynamics, the Soundmagics are totally unlistenable without an Amp. Any of you who haven't tried it will be in for a treat in terms of the improved refinement and you just may not be able to do without an amp.

Dynamics are not really about amp quality, but about available power, and the amount of power needed is dependent on listening volume. Perhaps you just like to listen loud.

And yes. I know what they sound like with an amp. I have an NFB-11 which has plenty of power to drive them.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #1,055 of 1,386

I don't know, has an audiophile such as yourself listened to something like the Q701 or other cans in the AKG K7-- family?  I feel like what you're saying applies to those much more than the HP100.  I got the HP100 specifically because it's easy to drive and doesn't need any particular high quality gear to sound decent.

I agree that it sounds better amped.  But calling it "unlistenable" without an amp is a major stretch IMO.  

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #1,056 of 1,386
Yes I've done an online listening to both those two AKG's mentioned above and as far as I remember they don't sound natural enough with a strange F.R. curve to back it. For my ears though, I wouldn't use the S.M. unamped because of a super slow & boomy bass if without an amp. I'm basing this on plugged in directly to my HP laptop, but maybe the sound of the S.M.'s change depending on which device it's being directly conntected to.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #1,057 of 1,386
Yes I've done an online listening to both those two AKG's mentioned above and as far as I remember they don't sound natural enough with a strange F.R. curve to back it. For my ears though, I wouldn't use the S.M. unamped because of a super slow & boomy bass if without an amp. I'm basing this on plugged in directly to my HP laptop, but maybe the sound of the S.M.'s change depending on which device it's being directly conntected to.

Undoubtedly. Laptop audio can sometimes be pretty bad.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #1,058 of 1,386
I agree that it sounds better amped.  But calling it "unlistenable" without an amp is a major stretch IMO.  

I see you have the Clip Zip in your sig. I have one (and a Clip+). I even think it sounds pretty decent out of the Clips, although there is where if you start to run it loud then the weak headphone amp will have problems with dynamics. But it sounds decent to me on the Clips at moderate volumes :)

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #1,059 of 1,386
I see you have the Clip Zip in your sig. I have one (and a Clip+). I even think it sounds pretty decent out of the Clips, although there is where if you start to run it loud then the weak headphone amp will have problems with dynamics. But it sounds decent to me on the Clips at moderate volumes
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't generally use my Clip without the E11.  I'll use my phone unamped occasionally tho and they sound fine.

And yeah, when you're talking about using a headphone right out of your laptop, if your laptop is anything like my work one, ANYTHING will sound bad.  lol

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #1,061 of 1,386
Does anyone have a Schiit Magni/Modi stack with these? I'm planning on buying the HP100/150's at the start I'd next month and just traded some cans for a Magni.

Hello Yummerz... in short, "heck yeah!" This was the most ironic thing I can remember reading. I was / am listening to music on the HP 100 through the Schiit Magni + Modi combo while I read your post.

Yes these are a good pairing. Myself an experienced audiophile with many dozens of cans tried this is not quite a sonic dream, but it is definitely a great match and phenomenal value for around $100 on the 'phones. I have tested the HP 100's on several other amps and the Magni+Modi honestly did seem to satisfy me nearly just as well with these as other amps costing 10x more. And if you go back a few pages you can see my review on why I like the HP 100 better than the 150, but basically it's because they look more unique and have slightly more controlled bass, to me at least.   - Levi

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #1,063 of 1,386
i am thinking to get the hm5 pads, because the stock pads are too shallow.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/
also the stock pads interior is lengthwise a little too short for my ears.

would the brainwavz pads be recommendable?
do they change the sound signature? if so, how?

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,064 of 1,386
  i am thinking to get the hm5 pads, because the stock pads are too shallow.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/
also the stock pads interior is lengthwise a little too short for my ears.

would the brainwavz pads be recommendable?
do they change the sound signature? if so, how?

I use the hm5 pads currently and they work well. A little difficult to get on though. The sound, for me at least, stayed the same with possibly a small increase in soundstage depth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back