SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #751 of 1,386
Well, It should be doable, but does it stay on? I mean It doesn't have the locking mech I guess? And I would actually prefere a coiled cable, but with a bit longer traight part, so the coiled part could lay on the table, only.

Yeah it stays on fine, it's a nice tight fit. Yeah the cable has no locking mechanism. You could use the short cable to connect to a different, preferable coiled cable. I certainly don't like the cable that comes with the HP100s because it's heavier than the headphones themselves, meaning it pulls the left cup out of place when you're walking around.

So there's that against them as portable headphones, you'd definitely need to change the cable in my opinion. But they isolate pretty well and they're comfy and light. I wouldn't call them warm, though. They're on the slightly colder side of neutral, to my ears. Most people seem to like to warm them up with a warm amp (or I just use an EQ). If you want a warmish sounding neutral 'phone you could look at the PSB M4U 1.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #752 of 1,386
I would call them warm. You can get the HP200 cable which is straight.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #754 of 1,386
Strange, as they are on the warmer smoother side of sound.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #755 of 1,386
Since there's no way to audition these here in Canada can anyone tell me how they would compare to the K240's?

I've read that these 100's are similar to the k550's but are the 550's similar the the K240's even though one is closed and the other is semi?

I've never been a fan of closed headphones but find myself in need of one to record tracks in my studio.
If I can get a pair for recording AND improve on my k240's for everyday listening...I'll be thrilled.

Any thoughts?

Edit~Also should I be looking for a certain version if these cans have been modified slightly over time?

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #757 of 1,386
Ok,

I auditioned the AKG 550's today to get a grasp on what I can expect from the HP100.
I was shocked at how thin the 550's were.

So this leaves me with the question of IS the 550's the closest to the HP100 in sound or should I audition something like the BeyerD DT880's?

I also tested the AKG702's and found them not bad but a little veiled on certain songs like one by Peter Gabriel
Maybe my ears are adjusted to my AKG 240's.

I ended up buying the Shure SRH 840's to try at home but the HP100's are still on my mind.

So, am I a fool to buy the 840's over the HP100's?
They're about the same price.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #758 of 1,386
So how's about DT770/DT990 pads there? I saw that DT770 works with them but are DT990 pads also fit?

And how do they change sound/comfort/scene? Do you recommend changing earpads in HP100?

Regards.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #759 of 1,386
  Ok,

I auditioned the AKG 550's today to get a grasp on what I can expect from the HP100.
I was shocked at how thin the 550's were.

So this leaves me with the question of IS the 550's the closest to the HP100 in sound or should I audition something like the BeyerD DT880's?

I also tested the AKG702's and found them not bad but a little veiled on certain songs like one by Peter Gabriel
Maybe my ears are adjusted to my AKG 240's.

I ended up buying the Shure SRH 840's to try at home but the HP100's are still on my mind.

So, am I a fool to buy the 840's over the HP100's?
They're about the same price.

I got the shure 840 first, too. But returned them, and I now have the HP100. I would say it kinda depends on how much you're prepared to modify, and if it’s even a problem for you. If I got the 840 I would definitely be modding the headband, and getting some velour pads for them.
I don’t have the same need to mod or change pads on the HP100, though I did put on some 770 pads, which work out well, but the stock pleather pads aren’t that bad. The headband is a lot better and has more padding than the 840, so no need to mod there. Not for a while anyway. Though in my opinion, the headband is nowhere near as great, as the AKG 272, 271, 701… headband. But it’s ok for now. The coiled cable on the HP100 sucks, it’s coiled to far up, so there’s a lot of heavy coiled cable hanging and pulling the headphone. I will be making my own, or maybe straightening the coiled a little or something… The cable on 840 is perfect in my opinion, for using at my desk.
Lastly the sound is more fun on the HP100, as many of the reviews describe here, the bass works wonders and the sound is clear, still on the neutral side, but not as neutral as the 840. I loved the sound on the 840, but I did miss a little bass, and I got that on the HP100. Though the treble does seem to get a bit piercing at times, on some songs. I use a focusrite scarlet 2i2, and I also got the E17, but it's not really working out, as a desk DAC for me:frowning2: But it works well with the HP100.

In conclusion. If the headphones are the same price I would get the HP100, no doubt. But here the 840 are around 70-80$ cheaper than the HP100, so it’s not as clear cut a case.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #760 of 1,386
So I just did this "ear pad mod" this afternoon to further improve the HP200's comfort without compromising the audio quality.

All I did was ask my kind friend to grab me a pair of HM5 ear pads, then I applied them on top of the stock ear pads, and added a thin, foam ring underneath the HM5 pad to give it a bit more height. Comfortable? Yes. Sound quality modified? Not too sure as yet. I feel the sound has gotten a tiny bit warmer, and the treble has been toned down by a hair-line, but nothing yet that stands out to me. Although, I'm sure the stock pads would surely make it sound better than any mods, as the HP200 are rather ear-pad sensitive. 

Here are a few pictures of what my final "mod" looks like. 

What I aimed to achieve out of this? 
For the stock pads (which decompressed over time) to stop allowing my ears to touch the driver area, and for me to achieve a Fostex THX00 ear pad look-alike. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #761 of 1,386

I got the shure 840 first, too. But returned them, and I now have the HP100. I would say it kinda depends on how much you're prepared to modify, and if it’s even a problem for you. If I got the 840 I would definitely be modding the headband, and getting some velour pads for them.
I don’t have the same need to mod or change pads on the HP100, though I did put on some 770 pads, which work out well, but the stock pleather pads aren’t that bad. The headband is a lot better and has more padding than the 840, so no need to mod there. Not for a while anyway. Though in my opinion, the headband is nowhere near as great, as the AKG 272, 271, 701… headband. But it’s ok for now. The coiled cable on the HP100 sucks, it’s coiled to far up, so there’s a lot of heavy coiled cable hanging and pulling the headphone. I will be making my own, or maybe straightening the coiled a little or something… The cable on 840 is perfect in my opinion, for using at my desk.
Lastly the sound is more fun on the HP100, as many of the reviews describe here, the bass works wonders and the sound is clear, still on the neutral side, but not as neutral as the 840. I loved the sound on the 840, but I did miss a little bass, and I got that on the HP100. Though the treble does seem to get a bit piercing at times, on some songs. I use a focusrite scarlet 2i2, and I also got the E17, but it's not really working out, as a desk DAC for me:frowning2: But it works well with the HP100.

In conclusion. If the headphones are the same price I would get the HP100, no doubt. But here the 840 are around 70-80$ cheaper than the HP100, so it’s not as clear cut a case.

Thanks for the response NVN,

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #762 of 1,386
Ok I just got these and I have to say I'm underwhelmed.

I don't know if it's a defective unit, burn in requirements or what but they sound off.

They sound thin and somewhat vailed. Instruments just don't sound real. The bass goes deep, but you can't get the real texture of instruments such as the double bass.

I'm playing them out of a fiio x3. My point of comparison is the onkyo es 300s, which outside of comfort have these beat hands down so far.

Could I have a defective pair? Is it a burn in issue? Please advise.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #763 of 1,386
That sounds odd to me. Have you only tried them on the X3? Maybe try a different source.

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #765 of 1,386
Burn in does make a little difference. But I only recommend it if you have time to still return them. I say give them a listen for a few days, try high gain on the X3. Maybe they don't have good synergy with the X3 (which has quite a warm laid back sound, doesn't sou d good with my UM Pro30 for this reason).

I say give them a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back