Sound significantly improves with portable amps?
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ajudhian

New Head-Fier
Hi all...

I recently got a Shure SRH 440 to accompany my iPod Touch 4th Gen... I just wondering, if I buy a quite decent portable amps (under USD 100), does the sound improve significantly? In what range (high, mid, low) that it improves?
Because if it improves significantly, I definitely will buy one...

And one more thing, what type of portable amps under USD 100 you recommend?  

Thank you...

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 18
The soundquality difenitaly improve include tight punchier bass, increase in soundstage, better imaging, instruments separation, more details in mids, highs and under this budget i will recommend the AMPs like Fiio E11+Fiio L3 LOD.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 18
Thank you for the advise... Sorry, a little question just to confirm, do you mean I need to buy FiioE11 and Fiio L3 LOD, or should I go with either of one?

Thank you

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 18
Thank you for the advise... Sorry, a little question just to confirm, do you mean I need to buy FiioE11 and Fiio L3 LOD, or should I go with either of one?

Thank you

The L3 LOD is an adapter cable for iPod/iPhone, so when he says E11+L3, it means you need both. The L3 takes the port you use to charge and connect to the computer, and converts it into a male headphone jack so you can plug it into an amp. :)

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 18
E11 is a good choice for SHR440, you will notice a nice change in volume, soundstage, (what ZARIM said basically) you will also notice the music comes to life with more body, boosting those volume levels (signal) means you can gain better clarity without your headphones labouring for power to do so. You could also look at the Fiio E6 portable amp but E11 is much more fun to play with / has some nice bass boost settings which boost the low end! < Good Stuff! Plus gain, low/high power settings!

You need both, You need LOD + AMP You need the LOD (not very expensive) to get a line out from your ipod, doing so bypasses your internal headphone amp feeding the amp a cleaner signal! Using LOD all volume adjustments are controlled by the amp only!  (E11 + L3... or....L9)

Personally I like the L9 cable as it's an upgrade to the L3. 
gs1000.gif

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Hi all...

I recently got a Shure SRH 440 to accompany my iPod Touch 4th Gen... I just wondering, if I buy a quite decent portable amps (under USD 100), does the sound improve significantly? In what range (high, mid, low) that it improves?
Because if it improves significantly, I definitely will buy one...

And one more thing, what type of portable amps under USD 100 you recommend?  

Thank you...

Are you maxing out the volume on the iPod? If yes, you need an amp, because its probably not loud enough.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
@proton007: Usually I set the volume at the middle (max aroun 60%)... Does it mean I don't need portable amp?
Thanks

Well in that case, not really. If you just enjoy the natural sound signature of your headphones, then I don't think there's any need. 
Many here will say that there are definite improvements, but how much of it is real and how much of a difference there is in reality are two separate things. An amp is mostly adding gain to the signal, its the same as before, just amplified. If you're looking to enhance bass/treble/mids then you can use the EQ, or maybe a third party app to do that.

Jun 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Well in that case, not really. If you just enjoy the natural sound signature of your headphones, then I don't think there's any need. 
Many here will say that there are definite improvements, but how much of it is real and how much of a difference there is in reality are two separate things. An amp is mostly adding gain to the signal, its the same as before, just amplified. If you're looking to enhance bass/treble/mids then you can use the EQ, or maybe a third party app to do that.

There is an additional difference you are discounting--using an LOD you are bypassing the internal amp of the iPod. The external amp is then amplifying that line-out signal instead of the pre-colored headphone-level out from the iPod's headphone jack. This definitely affects the sound, generally in a rather positive way.

Quote:
Now I get confused again
frown.gif
. Surely I won't spend $70 if the sound not improved significantly... Any other thoughts? Sorry for keep asking since I'm new in this...

I've got a pair of Shure 440's as well.  I found them virtually unusable straight from my 4th gen iPod Touch.  They were just so shrill (bright in the highs) and lacked bass.  I ended up replacing them for music use with a pair of Sennheiser HD25's but the 440's definitely respond nicely to an amplifier.  I briefly tried them with my iBasso D-Zero and they were much less fatiguing. I use them now with my home theatre receiver for late-night TV/movie watching as I live in a condo and don't want to disrupt the neighbors late at night, and they sound really really good that way, and I feel it's due to the receiver being such a good headphone amp. 

I think it's worth your money to try it.  As others have suggested, an E11 with an LOD should be a good choice in your price range.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
@mutnat and others: thank you for your explanation and comments. I have made up my mind to give it a go!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope you are satisfied with your purchase.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 13, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 18
Hi guys,
I have bought Fiilo E11 and L3... God, I couldn't be happier
smily_headphones1.gif
.The sound is AMAZIIIIINGG!! The bass is now more presence without being overwhelming.
The clarity is still there, but with more bass presence... For me, sounds totally perfect!!! Now, I always take along my "full gear" wherever I go... 
Thank you guys for the advices... You rock!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back