Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Dec 22, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #437 of 609
A particularly dirty track I used to finalize the bass settings with my PEQ settings for my room. When this track did not sound too boomy, but still hit with soul, I knew my room correction was about as good as it was going to get without going nuts with cost or time.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #438 of 609
This is trippy music!! Why not post some videos in the Sound Science music thread!
why not? because I have nothing like an objective/technical reason to value one more than another. I'm again only able to perform a "me likes" evaluation and nothing else which is supposedly not the purpose of this topic. :wink:

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #440 of 609
why not? because I have nothing like an objective/technical reason to value one more than another. I'm again only able to perform a "me likes" evaluation and nothing else which is supposedly not the purpose of this topic. :wink:

To such trepidation, I might reply with this song, with such a beautiful melody and chords, the idea is irresistible, and the imagery in the movie makes the point even further. . . :L3000:

Or I might jazz it up a little with some scat singing, some cool drums, bass and sax and a really nice "first instrument". . .

Not all ideas are best described in words or math. Sometimes the thing speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #441 of 609
A particularly dirty track I used to finalize the bass settings with my PEQ settings for my room. When this track did not sound too boomy, but still hit with soul, I knew my room correction was about as good as it was going to get without going nuts with cost or time.

Well now that's interesting, I listened to that on nice speakers last night and heard the bass notes loud and clear. I listen to it on my Macbook Pro speakers this morning and neither the bass notes or any hint of them were even there! Which makes me think there are very few of the harmonics from the bass notes being reproduced to let you infer the lower notes from the higher harmonics.

Most of the bass notes sound like the lowest F, G, and C on a string bass (I think there were one or two oddball notes in there too), or, roughly, 43.65 hertz, 49 hz, and 65.41 hz, with, as far as I can tell, very few harmonics to clue you in by ear if your speakers can't hit especially those lower two notes, 43.65 hz and 49 hz. In short: excellent use of a subwoofer!! :)

On a nice stereo I think you've just got to get 40 hz and up clean (which it sounds like you are doing) or you or going to miss some of the foundations of the music.

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #444 of 609
This thread seems to be going dormant a little so I thought I'd bump it up and lighten things up a bit.

If you post here please put in a sentence or two why you like the music. We need a balance of providing some context for people when they approach a song without being too rigid or dogmatic. So let's try to strike that balance between being courteous to the reader who wonders why they should listen to what was posted here and the listener being open-minded. It's a two-way street.

There's plenty going on here on this track. . . great musicians playing real instruments and having a great time being creative. You can follow the narrative, the horns together and the horn solos, the synth, the piano, the bass, the guitar, the real drums, the singing and harmony, it's very deeply layered with lots of musical dynamics.

And did I mention real people playing real instruments and having fun. ; ) With their actual personalities coming through.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #445 of 609
Three masters... Karajan, Menuhin and Clouzot. There were several of these films made by Clouzot in the early 60s. They're the greatest filmed classical performances I've ever seen.

Jan 14, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #447 of 609
Swedish Progressive Metal band 'Soen'. They should be palatable to people who don't like traditional Metal bands. I love the contrast between the gentile (but still powerful) vocals and the progressive sound. They were a little 'Tool' obsessed in the early days but have since tuned into their sound, I love them, I think they're really underrated as a band.

Latest Release to first :-

Jan 20, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #448 of 609
So...Sing Sang Sung - Big Phat Band popped up on shuffle; always enjoy listening to a big band arrangement that 'kicks it!'

Glad there are some people still performing this stuff. Used to listen to Goodman/Ellington/James/Basie/Miller/Rich/etc all the time on my Dad's system when I was growing up.

Started digging a little on some of their other tunes and came across 'On Green Dolphin Street'...interesting! I have several versions of this song -- all done by smaller jazz groups (trios, quartets). Definitely a change of pace for this song...at least for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back