Sound Science Music Thread: Pass it on!
Dec 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #421 of 609
Well you know, Duke Ellington was hip to those USB C cables, even in his early years, as early as 1942!

He was so delighted, he had all of the jazz greats over to the Harlem Cats Eatery and they played "[USB] C-Jam Blues" !

Have always loved this song! I think the first version I heard was by Count Basie on my Dad's Telefunken Console Stereo :)

SAM_5505_1024x1024.JPG

That said, I think my favorite version is by Peterson, Brown, & Thigpen (no sax though)

Like Gerald Albright's as well...

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #425 of 609
The programmed drums are interesting... that's about it for me.

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #428 of 609
I've always loved street musicians. I almost got a sense for it once. I had arrived in London and had been playing in my college jazz band back in the US for a couple of years, mostly self-taught (though I was a music minor). I was dragging around all my junk across London to where I was going and just sat down exhausted for a bit and started playing guitar and people started watching and wanting to put down money. I declined and told them I was just tired. It was very flattering though, something I never forgot. I was all of 19 or 20--it's hard to do the math at this age. : )

Ran across this gem by Joni Mitchell while having some tunes on--interesting to hear the experience from her perspective. There seem to be two great versions out there--the Ladies of the Canyon LP recording and a live BBC recording. The studio album recording has the advantage of very nice clarinet flourishes at the end, the BBC version has the advantage of letting you see visually the spectacle of her talent.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #429 of 609
Got to see the Lincoln Center jazz orchestra with Wynton Marsalis last night, with my three teenage sons, all of whom play jazz (and classical) about as well as I ever did or a little better (i.e., not saying much). The orchestra seem to have some new arrangements on this tour and two new singers, two very young and very talented singers. I was so proud and thrilled to take my kids and show them some of the best and most exciting jazz in the world live! And they really loved it! One thing that I found remarkable was how Wynton Marsalis had his usual humor but deflected the praise and attention away from himself and to the members of the orchestra and seemed to make efforts not to show up the rest of the band (even if he could--they had a little group singing with four of their musicians all of whom had perfect pitch! He remarked that no one could have sung the inner parts without the benefit of perfect pitch.) Most of the musicians had more than one instrument sitting beside them, some played as many as four during the concert--flutes, bass flutes, clarinets, maybe a soprano sax, etc., in addition to the usual big-band jazz staples. I was super-happy to see this because I am always preaching to my kids about how big band jazz is not about just trumpets, saxes, trombones and a rhythm section (as they tend to restrict it in teaching it in the schools--they are just killing creativity and innovation)--that is not how jazz musicians roll. That band is so tight and talented and expressive it's breathtaking.

Anyway, here is an older recording of theirs of Jingle Bells:

My intuition based on last night is that the band has suddenly improved over its recent past though! Here's one of the singers on tour they had last night, Veronica Swift, just incredible, it's impossible to find anything of hers on Youtube that even remotely does her justice. She's only 24. Then again, I first saw Wynton Marsalis at a Kennedy Center jazz festival when he was only 18 (he's my age so it's been fun tracking him)! I definitely hope she gets some traction and makes it big-time. When her first CD comes out I'll buy it just to support the music. I can think of some of the newer "jazz" singers who are easy on the eyes with pretty voices but are just singing the lyrics to standards and don't seem to have anywhere near this degree of talent, musicianship or dedication. As you can see Ms. Swift can give a sultry look if she has to but that's not really what she's about. https://www.veronicaswift.com/ (links to multiple videos). What she needs is an album with a high sound quality recording of her--just amazing. Great scat singing here:

How can she not get a recording contract? Hopefully this tour will get her to where she should be in the music world.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #430 of 609
One of my favorite performances of one of my favorite songs of all time.

If anyone could please explain to me exactly what happened to Pancho or where Lefty got the bread to go to a cheap hotel in Ohio I would deeply appreciate it.

The song still gives me goosebumps even though I have no idea what's going on.

But that's the way it goes. . . they only let him slip away. . out of kindness I suppose . .

I really need to know. . . and now I'm growing old.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #432 of 609
90s UK IDM was so ahead of its time....alien electronica music.

amazing band , def not for xmas parties.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #433 of 609
Saw the Washington Chorus.

Probably the best current video of the ensemble with the new conductor, Christopher Bell--about thinking about those who have passed away that you used to see during the holiday season.

And a couple of heads in the way and some coughing but a decent amateur capture of a recent performance. This song is about wishing for a better day. . . a universal human sentiment, I would guess, whatever your persuasion. . .

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #435 of 609
apparently I'm a huge symphonic metal fan. I had no idea that I was, or that it was a music genre. IMO some of the names listed in the link really do not belong together even as a joke. but I can't remember having and enjoying so many of the bands mentioned for a specific genre aside maybe for classical music. today I've learned to name a genre I like without calling it rock ^_^, I'm making tremendous progress.

Symphonic Metal for @castleofargh and @KeithEmo !!!! Trippyll!!!! Nice sound to my ears and definitely creative.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back