Sound Science Corner Pub
May 13, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #601 of 705
If trolls get the message that if you troll they will delete you, they’ll think twice about wasting their time. That is EXACTLY what we need to get across. This is the sound science forum. It’s where we discuss sound science. If someone wants to talk about something else, they can go somewhere else.

We aren’t allowed to counter subjectivism in the cables thread, they shouldn’t be able to reject science in sound science. I firmly believe that the ABX test and logical evidence based arguments should be the cornerstone of what this forum is. Reject that and you get booted out. Gently at first with accelerating permanence for repeat offenders.

The only reason this has been an endless stream of trolling is because it is allowed. Making a few examples out of trolls would dissuade others, and the endless stream would end.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #602 of 705
Interesting article on the topic of Android 14's "lossless USB" and whatever that might mean:
(it's in Japanese but I provide also a Google translator link)
I’m not sure you meant to post that in this thread, maybe start a new one of you want to discuss that article (or the translation).
Why was the thread allowed to grow? Why wasn't it deleted immediately before people wasted days with it?
I presume it’s because @castleofargh doesn’t live on Head-Fi, is an unpaid volunteer and doesn’t monitor Head-Fi constantly.
Unfortunately you open the door to someone with bad intentions who just wants to sabotage a thread in order to be completely deleted by a mod. This would give them 100% success rate all the time.
But they were the thread starters, so why would they want their own thread “to be completely deleted by a mod”? I presume they are just trying to troll this sub forum, either because they just like trolling or to hopefully goad a member into insulting them and get them banned. Plenty of examples of both over the years here.

G

May 13, 2024 at 6:08 AM Post #603 of 705
If trolls get the message that if you troll they will delete you, they’ll think twice about wasting their time. That is EXACTLY what we need to get across. This is the sound science forum. It’s where we discuss sound science. If someone wants to talk about something else, they can go somewhere else.

The only reason this has been an endless stream of trolling is because it is allowed. A few examples would dissuade others, and the endless stream would end.

Yes it might work that way but it would be a careful balancing act between getting a message across to deter future nonsense and sending the apparent message that Sound Science is so close minded that they will delete anyone with different ideas.

It is obviously a problem with no good answer.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #604 of 705
I presume it’s because @castleofargh doesn’t live on Head-Fi, is an unpaid volunteer and doesn’t monitor Head-Fi constantly.

Absolutely. This isn’t castle’s fault. Perhaps it’s time for more of the regulars to be given admin status, and a back and forth discussion among them can be started to establish what will and won’t be tolerated. I think there should be consideration of light punishments up front, rather than waiting till the end and nuking everything.

May 13, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #605 of 705
I’m not sure you meant to post that in this thread, maybe start a new one of you want to discuss that article (or the translation).

But they were the thread starters, so why would they want their own thread “to be completely deleted by a mod”? I presume they are just trying to troll this sub forum, either because they just like trolling or to hopefully goad a member into insulting them and get them banned. Plenty of examples of both over the years here.

G

Thanks @gregorio , I also wasn't sure, but I thought it's just not worth it's own thread and along I saw the sound science thread... and the OP of this japanese article surely applied some basic scientific methods to evaluate these Android 14 capabilities.

Ah, so it was the thread starter with a troll posting here. Then you're right, obviously it was not to sabotage a thread, it was to sabotage a whole sub-forum.
These entitled people are just everywhere and getting worse I think. Hope we and head-fi mods get this "under control"... I am pretty sure.

nevertheless, sorry I just posted here the last time like 10+ years ago, and yes, you can say that I am working in a "sound science" or "audio science" field actually, but unfortunately not related to anything involving headphones though... something compleeeetely different.

May 13, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #606 of 705
Please start a thread. It would be good to have a topic that is free of land mines.

May 13, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #607 of 705
Perhaps it’s time for more of the regulars to be given admin status, and a back and forth discussion among them can be started to establish what will and won’t be tolerated.
I don’t see that as workable. You want a group of volunteers with limited time to organise and have a discussion about every problematic thread on sound science (which sooner or later is nearly all of them)?

@castleofargh - In the most recent case, where the thread not only went off the rails big time (woke, Nazis, race, etc. Really?) but within page or two of it being started and before anyone had contributed much in the way of relevant facts/science, then deletion is IMHO the sensible decision. But in the sunjam case, where there was quite a lot of relevant and potentially useful info (including from you), I personally would have been tempted to have made a brief final post, something along the lines of the thread going round in circles because the OP was defending a false argument with pseudoscience, and then lock it, rather than just deleting the whole thing.

the OP of this japanese article surely applied some basic scientific methods to evaluate these Android 14 capabilities.
TBH, it looked more like the “blind leading the blind” to me but any discussion about that should really be in a different thread.

G

May 13, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #608 of 705
No, I’d like to see a group of volunteers get together and work up a strategy and guidelines that they all implement. Admins are always volunteers. Putting it all on the shoulders of one person isn’t fair.

May 13, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #609 of 705
TBH, it looked more like the “blind leading the blind” to me but any discussion about that should really be in a different thread.

G

Ok, I see, very strong opinions, and the scientific level here is not worthy of this contribution and its way higher than what this guy did, I understand, mea culpa.

But wasnt it a guy named @bigshot who said the following in his intruductory post: "I'd like to go back to the original purpose of the lounge... a relaxed place for all of us to hang out and let go of all of the competitiveness and animosity. This is our space to make friends and hang out."

Nevermind, it seems you have different troubles here to solve in this thread and I'll leave you to it, ciao.

May 13, 2024 at 7:10 AM Post #610 of 705
Tehát néhány nap alatt töröltem 2 szálat. A miért, valószínűleg nem nagy rejtély azok számára, akik olvasták ezeket a szálakat. Általában nem vagyok rajongója az ilyen nehéz lépéseknek, de ha maga az OP válik a végső főnökké nagyon sok olyan bejegyzéssel, amelyeknek nem kellene létezniük, kitilthatom őt a saját szálából (furcsa), és fájdalmasan kivehetem az összes sértő dolgot egyenként, majd ellenőrizhetem, hol idézték. Vagy megnyomhatom a "szál törlése" gombot, és kész.
Azt hiszem, amit mondok, lusta vagyok. Elnézést kérek azoktól, akik releváns tartalmat tettek közzé, ti vagytok a "lágy és precíz" megközelítésem áldozatai.
:beerchug:

May 13, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #611 of 705
So, I've deleted 2 threads in a few days now. The why, probably isn't a huge mystery to those who were reading those threads. I'm not a fan of such heavy moves in general, but once the OP himself turns into the final boss with very many posts that shouldn't exist, I can ban him from his own thread(weird) and painfully take out all the offensive stuff one by one, then check where it was quoted. Or I can press "delete thread" and be done.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm lazy. I'm sorry for those who had posted relevant content, you're the victims of my "soft and precise" approach.
I kinda wish those threads could stay there but locked. Both of them expose the OP as either extremely ignorant or completely insane. I understand that the USB thread went well beyond what's accepted on head-fi so it either had to go or you had to wade through the posts one by one but I feel like the sunjam saga was just a regular occurrence of someone posting here who has a very superficial understanding of audio while thinking they are an expert on it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #612 of 705
Sunjam wasn’t entirely straightforward. He knew what he was doing. He did it before and had run into trouble. He didn’t care.

May 13, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #613 of 705
Please start a thread. It would be good to have a topic that is free of land mines.
Not objecting to this but isn't it sad that a thread labelled "the corner pub" has to be dedicated to dealing with trolls to such an extent that ordinary content / chatter can't even be accommodated?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #614 of 705
Why was the thread allowed to grow? Why wasn't it deleted immediately before people wasted days with it?
1/ Admins(the real ones)almost never interfere with this section.
2/ there is no clear concept of preventive anything. I'm bound by the rules you have all agreed to when you joined Headfi. Not acting on them is half excused by me pretending I didn't see something so long as there is no report, but taking action without a valid breach of the rules, now that would be abuse of power.
3/ I mostly moderate based on reports(like most admins do AFAIK). And the more I am personally implicated in a thread, like with sunjam(I came to very much hate the guy, or at least his role play, as I hardly found any genuine honest thought in his posts), the less I feel that I have a right to act as an admin.

And now,
My people, I have heard you!:smile_cat: I put back sunjam's thread and locked it. It bothers me, but several of you suggested it would have been a better option, and I'm here to please(vote for me). I do wish to keep the USB thread deleted. That one is full of actually forbidden stuff(I went to bed and boom).

May 13, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #615 of 705
It’s just that starting a specific topic in here is going to get lost in the meta convos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back