Sound Science Corner Pub
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #34 of 585
Vinyl is great because of all the massive distortion it introduces to the signal…

...I want massive THD all over the place so I don't have to wonder if it sounds warm or not.
Vinyl is an effect that happens to be a sound format too. Why not have the digital/CD release be simply a rip of the vinyl so the vinyl and CD would sound the same? It's stupid of argue vinyls are more hi-fi than CD when you like lo-fi more. Lo-fi may benefit metal music and some other genres*, but not all genres such as classical music.

* Genres musically so empty you need vinyl effects to make it sound richer.

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #36 of 585
Lo-fi may benefit metal music and some other genres*

* Genres musically so empty you need vinyl effects to make it sound richer.

Whoa, why the completely uncalled for shot at metal? Musically empty?! 'Cmon man, as a lover of classical you should know that sub-genres of metal are the closest you'll get to classical in modern music. And I'll take a well recorded/produced and dynamic metal album over a Schiitty one any day of the week. The difference is night and day, and not subtle in the slightest, to put it in audiophile terms. But seriously though.

edit: fixed it castleofargh

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #37 of 585
Yeah, metal does get a bad rap for no reason. The musicianship and compositions are often pretty accomplished, even if you don't care for the aesthetics.

If we want to hate on any musical genres, let's pick something we can all agree objectively sucks like Avicii or Zedd. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #38 of 585
metal -> conductor
conductor -> classical music
QED.

images
images

Whoa, why the completely uncalled for shot at metal? Musically empty?! 'Cmon man, as a lover of classical you should know that sub-genres of metal are the closest you'll get to classical in modern music. I'll take a well recorded/produced and dynamic metal album over a Schiitty one any day of the week. The difference is night and day, and not subtle in the slightest, to put in audiophile terms. But seriously though.

edit: fixed it Castleoffargh
fixed what? is this some kind of Minority Report thing where you stop a crime before it happened? ^_^

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40 of 585
How is heavy metal like classical music? I had a metal head friend play me some heavy metal that had an "operatic" lead singer. It sounded more like a cartoon version of a bad operatic singer.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #41 of 585
How is heavy metal like classical music? I had a metal head friend play me some heavy metal that had an "operatic" lead singer. It sounded more like a cartoon version of a bad operatic singer.

I said that there are sub-genres of metal that are closely related to classical.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #42 of 585
How are they similar? I hear complex musical and harmonic structures and a wide range of time signatures in classical music. In heavy metal I hear the same four chords, basic verse-chorus-verse-chorus, and 4/4 time just about all the time. I'm trying to figure out what makes it like classical music. Just curious.

Is there a heavy metal equivalent of the "Tristan Chord" or a structural thing like symphonic movements or variations on a theme like the Diabelli Variations? Is there a variety of tonal color and orchestration like the difference between Debussy and Rimsky-Korsakoff? I guess I can kind of see ornamentation and improvisation like in Mozart in guitar solos, but that isn't unique to heavy metal. That is part of Jazz and the Blues too.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #43 of 585
Prog rock being another genre inspired by classical.

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #44 of 585
I have a theory that when Jazz crosses over into other fields of music, it generally improves it. When rock crosses over, it usually just dumbs things down. Rock is best when it keeps close to its roots in pop music and the Blues. In the case of prog rock, classical didn't cross over into rock, rock crossed over into classical. Examples of classical crossing over into rock would be things like Phillip Glass and Steve Reich and other minimalists who used electronic instruments. Not a lot of meat there either, to be honest.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #45 of 585
I have a theory that when Jazz crosses over into other fields of music, it generally improves it. When rock crosses over, it usually just dumbs things down. Rock is best when it keeps close to its roots in pop music and the Blues. In the case of prog rock, classical didn't cross over into rock, rock crossed over into classical. Examples of classical crossing over into rock would be things like Phillip Glass and Steve Reich and other minimalists who used electronic instruments. Not a lot of meat there either, to be honest.

I tend to like the latter (Glass, Reich) more than the former (prog rock). Dunno why, but prog rock just makes me ask 'well, why not just listen to rock and classical separately?' The minimalist language, on the other hand, stands enough on its own that I seek it out for and of itself. Perhaps it just comes down to compositional assuredness, which is somewhat required when one is a student of Boulanger.

Was it Nightwish?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back