Sound Rhyme impression thread
Apr 9, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #572 of 2,503

Great review, very detailed from Akros!

Haha overly vivid, another take on coloration, from timbral accuracy and neutrality perspective, HEXA / P5 could be a better choice, I like those pros / cons analytical walk through on many aspects.

I do see why Akross loves P5, it’s academically tuned, for mid and upper, very sophisticated and timbral accuracy is very high. However, P5‘s bass isn’t academic, it’s boosted and heavy hitting, actually very deep deep sounding speaker woofer like approach, with weakness on details articulation as well as image positioning (The bass is only coming from one set of direction to my perception, as if you are hearing a movie theater with loud speaker)

Sadly looks like SR5 didn’t fit with Akros’s ear, but hey there is no one size fit all🤔

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #574 of 2,503
SR5 is the 4BA+1DD and thats one I would get.
bad naming of Sound Rhyme actually, both SR3 and SR5 are 4BA+1DD, SR3 uses Sonion 689 instead of Knowles ED29689, and they both use Knowles composite 31736 SWFK tweeters for treble, I recall the bass DD was a bit different size though.

SR5 is a safer bet, I guess.

Penon tried all, and decided not to risk their inventory risk on SR3, DTE900, and I heard couple of voices DTE900 tuning may need some rework. Which may also applied to SR3.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #575 of 2,503
how does the simgot ea500 compare to SR5?
Single Dynamic cannot compete with a proper 4BA+1DD in terms of image separation and layering, however EA500 can compete with SR5 in terms of treble brightness and due to the brightness plus metal housing internal acoustic resonance, the way sound stage formulated, EA500 has wider sound stage.

SR5 is more resolving IEM and has much heavier bass when compared to almost neutral line of EA500’s bass approach.

It’s and apple to orange, and I’d personally appraise EA500 as B+ (same grade with Moondrop KATO despite EA500 has lower technicalities when A-B tested with Kato), and SR5 as A+.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #577 of 2,503
Single Dynamic cannot compete with a proper 4BA+1DD in terms of image separation and layering, however EA500 can compete with SR5 in terms of treble brightness and due to the brightness plus metal housing internal acoustic resonance, the way sound stage formulated, EA500 has wider sound stage.

SR5 is more resolving IEM and has much heavier bass when compared to almost neutral line of EA500’s bass approach.

It’s and apple to orange, and I’d personally appraise EA500 as B+ (same grade with Moondrop KATO despite EA500 has lower technicalities when A-B tested with Kato), and SR5 as A+.
Regarding the mids and highs of the two, which one can sound more screaming? I have a sensitive ear

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #579 of 2,503
And ho does the Aful Performer 5 compare to SR5? Who's got better bass and sub-bass?

Apr 9, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #582 of 2,503
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #583 of 2,503
@AmericanSpirit can you give us a comparison of DTE500 and SR8 to SR5?
I try to decide which of the two to get and call it a year (or give SR5 to my wife as here midnight got stolen in our last vacation).
Long story short,

SR5 (A+) : Very good nicely colored IEM to enjoy both micro details as well as powerful macro dynamism. I personally find it Warm-Neutral with W-shape tuning, the mid boost is the speciality. Priced at $149 from Penon, it’s one of best pick and cost performing IEMs especially for Rock source.

DTE500 (S) (w/ Null Audio Ethos Mkv ($89) ) : Neutral with mid boost, bass response is calmer than SR5, many would think “heck it’s just SR5 with Sonion EST, a 5 driver tribrid, and add $300 more on top is beyond my understanding “ And I was the one who had that view untill I realized the DTE500 is very sophisticatedly tuned 4way cross over, with Sonion, Knowles, dedicated for different purpose in timbre generation. And beyond all those, legendary high-end Empir Ears trade secret, voltage multiplier EIVEC is used to power EST, enabled EST to perform its full potential, extending treble response all the way upto your hearing limit (technically they claim upto 100khz ). It’s just not on paper, I can hear that. Unfortunately I feel my Monarch and other EST drivers are half-implemented after knowing whats there I can refer as “complete implementation of EST”.

I’ve been keep telling people “yeah yeah EST is silky detailed, but it has the “EST” timbre, which lacks the core energy and feels a but faint sometime, what’s why I prefer BA supertweeters although it sounds more digital”. Now that EIVEC powered EST doesn’t belong to “faint” sounding EST timbre anymore.

With Stock cable, the mid maybe too forward, but you can adjust it with your cables.

SR8 (S+) : No need a long phrase. It’s my endgame. Warm-Neutral with versatile 2 tuning switches. It shall be priced at $4,100 according to my own justification of cost vs performance, or I feel miserable paying $2,700 for qdc Anole VX. In reality it’s priced at $749.…Just consider SR8 as your endgame candidate with lowest possible budget. No further words needed, it sounds Best of all.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #584 of 2,503
Here is the graph for the lazies...
Green - SR5
Red - Juzear 41T (4BA+1DD)
Screenshot_20230409_102616_YouTube.jpg

Purple - AüR Audio Aure (Discontinued) 6BA+1DD
Screenshot_20230409_102815_YouTube.jpg

Black - Aful P5 (4BA+1DD)
Screenshot_20230409_103255_YouTube.jpg

This is a perfect case of everyone hears differently and has different perferences.

This is why I prefer 3.5mm single ended for a more natural tonality & timbre; furthermore, with this specific IEM I don't ever exceed the 60% volume threshmark for the reason because I'm treble sensitive. I can see where Akros is coming from when you listen to SR5 LOUD plus he is an older gentleman so that has to be taken to account. And I'll agree that I prefer the Juzeae 41T when I exceed the 60% volume just cause it sounds warm and more natural to me.

That said I'd take SR5 over the GAEA or similar kilo buck 4BA+1DD. Tip & cable roll and pick up a warm source or EQ since its more on the budget side of IEMs.

PS - it glows the dark. Thats cool AF!

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #585 of 2,503
Here is the graph for the lazies...
Green - SR5
Red - Juzear 41T (4BA+1DD)
Screenshot_20230409_102616_YouTube.jpg
Purple - AüR Audio Aure (Discontinued) 6BA+1DD
Screenshot_20230409_102815_YouTube.jpg
Black - Aful P5 (4BA+1DD)
Screenshot_20230409_103255_YouTube.jpg

This is a perfect case of everyone hears differently and has different perferences.

This is why I prefer 3.5mm single ended for a more natural tonality & timbre; furthermore, with this specific IEM I don't ever exceed the 60% volume threshmark for the reason because I'm treble sensitive. I can see where Akros is coming from when you listen to SR5 LOUD plus he is an older gentleman so that has to be taken to account. And I'll agree that I prefer the Juzeae 41T when I exceed the 60% volume just cause it sounds warm and more natural to me.

That said I'd take SR5 over the GAEA or similar kilo buck 4BA+1DD. Tip & cable roll and pick up a warm source or EQ since its more on the budget side of IEMs.

PS - it glows the dark. Thats cool AF!
wow great FR ref!

And your analytics makes a perfect sense to me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back