Sound card questions/recommendations-DAC/AMP stuff as well...
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shazam777

New Head-Fier
Let me get this out of the way. I'm stupid. There it's done. If I sound like I don't have any knowledge on something or if I sound like an idiot, then you'll know why...cause I told you so. I'm legitimately not trying to troll or sound stupid on purpose. When it comes to audio, after all I've tried to cram into my brain, I still get dumbfounded time and time again.

Also, if this topic is in the wrong area, I apologize, and if it can be moved, feel free to do so.

Here's my current situation:

I just upgraded my computer, after having to, due to a power surge. Lost my mobo, gpu, cpu, and memory. My new rig runs phenomenal(it better after nearly $1000 worth of freaking upgrades) but I want to do away with on board sound. When I plug in my AKG Q701's they sound really low and weak even at max volume. So I did some looking on sound cards with built-in headphone amps in them and came across these two that seem to fit my needs(what do I know though..):

Asus Xonar Essence STX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010

and

HT Omega Claro Halo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271004

So of course I read on both, cause I can never make up my mind and heard that both cards can amp higher impedence cans better than low(Q701's are only 62ohm) which I thought was weird(this is what I read, not what I said). Others say they'll be fine. Yet still others say a Desktop Amp/dac combo is the better route. Which I would connect through the Mobo's optical out, I'm assuming. As far as that is concerned, I wouldn't know which to get or where to get it when it comes to amps or dacs.

Now what would be the better route? I mostly will be gaming as well as talking through Skype/vent/etc during competitive/co-op games with friends(LoL, BF3, Diablo 3 etc.) I would also like whatever setup to be good for music and movies if I choose to listen/watch them. I'd say 80/20 ratio

Should I stick with the STX or Claro Halo?

Opt for a cheaper sound card such as:
Asus Xonar DX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006&Tpk=asus%20xonar%20dx
and then pair it with an amp/dac?

Or shoot for a good Amp/dac combo through optical out(which I assume is where it would be plugged in)

...or another option completely. Thanks in advance for any info.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 5
Soundcards are good if you want to use speaker setups, and need other features like surround, dolby etc. and gaming specific features.
The Sonar STX also has an integrated headphone amp, so that helps, but with an output impedance of ~10 ohms, it'll be better to use headphones with impedance >100 Ohms.
Another option is USB DAC, but it'll only give you a line out. Some DACs have an integrated headphone amp, so it gives a headphone out.
Almost all such options won't provide you with 5.1 line outs or surround/dolby. But it does give you the freedom of choosing the amp as you please. And it can work with any pc/laptop.

So there you go, just pick what you need.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 5
I recommend the Xonars often but for gaming and with demanding cans in future the option of a X-Fi Titanium with seperate headphone amp is also to be considered IMO 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 5
There are lots of threads on Head-Fi were all they talk about is amplifying the Q701.
Search for "Amp the Q701" or "amping the Q701".

Jun 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Opt for a cheaper sound card such as:
Asus Xonar DX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006&Tpk=asus%20xonar%20dx
and then pair it with an amp/dac?

This would work well with an O2 amplifier. The headphone amplifier on the Xonar STX is not as good for low impedance headphones as the O2, but it would still be OK. I do not know much about the HT Omega card, but I would assume it is similar to the STX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back