Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jun 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #211 of 348
Well, in the X7's control panel, you can enable or disable the feature. I personally get really distracted by it too, so I have it turned off. The built-in mic is serviceable, but like any mic that sits further away it's going to have to boost the gain and pick up more room acoustics (you can narrow the "beam" angle of what the mic will pick up, but even so it'll pick up reflections from the wall behind you and you'll still sound a bit distant). The closer the mic is to your mouth, the better, but even equidistant your dedicated Yeti mic will sound better.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #212 of 348
My current setup is a SoundBlaster Recon3D, Musical Fidelity v2 tube headphone amp and AKG712 headphones.
I am using this 100% for MOVIES only.

Going to either the black or white X7, am I going to be wowed? 
How does the X7 compare to the DTS-X headphone processor?

One thing I have noticed with the Recon3D is the lack of rear channels. Even with 7.1 sat, 100% on the surround setting.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #213 of 348
  My current setup is a SoundBlaster Recon3D, Musical Fidelity v2 tube headphone amp and AKG712 headphones.
I am using this 100% for MOVIES only.

Going to either the black or white X7, am I going to be wowed? 
How does the X7 compare to the DTS-X headphone processor?

One thing I have noticed with the Recon3D is the lack of rear channels. Even with 7.1 sat, 100% on the surround setting.

That depends, the power of the X7 is it's versatility. If You need a device that does everything audio-related then yes, You're going to be wowed. But if You're only looking for an upgrade from the Recon 3D, I really don't think so. Unless You're planning on selling the tube amp and using solely the X7 to power the AKG.

About the DTS-X comparison, that's a rather difficult question as there aren't any standalone DTS-X audio processors available.

Is Your Recon properly configured to accept the 7.1 signal (in the Windows control panel, in the player in the Creative panel) ?

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #214 of 348
Im using the REcon3D in stand alone mode.  I use the USB to PC connection to setup the settings and then save them to the Recon3d
Then I use a direct connection from the DirectTV SPDIF/Toslink to the  SPDIF/Toslink input on the REcon3d.  I do the same for the Samsung BluRay player (I manually switch the input on the Recon3D.. So long story short, the Windows Control panel setting does not matter since I am bypassing the PC altogether after my settings are complete.)

Doesn't Turtle Beach have a stand alone DTS-X unit?

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #215 of 348
Okay, are You completely sure that the signal received by the Recon 3D is Dolby Digital (5.1) signal and not LPCM (2.0) signal?

So far no, they announced the TAC a while back but haven't shown a working unit yet.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #216 of 348
The DirectTV Genie system only has Dolby Digital or Stereo as output options.  And its using the SPDIF output so I assume its outputting DD.  Also, since the DD blue light on the Recon3D lights up, again I assume it is.  Same with Samsung blueray

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #217 of 348
I currently own the standard edition of the Sound Blaster x7 ( 70 watt adapter ). Thanks to my place of employment, I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of Polk ATI R1 or ATI R3s for very cheap. Is the standard edition capable of driving these adequately or should I consider alternative speakers?

Jul 4, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #218 of 348
You guys still want to output SBX processed sound to an external DAC? Because, well that is, and was possible from the very beginning.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

I'll paste it here:

1. Right click on your volume tray in Windows 7 and select "Recording devices"
2. Select "What U Hear" and click "Properties" (cringe inducing grammar there Creative)
[Note - you do NOT have to set this as the default recording device]
3. Select the "Listen" tab and check the box marked "Listen to this device"
4. Under the drop down marked "Playback through this device:" select your desired DAC
5. Make sure "Continue running when on battery power" is selected as a software passthrough should have no effect whatsoever on your battery life
6. Select the "Levels" tab and set it to something comfortable, as the volume control for the Creative card's standard output will have no effect on the volume of the software recording device.
7. Enjoy listening to CMSS-3D, freed from the noisy and inferior hardware confines of your internal soundcard!

The X7 does have a What U Hear virtual recording device so this should be painless. It requires a PC as an audio proxy but should work with console input too.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #219 of 348
  You guys still want to output SBX processed sound to an external DAC? Because, well that is, and was possible from the very beginning.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

I'll paste it here:

1. Right click on your volume tray in Windows 7 and select "Recording devices"
2. Select "What U Hear" and click "Properties" (cringe inducing grammar there Creative)
[Note - you do NOT have to set this as the default recording device]
3. Select the "Listen" tab and check the box marked "Listen to this device"
4. Under the drop down marked "Playback through this device:" select your desired DAC
5. Make sure "Continue running when on battery power" is selected as a software passthrough should have no effect whatsoever on your battery life
6. Select the "Levels" tab and set it to something comfortable, as the volume control for the Creative card's standard output will have no effect on the volume of the software recording device.
7. Enjoy listening to CMSS-3D, freed from the noisy and inferior hardware confines of your internal soundcard!

The X7 does have a What U Hear virtual recording device so this should be painless. It requires a PC as an audio proxy but should work with console input too.

hmm, I could use the optical out and it will now process sbx using this method?

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #220 of 348
  hmm, I could use the optical out and it will now process sbx using this method?

Click on What U Hear and use the X7 S/PDIF device as output. Like this:
(It's all in Polish but You should get the gist)
Also, tick on the Listen to this device checkbox

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #221 of 348
Oh yeah, urp, I forgot about that. It does introduce a little noise when I tried it with my recon3D waaay back when I first got into PC audio (all credit to NamelessPFG for pointing it out), but I haven't tried in years. Anyone test it yet?

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #222 of 348
Oh yeah, urp, I forgot about that. It does introduce a little noise when I tried it with my recon3D waaay back when I first got into PC audio (all credit to NamelessPFG for pointing it out), but I haven't tried in years. Anyone test it yet?

I've tested it and it does actually work. No noise whatsoever on my Schiit stack

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #223 of 348
I have tested the Sound Blaster X7 with my computer running Linux Mint 15.

But I only have got 2.1 channel speakers so I only test stereo playback with the Sound Blaster X7.

This is my blog post with the video on using the Sound Blaster X7 with Linux Mint 15.

What about surround simulation? (for headphones)

That's the main thing I want (for surround in movies / positional audio in games).

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #224 of 348
What about surround simulation? (for headphones)

That's the main thing I want (for surround in movies / positional audio in games).

Surround processing is being done internally by the device so once it's calibrated it can operate on any kind of 5.1 signal regardless of the operating system. Pulse Audio running inside Fedora 21 was able to detect 5.1 channels with no problem whatsoever.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #225 of 348
I've tested it and it does actually work. No noise whatsoever on my Schiit stack

Not like mixamp background hiss noise, I mean like you're gonna get less than the "-126dB" note separation and sharpness signal noise. That said, I haven't tried it yet myself, so the practical audio downsides might be nil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back