Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #241 of 348
EDIT:Is there a difference with SPDIF Out vs Speakers? 

Greetings

I was finally able to get the X7 Limited Edition connected to my computer.

However, I still have the same issues, in Windows x7 x64 I can only control the X7 Sound through my speaker and not inside windows.

For example again,

I connect my Bose Cinemate 130 Via Optical to the X7 LE (Optical Out).

When I play music or anything dealing with sound (IE, Chrome, games, etc) I cannot control the volume on the speakrs. It seems the application takes over sound functionality. It does not matter if I am in:
Audio Mode in X7 Direct Mode or Direct Mode (SPDIF-IN)

Now oddly, if I connect to the X7 via my cell phone via blue tooth I can control the sound volume through the X7 App as well as the speakers themselves. 

There has to be a way to fix this.

I've been digging into Sound Blaster X7 chat functionality a little bit more. The recent software update for the Soundblaster X7 added support for a USB Creative BT-W2 bluetooth transmitter which most probably means that the two devices can now be paired and used together. Now get this:
On the support page for the transmitter there is an article explaining how to connect the device to the Playstation 4.

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126731

And as we already know the device does work together with the X7.

I'll ask the Creative guys but it looks like this can be the intended chat solution for X7 users.

I am curious on this device...

I have the X7 LE and am trying to optimize it.

My current setup is:

Computer USB ---> X7 LE---> Optical IN ---> TV Samsung JS9500 One Connect Box

X7 LE---> Optical Out ---> Bose Cinemate 130 Soundbar

Would this device make it more seamless? I can not for the life of me get the X7 to function right in windows. Sound is controlled through the apps vs the X7, meanwhile on bluetooth my phone can control it.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #242 of 348
Kinda dead in here. I have another noob question: Will my dap (Fiio x3ii) sound better thru the X7 via USB or coax?

I was under the impression most USB devices can't pass through high sampling rates. Or is this solely dependent upon the DAC?

Also, would the audio signal be degraded if amplified twice?

(I'm sure someone here will have fun with these questions. :smiley:)
Thanks!

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #243 of 348

EDIT:Is there a difference with SPDIF Out vs Speakers? 

Greetings

I was finally able to get the X7 Limited Edition connected to my computer.

However, I still have the same issues, in Windows x7 x64 I can only control the X7 Sound through my speaker and not inside windows.

For example again,

I connect my Bose Cinemate 130 Via Optical to the X7 LE (Optical Out).

When I play music or anything dealing with sound (IE, Chrome, games, etc) I cannot control the volume on the speakrs. It seems the application takes over sound functionality. It does not matter if I am in:
Audio Mode in X7 Direct Mode or Direct Mode (SPDIF-IN)

Now oddly, if I connect to the X7 via my cell phone via blue tooth I can control the sound volume through the X7 App as well as the speakers themselves. 

There has to be a way to fix this.

I am curious on this device...

I have the X7 LE and am trying to optimize it.

My current setup is:

Computer USB ---> X7 LE---> Optical IN ---> TV Samsung JS9500 One Connect Box

X7 LE---> Optical Out ---> Bose Cinemate 130 Soundbar

Would this device make it more seamless? I can not for the life of me get the X7 to function right in windows. Sound is controlled through the apps vs the X7, meanwhile on bluetooth my phone can control it.

Is this deja vu or have I answered this question before?

Kinda dead in here. I have another noob question: Will my dap (Fiio x3ii) sound better thru the X7 via USB or coax?

I was under the impression most USB devices can't pass through high sampling rates. Or is this solely dependent upon the DAC?

Also, would the audio signal be degraded if amplified twice?

(I'm sure someone here will have fun with these questions. :smiley:)
Thanks!

It is entirely DAC dependent, there are DACs that can accept 32/384 sampling rates. Also, X7 does not have a coax input, connect it via USB (or coax to optical converter)

Most people here say that double amping hurts the signal quality, however some people disagree with that so, You know, try it out and see how it sounds.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #244 of 348
@yethal- thanks for the reply!

I'll test out USB and spdif tonight. My preference is to use USB, since my PS4 occupies the optical out.

I'll let everyone know if I hear a difference.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #245 of 348
Just going to add an impression here:

So, Stax, it's been awhile. How've you been?

Had the typical "Wha? Wow... Th-... The mids! They're full of stars!" kind of reaction I have every time I hear these after a hiatus.

But onto what's relevant to the X7 thread. Firstly, this is still the most convenient way for me to have these hooked up with access to my whole music library. Whee! But obviously it uses the SBX Speakers virtual surround processing (as Stax require speaker taps or specialized amps), so how does it fare for gaming? It's better than stereo, I find it interesting because using a speaker algorithm with headphones (no natural left/right channel bleed) it feels almost like stereo for frontal cues, but rear cues are distinct and IMO actually quite good. So maybe not the most natural, but still afforded a competitive advantage in Destiny PVP. I call it good, not amazing but good.

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #246 of 348
Just going to add an impression here:

So, Stax, it's been awhile. How've you been?

Had the typical "Wha? Wow... Th-... The mids! They're full of stars!" kind of reaction I have every time I hear these after a hiatus.

But onto what's relevant to the X7 thread. Firstly, this is still the most convenient way for me to have these hooked up with access to my whole music library. Whee! But obviously it uses the SBX Speakers virtual surround processing (as Stax require speaker taps or specialized amps), so how does it fare for gaming? It's better than stereo, I find it interesting because using a speaker algorithm with headphones (no natural left/right channel bleed) it feels almost like stereo for frontal cues, but rear cues are distinct and IMO actually quite good. So maybe not the most natural, but still afforded a competitive advantage in Destiny PVP. I call it good, not amazing but good.

Does that transformer have regular RCA input? and if yes, have You tried double amping it through headphone out to have headphone surround in these beauties?

Aug 10, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #247 of 348
Does that transformer have regular RCA input? and if yes, have You tried double amping it through headphone out to have headphone surround in these beauties?

One of the things that made the X7 particularly attractive to me (and I believe I mentioned it in the first X7 review) because it was the most convenient way to use my Stax for gaming, because the Stax require speaker taps (or specialized $$$$ amps that would replace the adaptor/transformer). If I was going to double-amp it and get headphone surround, I'd probably try to pick up a vintage analog stereo integrated receiver... But that's probably more trouble than it's worth :D

The Stax sound amazing with almost anything you throw at it ("Angel" by massive attack is really weirdly mastered, it depends on dynamic driver distortion and sounds really weird when there isn't any), but long term wearing comfort isn't there so I don't really consider them gaming 'cans. I would love to have a curious DIY'er do a driver transplant to a more comfortable headphone.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #248 of 348
This thread is kinda dead. Anyway, I'm enjoying mine hooked up to my PS4. I'm playing around with EQ settings, seeing what I like best. I like that the amp has more head room than my AKG K7XX needs. I'm thinking about getting a sweet pair of closed cans now to complement the AKGs.

Aug 31, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #249 of 348
This thread is kinda dead. Anyway, I'm enjoying mine hooked up to my PS4. I'm playing around with EQ settings, seeing what I like best. I like that the amp has more head room than my AKG K7XX needs. I'm thinking about getting a sweet pair of closed cans now to complement the AKGs.

There is a second thread. Discussion kinda moved over there
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756102/creative-sound-blaster-x7-detailed-review-impressions

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #250 of 348
Yeah, this is the impressions thread and that was a review, but people have been on the review thread asking for tech support, and then just sorta got in the habit of posting over there.

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #251 of 348
Hey Head-Fi Gang,

Sort of an Audio Noob here (although I try my best not to be).

I was hoping someone here could give me a hand with my X7. 

I used to have the Soundblaster ZXR hooked up via optical out to optical in on my Z906 and everything would always work perfectly. 

I decided to install the new Intel 750 PCIE SSD, so I needed to free up some room in my case so I decided on the X7.

Ever since switching to the X7, I have completely lost my ability to decode to my Logitech z906 system. however when I switch the TOSLINK to the optical out on my on-board sound to my Z906, the decode light comes on and everything works as it should. here is my setup.

PC--->USB to X7--->Optical Out on X7---->Optical in on Z906

I switch the settings to SPDIF out default on my PC, and make sure that all of the supported formats for Dolby and DTS are enabled. I leave the sound as 5.1 in the creative control panel.

normally with this setup (using on-board) the decode light shows up on my Z906 and I have perfect sound separation and Dolby Digital content works excellently. However with the X7 setup, the decode light does not trigger and I get stuck with "3D, 4.1 and 2.1" for settings on the front of the Z906. and when I do the sound test the speakers sound like they are all blended as if using virtual surround.

Is there a way I can make this work, where I can just get optical sound back?

And the more important question: is the optical sound superior to just using the analog inputs (left/right, rear and C/sub) because technically wouldn't the computer media player be decoding the Dolby/DTS content and pushing it through the DAC, technically giving me full proper Dolby/DTS?

what is the best sound quality wise, or is it entirely subjective? I've heard you don't get the pops and interference issues with Digital.

Thanks everyone, and hopefully this doesn't fall under TLDR lol

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #252 of 348
  Hey Head-Fi Gang,

Sort of an Audio Noob here (although I try my best not to be).

I was hoping someone here could give me a hand with my X7. 

I used to have the Soundblaster ZXR hooked up via optical out to optical in on my Z906 and everything would always work perfectly. 

I decided to install the new Intel 750 PCIE SSD, so I needed to free up some room in my case so I decided on the X7.

Ever since switching to the X7, I have completely lost my ability to decode to my Logitech z906 system. however when I switch the TOSLINK to the optical out on my on-board sound to my Z906, the decode light comes on and everything works as it should. here is my setup.

PC--->USB to X7--->Optical Out on X7---->Optical in on Z906

I switch the settings to SPDIF out default on my PC, and make sure that all of the supported formats for Dolby and DTS are enabled. I leave the sound as 5.1 in the creative control panel.

normally with this setup (using on-board) the decode light shows up on my Z906 and I have perfect sound separation and Dolby Digital content works excellently. However with the X7 setup, the decode light does not trigger and I get stuck with "3D, 4.1 and 2.1" for settings on the front of the Z906. and when I do the sound test the speakers sound like they are all blended as if using virtual surround.

Is there a way I can make this work, where I can just get optical sound back?

And the more important question: is the optical sound superior to just using the analog inputs (left/right, rear and C/sub) because technically wouldn't the computer media player be decoding the Dolby/DTS content and pushing it through the DAC, technically giving me full proper Dolby/DTS?

what is the best sound quality wise, or is it entirely subjective? I've heard you don't get the pops and interference issues with Digital.

Thanks everyone, and hopefully this doesn't fall under TLDR lol

X7 optical out port works as either USB>S/PDIF bridge (stereo) or as a S/PDIF passthrough so 5.1 optical receivers will not work if the source signal comes from USB. So just plug the 5.1 speakers directly to the X7 via analog outputs and set the PC to output 5.1 LPCM signal (LPCM > Dolby/DTS)

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #253 of 348
  X7 optical out port works as either USB>S/PDIF bridge (stereo) or as a S/PDIF passthrough so 5.1 optical receivers will not work if the source signal comes from USB. So just plug the 5.1 speakers directly to the X7 via analog outputs and set the PC to output 5.1 LPCM signal (LPCM > Dolby/DTS)

Alrighty, so I am technically still getting the Dolby then (as in it will still play the correct audio queues), its just being decoded by media software into analog vs straight digital to digital. How would I go about setting Windows to output LPCM?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #254 of 348

Alrighty, so I am technically still getting the Dolby then (as in it will still play the correct audio queues), its just being decoded by media software into analog vs straight digital to digital. How would I go about setting Windows to output LPCM?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.

Why would You need an actual Dolby Digital signal? Do you watch DVD movies on Your PC? If no, then You don't need Dolby Digital signal.

go to Sound Panel, click on the X7 > Cofigure and choose 5.1 instead of stereo.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #255 of 348
  Why would You need an actual Dolby Digital signal? Do you watch DVD movies on Your PC? If no, then You don't need Dolby Digital signal.

go to Sound Panel, click on the X7 > Cofigure and choose 5.1 instead of stereo.

I do watch movies, and play some games that take advantage of Dolby. I think that I am under the misconception that Dolby is a lot better than what it is. I have 5.1 working via analog connections  (Front/Rear C/Sub)  and it does seem to work with my movies and games anyway so I think I'll just drop worrying about digital. I just spent $500 on the X7 so I just wanted to ensure that I was getting the best possible experience out of it, and I thought that might be obtained by using optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back