Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Sep 18, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #256 of 348

I do watch movies, and play some games that take advantage of Dolby. I think that I am under the misconception that Dolby is a lot better than what it is. I have 5.1 working via analog connections  (Front/Rear C/Sub)  and it does seem to work with my movies and games anyway so I think I'll just drop worrying about digital. I just spent $500 on the X7 so I just wanted to ensure that I was getting the best possible experience out of it, and I thought that might be obtained by using optical.

Dolby signal is to be used only when using optical connection, and only if HDMI or USB is not available as it is inferior to LPCM signal carried over by HDMI and USB.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #257 of 348
Here's how I look at it: the optical output of the X7 (by default) basically bypasses all the DSP, DAC, and amp benefits of the X7 so you can use something else. At that point, the X7 or the optical from your motherboard would produce the same quality (except something in your setup isn't letting the X7's output send out an encoded Dolby signal?).

What I would do, if possible, is use the X7 for decoding and DAC duties, and connect your computer monitor speakers directly to the analogue outputs on the back of the X7. L/R Front, Center/Sub, L/R Rear. Then, if the content is already in Dolby (movie et al), the X7 will handle decoding that, or if you can get a more pure unprocessed multi-channel sound through USB (PCM or LPCM) then you'll have surround with even less distortion. The X7's DSP and DAC should be better than the one built into the Z906.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #258 of 348
Hi all,

Planning on picking up the x7 and the xm7 for desktop pc setup.

I hear the LE version with the stronger power brick is much better at driving the speakers. Can't find the LE version available where I am though.

If I were to add a stronger adaptor is the quality of the power source important, or can there be much difference?

This seems my best bet:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00C7NPVXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1VW59HCGXAZQC6ZVCX35&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296347&pf_rd_i=desktop

Thanks,
Eoin.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #259 of 348
  Hi all,

Planning on picking up the x7 and the xm7 for desktop pc setup.

I hear the LE version with the stronger power brick is much better at driving the speakers. Can't find the LE version available where I am though.

If I were to add a stronger adaptor is the quality of the power source important, or can there be much difference?

This seems my best bet:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00C7NPVXY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p201_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1VW59HCGXAZQC6ZVCX35&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=585296347&pf_rd_i=desktop

Thanks,
Eoin.

As long as it fits the specification, You should be fine.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #261 of 348
  As long as it fits the specification, You should be fine.

Thanks Yethal, I thought as much, but I'm pretty ignorant in this area so thought I better check.

Uh, that's frutstrating. I'd be all over this if I were in the US. Don't think I'd save much getting it sent to Switzerland post purchase.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #262 of 348

Uh, that's frutstrating. I'd be all over this if I were in the US. Don't think I'd save much getting it sent to Switzerland post purchase.

Yeah, sometimes they do international shipping but I guess they decided the size/weight/cost just wouldn't be worth it.  I'm fortunate to be able to say that I can only guess what costs you'd incur, but I don't doubt that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I can only assume (and hope) that if enough of these things get sold through various channels, eventually they'll start showing up on the secondary market at more reasonable prices.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #263 of 348
I can get the x7+xm7 for about US$650 equivalent here, compared to a potential $420 on the massdrop (including the bluetooth dongle), and I can't find the LE version anywhere.

Even the bundle direct from creative which claims to be on sale by EUR170 wouldn't work out better after customs etc.

http://en.europe.creative.com/p/bundled-offers/sound-blaster-x7-limited-edition-entertainment-bundle

These kind of these make me open to things like the TTIP, though I'm sure it will have many downsides.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #264 of 348
Actually, it seems you can get it shipped internationally, if you're not getting the speakers.  Looks like Switzerland shipping is an extra $38 USD over US shipping.  Not sure how that'd work out at customs on your end, or if the extra time would be worth it - you probably wouldn't see it until late November.

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #265 of 348
Cheers kennyj.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to import speakers from wherever creative makes theirs.

I can get the Wharfedale 220 for ~US$150, which seems like a steal given their reviews.

Wondering if they would pair well with the x7, I come across the what-hifi review of the x7: http://www.whathifi.com/creative/sound-blaster-x7/review

edit: guess this is also relevant: http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

They are unimpressed with the x7 paired with the 220s.

What is your opinion of this review? Are they likely to be right about this pairing? Does the x7 need the xm7?

Thanks!
Eoin.

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #266 of 348
Honestly, I don't know.  Some of the X7 reviews were more favorable.  It's important to remember just how subjective this stuff is.

I doubt that you actually need the E-MU XM7 speakers in particular to have decent output, though I have no idea what to suggest as an alternative.  Speaking of which, I wouldn't be surprised if the XM7 speakers are a rebadge of something else - Creative has been known to do that here and there.  But I'm sure there's something else out there with a similar profile.

Personally, I'm only getting them because they're relatively cheap in this deal; I'm planning on using headphones 90%+ of the time.  If they weren't offered, I'd probably just hook up a used pair of whatever bookshelf speakers I could find.  IMO, you really have to consider when and why you'll use the speakers.  Personally, my only real need is occasionally sharing something I'm watching/listening to with my wife for a moment.  Any real need for serious speaker output can be accommodated by a full-scale entertainment system in the same living room, which the X7/XM7 combo simply can't be compared to.  For me, the XM7 option just needs to be more convenient than switching to the AV receiver, and anything the X7's amp can drive will fit that role in a pinch.

Obviously, if your computer is in a bedroom or office and there isn't an existing speaker system to compete with, you'll have a different dynamic than I will.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #268 of 348
Cheers kennyj.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to import speakers from wherever creative makes theirs.

I can get the Wharfedale 220 for ~US$150, which seems like a steal given their reviews.

Wondering if they would pair well with the x7, I come across the what-hifi review of the x7: http://www.whathifi.com/creative/sound-blaster-x7/review

edit: guess this is also relevant: http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

They are unimpressed with the x7 paired with the 220s.

What is your opinion of this review? Are they likely to be right about this pairing? Does the x7 need the xm7?

Thanks!
Eoin.

Whathifi's review was quite critical of the X7. I don't think they appreciated what a niche product it is, especially compared to a $400 av receiver.

For what it does, it's quite competant and a fair value, if not a great value.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #269 of 348
Whathifi's review was quite critical of the X7. I don't think they appreciated what a niche product it is, especially compared to a $400 av receiver.

For what it does, it's quite competant and a fair value, if not a great value.

The X7 is great as a DAC and DSP (as well as being a rather functional all-in-one.) Its headphone amplifier, however, sucks. Big time.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #270 of 348
Cheers.

Yeah I would like the speakers, I will be using the jack of all trades nature of the x7

Honestly, I think it will depend on how sensitive the speakers are.

I've had a pair of Polk M40 bookshelf speakers for years, and I was satisfied with those when I connected them to the X7. More recently I picked up a pair of Chane bookshelf speakers, and they very obviously need more power than the X7 can handle. In a bit more of a rare use-case scenario, I have some vintage Stax earspeakers which are basically on-ear headphones you have to hook up to speaker amp taps... Okay, so maybe the X7 isn't a BHSE, but nothing else is nearly as convenient for setting up on my "office" desk, and the Stax still sound really reference-special.

I haven't heard Creative's XM7, but basically they were designed to suit the power specs of the X7. Most any other speaker with similar ohms and sensitivity would probably also perform well with the X7. Something like my Chanes which require more power will roll off the bass impact early and have a lackluster dull and hollow sound. I tried to say this in my review: the X7 is ideal in dorms, apartments, and other small environments where the X7's form factor is a big benefit, and you have the option to easily access it for use with headphones.

Regarding the headphone amp... Sure, other amps can outperform the X7, but the X7 is an upgrade over most of the entry-level priced stuff AND supports surround processing. Compared to something like a Schiit M&M stack, I hear an improvement in the DAC of the X7, maybe the Magni amp is a small upgrade but a bit bright for my tastes, could be better with the Uber versions but then you basically are spending closer to the prices I've seen on Massdrop for the X7 for vanilla devices without the features offered by the X7. If you're a gamer with a mid-fi headphone, like me, you won't need a headphone amp like the Mixamp or Recon3D needed extra amplification connected to the headphone jack, compared to those the X7 has a great amp. Just maybe not "endgame."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back