Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Apr 4, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #287 of 348
Thanks Yethal. I actually found the Orr thread and searched for PS4 and saw this. Is that the best option or is there a non branded cheaper dongle?

There is the 10$ chinese one on ebay however @lenroot77 bought it and reported some issues. Ask him for more details.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #289 of 348
I have the official one and it works flawlessly. Aside from the fact that it cost me 40 euro I can't say a bad word about it. However it's still 40 euro for a bluetooth transmitter.

May 25, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #291 of 348
I was wondering, how do you select whether the X7 plays via headphones or speakers? And does it connect to computer via usb? Also how do you switch between inputs like pc, phone, bluetooth etc?

Thanks in advance!

Either plug/unplug the headphones or use the Control Panel. I can be plugged in via usb to pc. All inputs play at the same time. You can adjust the balance via the control panel.

May 25, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #292 of 348
Either plug/unplug the headphones or use the Control Panel. I can be plugged in via usb to pc. All inputs play at the same time. You can adjust the balance via the control panel.

Okay so say my ps4 was connected and so was my phone but I only wanted my phone to play I'd have to boot up the pc to change it? Unlikely but curious how it works haha very tempted by this as there's not many other products out there that fits the bill (NAD D 3020 being the only other option). I liked how it had a manual input selection.

Is it a lot better than using the headphones to the controller 3.5mm jack as well? I'm considering buying a pair of Hyper X Cloud 2's along with this so get my audio set up completed. 

May 25, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #293 of 348
Okay so say my ps4 was connected and so was my phone but I only wanted my phone to play I'd have to boot up the pc to change it? Unlikely but curious how it works haha very tempted by this as there's not many other products out there that fits the bill (NAD D 3020 being the only other option). I liked how it had a manual input selection.

Is it a lot better than using the headphones to the controller 3.5mm jack as well? I'm considering buying a pair of Hyper X Cloud 2's along with this so get my audio set up completed. 

There is an Android/iOS version of the panel so it can be controlled via the phone. Frankly, the X7 is a massive overkill for the Cloud headset. Really there is no reason to buy the X7 if You're only going to use it with the HyperX.

May 25, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #294 of 348
There is an Android/iOS version of the panel so it can be controlled via the phone. Frankly, the X7 is a massive overkill for the Cloud headset. Really there is no reason to buy the X7 if You're only going to use it with the HyperX.

I need something that has input from pc and ps4 and I like the addition phone and analogue inputs available. I also want headphone and speaker amplifier/outputs, unfortunately there's not much out there that fits the criteria :frowning2: I don't have space for a big av receiver or the likes. I found the X7 from around $260 as well which seems okay, the other option is to use the X-Fi HD ($65) with a small amp I already have though it is a little limiting and not as tidy solution.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #296 of 348

Have you tried connecting earbuds or anything to the controller's 3.5mm jack? The X7 will prove to be a very noticeable improvement with any headphone compared to the controller's output :D

You don't have to boot your PC to change inputs... You mention you have a phone to connect to the USB Host, so that means you have a smartphone. Download the X7 control panel app for that, and go to the Mixer settings panel. Or, you could simply turn the PS4 off :D

If your phone is connected to the X7 with Bluetooth and you receive a phone call, the X7 will automatically mute other sounds and let the call take over. That takes care of the only practical situation I can think of where you'd have your phone and PS4 connected and on at the same time but only want to hear phone audio!

when will it have a big sale in 2016

Your guess is as good as mine, bub! You could try requesting another drop on Massdrop, because those had the lowest price, but I've heard that Massdrop has increased their sales commission fee up from 10% up to 25%... So there's a lot less incentive for vendors/manufacturers to put up a big sale price because their margins are slimmer on there already.

Creative sometimes does their own sales on the site though. They have lately always had a great bundle price on the X7 + E-MU speakers combo, and sometimes the base unit gets a sale price for holidays.

Edit: looks like the US store has the X7 for $50 off right now, and the X7 LE for $100 off. Geddit boiiii!

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #297 of 348
Have you tried connecting earbuds or anything to the controller's 3.5mm jack? The X7 will prove to be a very noticeable improvement with any headphone compared to the controller's output
biggrin.gif

You don't have to boot your PC to change inputs... You mention you have a phone to connect to the USB Host, so that means you have a smartphone. Download the X7 control panel app for that, and go to the Mixer settings panel. Or, you could simply turn the PS4 off
biggrin.gif

If your phone is connected to the X7 with Bluetooth and you receive a phone call, the X7 will automatically mute other sounds and let the call take over. That takes care of the only practical situation I can think of where you'd have your phone and PS4 connected and on at the same time but only want to hear phone audio!

Edit: looks like the US store has the X7 for $50 off right now, and the X7 LE for $100 off. Geddit boiiii!

Yeah I've always used the headphone port on the controller as it's easy! I'll definitely try it out tonight and compare it to the X7, Yethal mentioned the X7 was overkill for my headphones (Hyperx Cloud 2's) though there's not really much competition out there for the X7.

Yeah I got the app for my phone as well but only tried playing music, seemed fine though cut out a little bit. My phones not exactly the bees knees though so it could be entirely my phone being the problem haha

With the discounts are they always "reduced" a little bit now? 

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #298 of 348
The HyperX Cloud 2 is not a USB headset, right? If it is a normal, analog, 3.5mm single-ended plug connection, then the X7 certainly won't hold it back! I think it's fine to use an entry-fi headphone with a mid-fi component like the X7... I still think you'll hear an improvement vs the controller, and you'll be ready if you get a different headphone later on.

My iPhone cuts out if I get too far away, but... It's an iPhone, and if I'm nearby the Bluetooth connection stays pretty solid. You can reduce the volume for the optical input, or most games also have settings for audio and you can reduce the volume there as well. Sometimes I like reducing game volume because that leaves chat volume the same. So, I can turn up the X7's volume till I can hear my friend's talking well, and then go to the game settings and turn the game down to comfortable levels.

I don't know about the discount being permanent... It could be a school graduate and Father's Day promotion thing.

Jun 8, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #299 of 348
The HyperX Cloud 2 is not a USB headset, right? If it is a normal, analog, 3.5mm single-ended plug connection, then the X7 certainly won't hold it back! I think it's fine to use an entry-fi headphone with a mid-fi component like the X7... I still think you'll hear an improvement vs the controller, and you'll be ready if you get a different headphone later on.

My iPhone cuts out if I get too far away, but... It's an iPhone, and if I'm nearby the Bluetooth connection stays pretty solid. You can reduce the volume for the optical input, or most games also have settings for audio and you can reduce the volume there as well. Sometimes I like reducing game volume because that leaves chat volume the same. So, I can turn up the X7's volume till I can hear my friend's talking well, and then go to the game settings and turn the game down to comfortable levels.

I don't know about the discount being permanent... It could be a school graduate and Father's Day promotion thing.

It comes with a little USB headphone DAC that has volume control on it but it's a standard 3.5mm headset that just plugs into that box so you can use it for anything :) yeah I may look in the future to get a decent pair of open backs though not anytime soon :p 

Haha iphones are the best :D if it doesn't work with iphone android have no hope lol

Jun 19, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #300 of 348
I am looking for a audio low-latency way for PC-Gaming. I am using a headphone(AKG 701) and a microphone(3,5mm). But i wan´t to buy a second Headphone for hearing music, soon.

I read over here about 2 "audio-ways". Does anyone know them an can post them here in short? (i don´t mean the Yulon DA8 or anything more then 700€). I wan´t to compare them to the x7le. The X7 has a microphone-input. I don´t know if it´s good for latency, using it. Or better using the onboardsoundcart for microphone & the x7le for audio-output(Headphone): 2 DAC in action vs. 1 DAC in action with one USB 2.0-interface.

something like this.. (maybe uncomplete)
V1: PC - http://schiit.com/products/bifrost - chichcable - http://schiit.com/products/valhalla-2 - 6,5mm jack - Headphone ┌->3,5mm microphone on onbardsoundcart
V2: PC - USB-cable(2.0) - http://www.headsound.de/JDS-Labs-O2ODAC - 3,5mm/6,5mm jack - Headphone ┌->3,5mm microphone on onbardsoundcart
V3: PC - USB-cable(2.0) - http://en.europe.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x7-limited-edition - 3,5mm/6,5mm -Headphone ┌->3,5mm microphone

Which system will have the best latency?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back