Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Jun 4, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #196 of 348
  Had the chance to listen to the Creative X7/X7 LE and the EMU XM7 and here's my mini-impressions. Location was IT show, so it's definately not ideal listening conditions.

First off, EMU XM7 runs significantly better on X7 LE over standard X7. There's more meat on the bone(better dynamics, punch, slam, sharper transients) with LE. As Audiophile/Head-fier, I highly recommend taking the white LE version over the standard black version if you intend to pair with EMU XM7.

The difference lies in beefier power adapter on the LE. It can be bought separately as an upgrade to the standard X7.

Jun 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #197 of 348

Had the chance to listen to the Creative X7/X7 LE and the EMU XM7 and here's my mini-impressions. Location was IT show, so it's definately not ideal listening conditions.

First off, EMU XM7 runs significantly better on X7 LE over standard X7. There's more meat on the bone(better dynamics, punch, slam, sharper transients) with LE. As Audiophile/Head-fier, I highly recommend taking the white LE version over the standard black version if you intend to pair with EMU XM7.

The difference lies in beefier power adapter on the LE. It can be bought separately as an upgrade to the standard X7.

Save the environment by just buying the LE straight up vs getting the standard X7 and upgrading the power adapter later. The power difference is very obvious right up.

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #198 of 348
Was anyone here lucky enough to get the chance to listen to the X7, the NFB-11, and/or the NFB-15? If you were, which was your favorite? And do you think the SBX virtual surround sfx is fatiguing after a few hours of gaming?

I'm looking for a nice amp/dac combo that will serve my K7xx/Fidelio X2 well and those three above are the only ones that meet my needs. Even if you didn't get to hear all the units, I'd love to hear your input regarding any one of them. I'm only aware that the NFB-11 has a more accurate and detailed sound while the NFB-15 has a warmer, livelier signature. It'll be interesting to see how these two stack up against the X7.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #199 of 348
  Was anyone here lucky enough to get the chance to listen to the X7, the NFB-11, and/or the NFB-15? If you were, which was your favorite? And do you think the SBX virtual surround sfx is fatiguing after a few hours of gaming?

I'm looking for a nice amp/dac combo that will serve my K7xx/Fidelio X2 well and those three above are the only ones that meet my needs. Even if you didn't get to hear all the units, I'd love to hear your input regarding any one of them. I'm only aware that the NFB-11 has a more accurate and detailed sound while the NFB-15 has a warmer, livelier signature. It'll be interesting to see how these two stack up against the X7.

NFB products do not have virtual surround built in, You'd have to buy a separate soundcard and feed the binaural S/PDIF signal to the NFB via coaxial/optical

Jun 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #200 of 348
  NFB products do not have virtual surround built in, You'd have to buy a separate soundcard and feed the binaural S/PDIF signal to the NFB via coaxial/optical

Yeah I'm aware of the NFB's lack of a virtual surround feature. I'm more concerned with the sound quality between the X7 with all effects off and the NFB-11/15.

Is there a reason why you decided to use the X7 in concurrence with the Schiit stack for listening to music?

Jun 5, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #201 of 348
  Yeah I'm aware of the NFB's lack of a virtual surround feature. I'm more concerned with the sound quality between the X7 with all effects off and the NFB-11/15.

Is there a reason why you decided to use the X7 in concurrence with the Schiit stack for listening to music?

I can't speak on behalf of the NFB products, but while the X7 is a complete gaming package, the NFB products will require an additional soundcard to process virtual surround.

I noticed a big difference in sound signature between the X7 amp and the Magni, I can't say that one is clearly better than the other but Magni has a warmer tone to it which makes clean guitars more enjoyable for me.
Since the X7 does not have the option to separate line output from speaker output, I'd have to either unplug the speakers if I wanted to listen to the Magni connected to the line output of the X7, or plug the Magni to the headphone out which would increase the cable clutter (my current setup is rather tidy with most of the cables hidden) so I chose a third option and plugged the Modi into the optical out of the X7. But once somebody buys the stack from me I'll live happily with just the X7.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #202 of 348
Will the X7 work with ubuntu? There's no control panel software for linux...does that mean no?

I have tested the Sound Blaster X7 with my computer running Linux Mint 15.

But I only have got 2.1 channel speakers so I only test stereo playback with the Sound Blaster X7.

This is my blog post with the video on using the Sound Blaster X7 with Linux Mint 15.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #203 of 348

I have tested the Sound Blaster X7 with my computer running Linux Mint 15.

But I only have got 2.1 channel speakers so I only test stereo playback with the Sound Blaster X7.

This is my blog post with the video on using the Sound Blaster X7 with Linux Mint 15.

That's weird, my Qubes 3.0 recognizes all 5.1 channels. Try using Pulse Audio on top of Alsa.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #204 of 348

If you use the razer surround software which is free, you don't have to buy a sound card. Some motherboards support X-FI MB3 software which has SBX surround which you can use.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #205 of 348

If you use the razer surround software which is free, you don't have to buy a sound card. Some motherboards support X-FI MB3 software which has SBX surround which you can use.

The only problem with Razer Surround (apart from latency) is the fact that it's really really bad.

Jun 24, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #206 of 348
  The only problem with Razer Surround (apart from latency) is the fact that it's really really bad.

Depends on who using it i seen people hate it and i seen people like it so its in the eye of the holder. When I did use it it was alright for the time. I have had some minor issues with the software it self, But I found it to be ok for it purpose. I knew it wasn't going to be  perfect or good like SBX surround or Dolby headphone, i knew that going in. It was free so I used it for the time being.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #207 of 348
How is the X7 for pc do you still pick up pc hiss and static or no also the built in mic does it interfear with headphones like the blue yeti microphone does as u can hear ur mic in real time cuz that is a feature i do not want.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #208 of 348
  How is the X7 for pc do you still pick up pc hiss and static or no also the built in mic does it interfear with headphones like the blue yeti microphone does as u can hear ur mic in real time cuz that is a feature i do not want.

To me there is no audible pc noise through the X7. In general I find it has suprisingly good audio quality for music listening. Provided you turn off SBX and EQ settings and check the "direct mode" check box in the software. 

Cannot speak for the microphone, as i do not use that part.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #209 of 348
Vamdolly,
The feature you're talking about is mic monitoring, you can turn that off in settings. You can use the Yeti instead of the X7's mic (by choosing it as the default communications device in Windows settings).

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #210 of 348
Thanks for both the replays, yes and mic monitoring is what i was talking of because i know you cant turn it off in the yeti looking in to some dac amps before i make up my mind though since the x7 has some great features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back