Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Apr 19, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #181 of 348
There is an update for the Creative X7 Control Panel

http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13394

Apr 19, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #183 of 348
  I will give that a shot. Thanks

I first uninstalled both audio drivers. Then downloaded the newest software and installed it. I still have the original problem. So, then I decided to reboot to see if that would help and the two drivers I uninstalled automatically re-installed themselves at reboot.

The X7 program is loaded on my computer but I get the same error message: "Sound Blaster X7 cannot be detected. Ensure the device is connected to the computer, and it is powered on."

It is indeed connected to the computer but the X7 program will not open. Anybody ever have this problem?

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #184 of 348

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a hardware issue? But I can listen to music and my computer recognizes the X7 when I turn it on and the box itself works as I am listening to music through it now.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #185 of 348

I first uninstalled both audio drivers. Then downloaded the newest software and installed it. I still have the original problem. So, then I decided to reboot to see if that would help and the two drivers I uninstalled automatically re-installed themselves at reboot.

The X7 program is loaded on my computer but I get the same error message: "Sound Blaster X7 cannot be detected. Ensure the device is connected to the computer, and it is powered on."

It is indeed connected to the computer but the X7 program will not open. Anybody ever have this problem?

I get the same message whenever I wake my computer from sleep (with X7 turned off). I think it's normal. Turn the X7 on, click OK in the message box then wait for the Panel to recognize the X7 again. These drivers are pretty ****ty.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #186 of 348
Hi All,

I finally found out that my antivirus, NOD32, was blocking the install. So, I uninstalled NOD32, then successfully installed the X7 software, and then reinstalled NOD32. Was a journey, but I was persistent as the reviewer of the X7 urged.

I am really enjoying the X7 now.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #187 of 348
Hey, does anyone have any EQ settings they like for the X7 paired with the AKG K7XX (or any of the K7** series cans)? I usually just choose the music profile, turn off crystallizer, and bump the bass a tad. I'm aware many people don't like to EQ...

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #188 of 348
I don't, unfortunately, but I do own the K7xx and note that these 'phones have a +3db in the bass region by design, compared to the K701 or the like, so I wouldn't think eq settings are interchangeable.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #189 of 348
  I don't, unfortunately, but I do own the K7xx and note that these 'phones have a +3db in the bass region by design, compared to the K701 or the like, so I wouldn't think eq settings are interchangeable.

I just set mine up to sound the way I'd like it to sound. Then you can change it or "bump" it when needed on recordings that may need a little help. As noted above, EQ settings really aren't interchangeable. good luck

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #190 of 348
Hello. I just got the astro a50 xbox one edition for 219 or so from the Microsoft store. 

Then I ordered the x7 from overstock for 359 dollars. It was supposed to be the limited edition but turned out to be the black one.

My question is should I return one of these two purchases?

My aim is high accuracy positional sound in FPS. 

The headphone I would pair with the x70 is Phillips x1 or Sennh hd 650.

Would the scout mode match/beat the Astro Dolby surround?

Could I use the devices together? Synergy?

Thanks in advance. And have a blessed day. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #191 of 348
  Hi All,

I finally found out that my antivirus, NOD32, was blocking the install. So, I uninstalled NOD32, then successfully installed the X7 software, and then reinstalled NOD32. Was a journey, but I was persistent as the reviewer of the X7 urged.

I am really enjoying the X7 now.

wink_face.gif

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #192 of 348
  Hello. I just got the astro a50 xbox one edition for 219 or so from the Microsoft store. 

Then I ordered the x7 from overstock for 359 dollars. It was supposed to be the limited edition but turned out to be the black one.

My question is should I return one of these two purchases?

My aim is high accuracy positional sound in FPS. 

The headphone I would pair with the x70 is Phillips x1 or Sennh hd 650.

Would the scout mode match/beat the Astro Dolby surround?

Could I use the devices together? Synergy?

Thanks in advance. And have a blessed day. 

Get rid of the A50, go for the X1/X2, not the HD650

Not Scout Mode but SBX and that is very subjective

Both devices have passthrough mode so yes You could

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #193 of 348
FYI for those in Singapore, there is a PC Show in Singapore starting today with some Creative deals:

http://pcshow.creative.com/?utm_source=eDialog&utm_medium=Mailer&utm_campaign=Mailer_sg_040615

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52cb7439e4b09298835e3545/t/5567f637e4b0f08b0b28e631/1432876599046/Creative+PC+Show+2015+Brochure.pdf

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #194 of 348
If you want high positional accuracy with headphones, try HD800. Also you can try Razor Headphones with their fancy 7.1 Surround software(which the software also works with speakers or other headphones). You can download a free trial of the software at the razor website to tryout.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #195 of 348
Had the chance to listen to the Creative X7/X7 LE and the EMU XM7 and here's my mini-impressions. Location was IT show, so it's definately not ideal listening conditions.

First off, EMU XM7 runs significantly better on X7 LE over standard X7. There's more meat on the bone(better dynamics, punch, slam, sharper transients) with LE. As Audiophile/Head-fier, I highly recommend taking the white LE version over the standard black version if you intend to pair with EMU XM7.

As for the dac portion, the sound signature is more geared towards general music. It's very on par with IFI idsd that I have heard. It's a very good dac for watching movies, playing games and etc. Not as detailed as ESS Sabre, but is musical sounding. As I come from the R2R camp, there's a very small hint of sigma-delta harsh sound in the treble & vocals, but it's not something to be to nickpicking about given the price and the wide functionality of the X7/LE. Creative has certainly outdone themselves this time round especially on the software/driver side of things. Op-amp rolling is certainly something worth playing with.

As for the XM7. It's a very nice pair of bedroom speakers for background non-critical music playback or causal tv/gaming/youtube usage. They are not on the same level as self powered studio monitors from Yamaha HS series when it comes to clarity. But it's a gentlemen kind of speakers. Not excessively bassy, nor excessively warm, nor excessively bright. There's certainly some missing octaves in the mid and bass regions of the sound. Could use more bass slam, but given the 5 inch woofer design, the loudness handling is remarkable. It doesn't seem to distort even when driven loudly. Did I say it's very well made and designed given the price? Wife Acceptable Factor is very high on this pair of relatively cheap and value for money speakers.

Is this dac worth a buy? Certainly! Buy it now if you are looking for all in one solution that is space saving and energy efficient. A great dac/device for anyone who is interested in getting into entry level good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back