Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Mar 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #152 of 348
  I still have no idea how to enable playback through ASIO for this. I got some luck with ASIO4All but X7 is supposed to have their own driver. Unless USB Direct is asio playback.

[EDIT] I got Foobar to recognize the driver but it refuses to play any files when ASIO is selected. Not sure why's the case.

Yup, I couldn't get the Creative ASIO to work with foobar as well. But ASIO is only for latency sensitive application. For music playing, WASAPI is the better choice.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #153 of 348
Sooooo... windows is currently set for 5.1 and my X7 is outputting to headphones.

It was set in stereo from the last time I messed with it. I changed the configuration to 5.1 and played a test tone from Right-Front and for a moment it played correctly through my headphones, but near the end of the audio clip the Sound Blaster X7 Control Panel set the output to speakers. I remembered what Paco said, so in the X7 Control Center I turned off SBX and set the X7 to output to Speakers, changed Windows configure to stereo, turned SBX on, changed Windows configure to 5.1, set the X7 to headphone output... Voila, now it's outputting surround through headphones correctly. it's weird. To anyone having issue with the X7 automatically switching to speaker outs, mess around with SBX and windows sound configurations for a bit.
hi,

Did i need to do this with PS4, or is just for windows gaming?

Mar 12, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #154 of 348

Sooooo... windows is currently set for 5.1 and my X7 is outputting to headphones.

It was set in stereo from the last time I messed with it. I changed the configuration to 5.1 and played a test tone from Right-Front and for a moment it played correctly through my headphones, but near the end of the audio clip the Sound Blaster X7 Control Panel set the output to speakers. I remembered what Paco said, so in the X7 Control Center I turned off SBX and set the X7 to output to Speakers, changed Windows configure to stereo, turned SBX on, changed Windows configure to 5.1, set the X7 to headphone output... Voila, now it's outputting surround through headphones correctly. it's weird. To anyone having issue with the X7 automatically switching to speaker outs, mess around with SBX and windows sound configurations for a bit.

hi,

Doubt it, when Priority is set on PS4 to bitstream )Dolby) the console is constantly outputting 5.1

@Evshrug - I noticed that the X7 switches back to stereo when sampling rate is set above 96khz. When I set it on 192khz it switched from 5.1 to stereo and refused to switch back, until i toned down sampling rate from 192 to 96.

Mar 12, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #155 of 348
  Doubt it, when Priority is set on PS4 to bitstream )Dolby) the console is constantly outputting 5.1

@Evshrug - I noticed that the X7 switches back to stereo when sampling rate is set above 96khz. When I set it on 192khz it switched from 5.1 to stereo and refused to switch back, until i toned down sampling rate from 192 to 96.

You have now reached the reason why people prefer DTS (most of the time) over Dolby.

Dolby can only send two channels (and this is an optical limitation as well I believe, which is why USB is usually said to be "better") at 192khz due to bandwidth limitations through an optical cable.

Mar 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #156 of 348

Nooooope, PS4 is easy peasy, just plug and play (literally). Well, you do have to go to sound settings in the PS4 and tell it to bitstream Dolby, but that's it.

@Evshrug
 - I noticed that the X7 switches back to stereo when sampling rate is set above 96khz. When I set it on 192khz it switched from 5.1 to stereo and refused to switch back, until i toned down sampling rate from 192 to 96.

Hmmm! interesting!

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #157 of 348
Well, that's interesting. The X7 disconnects from my PS3 as soon as I leave the accessories menu.

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #158 of 348
Just some random things (that I'm also going to post in the MLE thread.)

1) Due to bandwidth limitations, the X7 ONLY accepts surround sound IF it is at or below 96kbs. This limitation also extends to optical, which can't carry a 5.1 signal above 96 kbs anyway.

2) The amp can power my ZMF Vibros perfectly. It sends ~800mw at 50 ohms, so I'm not surprised.

That's about all I got.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #159 of 348
  Just some random things (that I'm also going to post in the MLE thread.)

1) Due to bandwidth limitations, the X7 ONLY accepts surround sound IF it is at or below 96kbs. This limitation also extends to optical, which can't carry a 5.1 signal above 96 kbs anyway.

2) The amp can power my ZMF Vibros perfectly. It sends ~800mw at 50 ohms, so I'm not surprised.

That's about all I got.

Were you on low or high gain, Paco? Also, still looking forward to the Blackwood/Vibro impressions. :D

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #160 of 348
Were you on low or high gain, Paco? Also, still looking forward to the Blackwood/Vibro impressions. :D

I have it on high gain, which doesn't take much to make it loud as hell (I think I had it at like 12 on windows) so I imagine low would do fine.

I'm doing the Vibro review on Monday.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #161 of 348
Opa 827 just arrived. Placebo or not they do seem to give more body to the HD700. Jambi (Tool) now sounds as good as I remembered. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #162 of 348
  Opa 827 just arrived. Placebo or not they do seem to give more body to the HD700. Jambi (Tool) now sounds as good as I remembered. 

Which ones did you buy and where did you buy them? This might have been covered earlier but I can't seem to find the post.

Mar 20, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #163 of 348
Mar 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #165 of 348
  Can I connect a PS4 to the soundblaster while a PC is connected and output both the PC and PS4s audio?

Yup, as long as it's in DSP mode and not in Direct mode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back