Sound Blaster X7 - Impressions? Thoughts?
Feb 24, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #136 of 348
The two reviews of these by @evshrug and @earfonia are top-notch! Thanks, guys!

Anyway, having an issue w/ this plugged in via USB on my HTC One M8: the sound is coming in with static. This happens whether playing via Rocket Player or Spotify.

This does not happen via bluetooth or when playing Xbox 360.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hmm, my iPad and iPhone played cleanly over USB with their standard charging cables. Have you tried other cables, preferably ones with ferrite chokes like the USB cable that came with the X7 (and can be found on Monoprice.com)?

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #137 of 348

Yes, it can be used standalone without PC.
But if previously connected to PC, and you select Direct Mode, Line Input will not work, as the X7 will stay on Direct Mode when power is connected.
Simple fix is to unplug the power, and plug it back. It will goes back to default connection which is the DSP playback mode, and line input will work.
It is explained in my review on the 'Control Panel' section.

Thanks. I had a lot more questions but this GREAT review of yours made it all clear and more. Superb!

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #138 of 348

Thanks. I had a lot more questions but this GREAT review of yours made it all clear and more. Superb!

You're welcome!
beerchug.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #139 of 348
Hmm, my iPad and iPhone played cleanly over USB with their standard charging cables. Have you tried other cables, preferably ones with ferrite chokes like the USB cable that came with the X7 (and can be found on Monoprice.com)? [/

Great thinking, @evshrug!

I actually ordered a new 10ft cable on Amazon before I saw this (prime member).

If that doesn't work, I will order one from Monoprice as you've suggested.

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #140 of 348

Hmm, my iPad and iPhone played cleanly over USB with their standard charging cables. Have you tried other cables, preferably ones with ferrite chokes like the USB cable that came with the X7 (and can be found on Monoprice.com)? [/

Great thinking, @evshrug!

I actually ordered a new 10ft cable on Amazon before I saw this (prime member).

If that doesn't work, I will order one from Monoprice as you've suggested.

Thanks!

Well, two questions. Is the gentleman who is playing his music using the host port? And why do you have it plugged into the back instead of the host part?

Sorry, that was bugging me and I had to ask.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #141 of 348
Well, two questions. Is the gentleman who is playing his music using the host port? And why do you have it plugged into the back instead of the host part?

[/quote]

Hi, PacoTaco-

New to some of this terminology. I am connected using the micro USB cable provided (micro USB on Android to the USB on side of device).

This seems to be set up identically to how @earfonia was connecting in his review.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #142 of 348

Host port is useful for compatibility purpose with Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad). Since natively Android KitKat doesn't support USB audio device, instead of the Android OS that is hosting the SB X7, SB X7 becomes the host, hosting it's application (Sound Blaster Services) that is installed in Android. This is to make sure 100% compatibility with all Android phones (newer android).

Windows and Mac user should connect using the USB port at the back, micro B usb port, since Windows and Mac OS support USB audio devices.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #143 of 348

Host port is useful for compatibility purpose with Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad). Since natively Android KitKat doesn't support USB audio device, instead of the Android OS that is hosting the SB X7, SB X7 becomes the host, hosting it's application (Sound Blaster Services) that is installed in Android. This is to make sure 100% compatibility with all Android phones (newer android).

Windows and Mac user should connect using the USB port at the back, micro B usb port, since Windows and Mac OS support USB audio devices.

I know, I was asking him why he wasn't using the host port with his phone is all.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #146 of 348
To use SBX processing in games I need to disable direct-audio right?
It's weird it doesn't get disabled by default.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #147 of 348
Yes, direct mode bypasses the DSProcessor, but it's a manual bypass setting so the x7 can't automatically tell when you don't want it anymore. However, if you have a music player like Foobar which supports ASIO playback, then the processing will be bypassed when you use that player. Friend of mine does that with his Omni

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #148 of 348
Just a heads up that I've also found Direct Mode needs to be disabled to use a mic plugged into the device. For some reason on my X7 the Direct Mode disables my modmic that is plugged into the mic-in jack on the front of the device. It won't show up as disabled in the Windows Audio panel, but it won't output any sound without unchecking Direct Mode.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #149 of 348
  Just a heads up that I've also found Direct Mode needs to be disabled to use a mic plugged into the device. For some reason on my X7 the Direct Mode disables my modmic that is plugged into the mic-in jack on the front of the device. It won't show up as disabled in the Windows Audio panel, but it won't output any sound without unchecking Direct Mode.

That's right. I explained how it works here.

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #150 of 348
I still have no idea how to enable playback through ASIO for this. I got some luck with ASIO4All but X7 is supposed to have their own driver. Unless USB Direct is asio playback.

[EDIT] I got Foobar to recognize the driver but it refuses to play any files when ASIO is selected. Not sure why's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back