Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #8,116 of 9,173
So I have my pair of Z7 for about a 3 weeks now and I have to say they are a big step up from the MDR-1A but still with a close sound signature. I have one small problem with them, if I press the most top point of the outter left cup against my head I can sometimes hear a rattle when playing low frequencys. Does someone know how to fix that ? I never got it to happen without the left pad so Its probably something like a hear pushing against the driver but everything seems clean.

I agree about the MDR-1 series, I had the MDR-1R (early MDR-1A) now I have the Z7's, and I have an identical issue. It's with the left cup, and only at weird low frequencies (Like Deadmau5 type bass).. It's always barely noticeable, I can't figure it out.. I'm rather hesitant to take these apart like I did the MDR-1R's.. If and when I do I'll have to buy a soldering iron and upgrade the cables, but I really don't want to screw anything up.. With my luck I'll put it back together and there will be 2 new rattles lol..

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #8,117 of 9,173
I am se a Sony walkman WM1A and the z7. I am happy with the synergy between them, pretty smooth

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #8,119 of 9,173
Got some z7's yesterday... The guy that sold them to me either didn't notice or didn't disclose that there is a spot on the left driver where a 3.5mm jack *presumably* pushed on the driver... How big of an issue is this? Any easy hacks to get it to pop back out? I can't hear anything weird, but I'm guessing a spot like this is terrible for audio quality.

Thanks

btw it is super easy to fix - just make sure you have a good, I mean really good screwdriver. you can fix it in 30 minutes if you want, however this will not cause any sound issues because Math tells me. From intuition speakers use the Wave equation model, because sound waves are mechanical waves - pick your boundary conditions, and superposition will fix things for you - so your audio will sounds, however if the driver had a hole in it, Math tells me it will not sound right, because you have imposed a boundary condition where you have undefined or (0) value.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #8,120 of 9,173
btw it is super easy to fix - just make sure you have a good, I mean really good screwdriver. you can fix it in 30 minutes if you want, however this will not cause any sound issues because Math tells me. From intuition speakers use the Wave equation model, because sound waves are mechanical waves - pick your boundary conditions, and superposition will fix things for you - so your audio will sounds, however if the driver had a hole in it, Math tells me it will not sound right, because you have imposed a boundary condition where you have undefined or (0) value.

You may try that AT YOUR OWN RISK:
1. Pick some bluetack to make the edge as sharp as possible
2. Cut the tiny hole of the cloth on the spot, just to let the bluetack
3. Use the bluetack to stick the diaphragm repeatedly to let it pop out (it will as the surface tension will do the rest of the job)
4. Repeat 1. and 2. with larger hole if necessary.

Actually the spot with affect the sound as you might imagine how the air particles nearby are displaced. There would be unintended superposition of sound waves, but the effect would be so small that you can never aware of because of the size of the spot.

I do not think that the sound has something to do with the wave equation, unless you are talking that in different medium (air, gas with higher density, liquid)

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #8,121 of 9,173
3. Use the bluetack to stick the diaphragm repeatedly to let it pop out (it will as the surface tension will do the rest of the job)

Actually the spot with affect the sound as you might imagine how the air particles nearby are displaced. There would be unintended superposition of sound waves, but the effect would be so small that you can never aware of because of the size of the spot.

I do not think that the sound has something to do with the wave equation, unless you are talking that in different medium (air, gas with higher density, liquid)

I should try what you listed. The sound that gets to your ears, and the propagation at the driver level should both follow some PDE, since sound is mechanical and propagates I would think it would follow the wave equation with some boundary condition. e.g the driver wave propagation can be compared to a wave traveling along a string with endpoints being a, and b where some condition must be true. Maybe I need to run a matlab simulation to form a conclusion :) - yes but I agree superposition should fix the hole issue, unless the hole is extremely large

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #8,122 of 9,173

So basically you are saying buy some bluetack cut a hole in the fabric in front of the driver, and stick a piece of bluetack through to grab the indentation and pull it out? Seems like a good idea actually! Also, are you saying that the indentation could effect sound quality, but likely isn't because of the size? (roughly 4mmx5mm

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #8,123 of 9,173
So basically you are saying buy some bluetack cut a hole in the fabric in front of the driver, and stick a piece of bluetack through to grab the indentation and pull it out? Seems like a good idea actually! Also, are you saying that the indentation could effect sound quality, but likely isn't because of the size? (roughly 4mmx5mm

This is what exactly what I have done for so many headphones. From your photo it is not clear that the edge of the spot is sharp or not, if it is not sharp then the recovered diaphragm would work fine without scratch. Consider a 20mm^2 spot and the diaphragm with a roughly 15386mm^2 (3.14*70^2) area, the effect would not be that significant.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #8,124 of 9,173
I should try what you listed. The sound that gets to your ears, and the propagation at the driver level should both follow some PDE, since sound is mechanical and propagates I would think it would follow the wave equation with some boundary condition. e.g the driver wave propagation can be compared to a wave traveling along a string with endpoints being a, and b where some condition must be true. Maybe I need to run a matlab simulation to form a conclusion :) - yes but I agree superposition should fix the hole issue, unless the hole is extremely large

It is not a math forum but I should try to convince you in the following way:
First of all we know that sound waves propagate in medium, such as air, water and even wood, as it actually is a description of the movement of the particles in the prescribed medium. Therefore, the classical wave equation describes the movement (displacement) of the stated particles in the medium. The air particles that are closest to the diaphragm are where the wave propagation starts and this should be considered as the boundary condition(s) of the wave equation. As time goes by, the differential equation describes how the wave propagates in air.

As a result, if the diaphragm has a little spot, then it definitely means that the boundary condition(s) has changed. For example, the boundary is now neither convex or concave instead of being concave as designed. Therefore, the resulting wave propagation would not be the same by the uniqueness property.

[Sorry for posting a little off-topic information]

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #8,125 of 9,173
It is not a math forum but I should try to convince you in the following way:
First of all we know that sound waves propagate in medium, such as air, water and even wood, as it actually is a description of the movement of the particles in the prescribed medium. Therefore, the classical wave equation describes the movement (displacement) of the stated particles in the medium. The air particles that is closest to the diaphragm are where the wave propagation starts and this should be considered as the boundary condition(s) of the wave equation. As time goes by, the differential equation describes how the wave propagates in air.

As a result, if the diaphragm has a little spot, then it definitely means that the boundary condition(s) has changes. For example, the boundary is now neither convex or concave instead of being concave as designed. Therefore, the resulting wave propagation would not be the same by the uniqueness property.

[Sorry for post a little off-topic information]

ah I see - thank you - I agree we kinda got off topic, my bad :)

thank you

Aug 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #8,126 of 9,173

BOOM DUDE! Worked perfectly.... Sliced a thin hole in the fabric, no real damage done, (I almost wish I had taken the time to take them apart now).. I rolled bluetack into a long thin piece and snaked it in, and popped right out... Good call man.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #8,129 of 9,173
Someone knows where to get a shorte cable for them ? I do not believe in high end cables and just want a like 1.2m one so I can use them with my portable player :D

When you look for replacement cables, do be aware that the tip takes the positive terminal while THE RING takes on the ground.
For example, the cable cannot be used on my Denon D600, as the tip takes the positive terminal but the sleeve the ground.
I tried cable of the JVC SW01/02 which takes the same TRS connection as the SONY Z7. Do look for cables in these types.

Aug 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #8,130 of 9,173
After avoiding Head Fi for a few years, I decided to wade through the piles of flac attack fan boy encomiums, anti-fanboy sorties from other headphone tribes, FOTM declarations of new, wondrous "end game" crap (only to be abandoned 20 pages later or re-cycled to the Amazon high end lending library), commercial churning, chronic price grousing, upgrade-itis OC disorder audiophilia nervosa etc. to examine a replacement for my Senn HD 580's, badly battered, beaten, and thrashed and with broken headband taped back together with a lump of electrical tape.

I'm late to the party, but boy, these R7 are great. I did the reading first, and what a strange thing to actually try the phones. I get the Sony thing, now. They allow your brain to expand into the music rather than trying to drill the music into your brain.

I guess I must be in the target range of Sony pinnae and psychoacoustics, because I don't find any problems. Bass sounds fine, coherency is excellent, the highs are subdued but well integrated and natural. They sound like a super clear, phat traditional push pull tube amp of yore to me. They require settling in for a few minutes after which the brain processing takes over to expand the soundstage and hit the alpha-wave spot.

I am not finding a pressing need for any upgrade mod to the R7, though I may try the surgical tape thing since I already have the tape. Why mess with something that works already?

Do they challenge my Orpheus-like Frankenstein Stax 507 setup? No, but they are not embarrassed by it.

the R7 is probably the best sales pitch for spending more on the Sony MDR Z1R, and I will probably troll periodically for a good used deal on a pair of those.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back