Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #6,961 of 9,173

I would (highly) recommend modding both the internal wiring and external cable. My pair has only modded internal/external wiring with no other mods. I have been listening to them balanced out of an LC for some time now. The last time I heard such hard hitting, tonally correct bass, realistic midrange, extended treble and non-linear soundstage was from a pair of cans and amp costing many, many times more. I continue to enjoy and be impressed by these phones, night after night.

At some point I will try the other mods, but for now I don't feel the need.

I am in agreement with this also.  The modded by itself yields outstanding improvement but you can easily improving it further by upgrading to a better cable.  I use the Silver Dragon along with Vince's mod and am very happy with the results.

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #6,963 of 9,173
Hey guys I have had the mdrz7's for about a month now and Im loving them, especially for gaming. I'm considering an amp like the schiit magni 2 uber and Im pretty close to pulling the trigger but was wondering if you guys think there is an amp with a balanced output that might perform better in the same price class ($100-300) ?

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #6,964 of 9,173
I doubt you are gonna get anything balanced in that price range, however you could look into a PONO player?

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #6,966 of 9,173
  Hey guys I have had the mdrz7's for about a month now and Im loving them, especially for gaming. I'm considering an amp like the schiit magni 2 uber and Im pretty close to pulling the trigger but was wondering if you guys think there is an amp with a balanced output that might perform better in the same price class ($100-300) ?

I've seen used, in the for sale forums here, the Centrance Hi-fi M8 for around $300.  I think its a great pairing with the Z7.  Its not fully balanced, just impedance balanced.  But still, the sound is very enjoyable.  I now use the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which tops the M8, but the price tag does also...

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #6,968 of 9,173
I recommend Nano IDSD if you don't care about balanced connection

http://www.amazon.com/Nano-iDSD-Battery-Powered-Portable-Decoder/dp/B00HI8WXVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459545349&sr=8-1&keywords=Nano+IDSD

Main page for more info

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

Again, if you care about balanced, Pono player is the way to go

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,970 of 9,173
I am going to reiterate/sound like a broken record one more time.

PC/Tidal/Audiophilleo(battery)/Gumby/(balanced)-LC-> re-cabled Z7 = A sound so addictive I just can't stop, won't stop...

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6,972 of 9,173
I'm mostly looking for a desktop amp that has the balanced output that works with the stock cable. I already have a few dac's and I'm just not sure if what I'm looking for will make a difference or if I should just stick to a more normal amp like the previous mentioned schiit magni 2 uber.

It does look like the pono player would be great for music as a portable player and that will be an upgrade for me down the road but for now I'm focusing on the desktop amp.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #6,973 of 9,173
I'm mostly looking for a desktop amp that has the balanced output that works with the stock cable. I already have a few dac's and I'm just not sure if what I'm looking for will make a difference or if I should just stick to a more normal amp like the previous mentioned schiit magni 2 uber.

It does look like the pono player would be great for music as a portable player and that will be an upgrade for me down the road but for now I'm focusing on the desktop amp.

You don't have to always get a balanced amp.  You can option out for a powerful single-end solidstate amp as well.  BTW, the Liquid Carbon really work well with the z7.  The Pico Power despite being a portable amp but it can swing a really good voltage and its sonic flavor should work great with the Z7 as well.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #6,974 of 9,173
You don't have to always get a balanced amp.  You can option out for a powerful single-end solidstate amp as well.  BTW, the Liquid Carbon really work well with the z7.  The Pico Power despite being a portable amp but it can swing a really good voltage and its sonic flavor should work great with the Z7 as well.

Agreed! Also balanced out amp for portable is not in that price range :D. You can try Pono player, many people love it with Z7, and yes it works with stock balanced Z7 cables

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #6,975 of 9,173

The only desktop amp I know is the DAC/amp Ayre Acoustics Codex.  They are the company that makes the amp section for the Pono for Neil Young.  But the price is huge...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back