Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 25, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #6,916 of 9,173
I also got me a Pono last monday. It is a perfect match with the Z7 and I also use it at 25 to 35% volume in balanced mode.

Mar 25, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #6,918 of 9,173
If you think they sounds this good with Ak Jr. imagine what you'd think had you paired them with a real DAP

K. Cool. You talk a good game. What do you like? Consider the no stacking principal please. Just plug n' play direct from a DAP source itself cause obviously taking something like a CDM or WA 8 and pairing those amps with a good digital player is an in fair comparison. As a stand alone DAP that can drive fairly large headphones the AK jr is pretty damn good. I think the level to which the jr performs at, there really isn't better per say...only different. Don't confuse the 2 and try to choose a DAP that fits the JR's price bracket cause obviously a plenue or ak 380 is significantly more substantial with more power. :wink:

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #6,920 of 9,173
K. Cool. You talk a good game. What do you like? Consider the no stacking principal please. Just plug n' play direct from a DAP source itself cause obviously taking something like a CDM or WA 8 and pairing those amps with a good digital player is an in fair comparison. As a stand alone DAP that can drive fairly large headphones the AK jr is pretty damn good. I think the level to which the jr performs at, there really isn't better per say...only different. Don't confuse the 2 and try to choose a DAP that fits the JR's price bracket cause obviously a plenue or ak 380 is significantly more substantial with more power.
wink.gif

Well that's my point. I'm not saying there's a DAP in Ak Jr's or Ponos price range that's better, my point was that if you pair the Z7's in balanced mode with a Plenue S or even in regular mode with the Plenue P, the Z7's open up in ways that make the Ak Jr and Pono absolutely pale in comparison.

Not to mention the SQ one gets from the DAP's I've mentioned makes the Pono and the AK jr sound like a tin can. Heck even the AK 120 sounds like a tin can in comparison.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #6,921 of 9,173

Agreed! Pono is probably the cheapest and still great option to get the most (in balanced mode) out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially the Z7 scaled up enormously in balanced mode imo...

Did you have a specific one in mind when you posted this?
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif

The P1 you already seem to own is one of them. The Plenue S in balanced mode is pure eargasm with the Z7's

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #6,923 of 9,173
After saving for 3 months, I pulled the trigger today on the Z7. I've been using the MDR-V700DJ (I know...I know) for the last 13+ years. I decided last fall I was going to get me a new set of headphones. I wanted the Z7 to begin with, but because of the price I tried the Master & Dynamic MH-40. I had it for 3 weeks and it sounded great, but found it to be very uncomfortable, even painful to wear. I ended up returning it and decided to just save up for the Z7. So I'm really excited and looking forward to the Z7!

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #6,924 of 9,173
Well that's my point. I'm not saying there's a DAP in Ak Jr's or Ponos price range that's better, my point was that if you pair the Z7's in balanced mode with a Plenue S or even in regular mode with the Plenue P, the Z7's open up in ways that make the Ak Jr and Pono absolutely pale in comparison.

Not to mention the SQ one gets from the DAP's I've mentioned makes the Pono and the AK jr sound like a tin can. Heck even the AK 120 sounds like a tin can in comparison.

Well, sounding like a tin can is a bit of a stretch but I get your point. I have paired the Z7's with more substantial amps to know the difference. The AK jr does do a very fine job for driving the MDR's on its own and for its size and price (which was mainly my point) is possibly 2nd to none right now. I can understand why the jr got the WHATHIFI product of the year for 2015.
However, I would like to explore more into the DAC area of the jr and pair it with that incredible vacuum tube amp WA 8. That thing looks amazing and I really want it. :)
I would use the line out feature on the jr and run it through the WA 8 to use with either my HD 800's or Z7's. That would be a dream come true portable stack set up. Hopefully by July I can grab the WA 8 by then....I've already started saving. :wink:
But anyhow, I know what you mean in terms of how a headphone can be opened up with higher end amps, but I have to say for a simple plug and play for on the go, I just love the jr. Also, that Wolfson 8740 DAC is bloody amazing and I'd love to hear it with the WA 8. I think that would kill and be an end game for me for at least 3yrs. :wink:

Happy listening.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #6,925 of 9,173

Agreed! Pono is probably the cheapest and still great option to get the most (in balanced mode) out of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially the Z7 scaled up enormously in balanced mode imo...

Did you have a specific one in mind when you posted this?
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif

I also got me a Pono last monday. It is a perfect match with the Z7 and I also use it at 25 to 35% volume in balanced mode.

All this talk of the Pono makes me want to get one! im using the NWZ A17 right now, but i can imagine balanced from the PONO sounds a lot better, just trying to get one for cheap here in Canada lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back