Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Mar 13, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #6,886 of 9,173
Hi, i was wondering if anyone here is interested in selling a single ended 3.5mm mdr z7 kimber cable or if anyone here knows someone who sells good cables for the mdr z7 that don't cost $200.

Single ended ? High quality cables ? Should be around $200 easily ...isn't kimber cable about that ball park too

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #6,887 of 9,173
I live 5 minutes from CanJam socal. Think I should bring the Z7's? With Kimber cable? My son wants to come, he's 11yr and already into cans. Maybe I'll let him wear them lol so I don't have to lug them around. 
cool.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6,888 of 9,173
Dang! a rock-musician coworker will show me off is Senn' HD800 dammit only have my lowly XBA-A3  for comparo, wih i had my Z7 for a face-off

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #6,889 of 9,173
I have the XBA z5, and i am hoping the Z7 sounds similar. Also how do you guys think a Z7 will sound out of an objective 2 amplifier. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #6,890 of 9,173
Moderator Suggestion. If anyone is reading this. I appreciate the frustrations with the bad sale / shipping scenario but it's hard to sift through it to find posts discussing the headphone itself as intended. Can those all be extracted and posted to its own thread, or an email conversation with all involved? Thanks. Several pages that were 90% discussion of shipping or selling tactics is a lot.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #6,891 of 9,173
  I have the XBA z5, and i am hoping the Z7 sounds similar. Also how do you guys think a Z7 will sound out of an objective 2 amplifier. Thanks!

I have both the Z5 and the Z7 ... they're similar but not .. that's why I love both so much. Had them both for more than a year and still do not have half an itch to get anything else as I haven't found anything better yet. 

Both have a big airy feel but also very full and solid sounding for me ... I think the Z7 have a more majestic full sound ... just really enjoy it even straight out of a iphone 6. On my desk, I use a O2+Odac and sound fantastic. I've tried many amps and still this is the cleanest and I think Z7 benefits from the O2 as it doesn't colour anything ... I think a warm amp will make it sound too mushy.
I use the O2+Odac at my desk and a C5D if I'm just lying around the house .. z5 and z7 sound really great on these jdslabs products. The only itch I have at the moment is for the jdslabs "The Element" for my desk .. I WANT THAT KNOB!    The Aust exchange rate just making it too expensive at the moment .. but one day.

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #6,892 of 9,173

I agree with Joey99. I also own both and while similar they are not the same. The Z7 has a larger sound stage while the Z5 is more 3D or holographic. The Z5 has harder hitting bass while the Z7 has a bit bigger bass. I would say the Z5 is more detailed than the Z7 and works better for low volume listening. Both perform their best in balanced mode in my experience. Like Joey99 I have had mine for about a year and half and feel no desire to sell or trade them. In fact only a few items I have reviewed came close to beating them in my opinion.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #6,893 of 9,173
  I have both the Z5 and the Z7 ... they're similar but not .. that's why I love both so much. Had them both for more than a year and still do not have half an itch to get anything else as I haven't found anything better yet. 

Both have a big airy feel but also very full and solid sounding for me ... I think the Z7 have a more majestic full sound ... just really enjoy it even straight out of a iphone 6. On my desk, I use a O2+Odac and sound fantastic. I've tried many amps and still this is the cleanest and I think Z7 benefits from the O2 as it doesn't colour anything ... I think a warm amp will make it sound too mushy.
I use the O2+Odac at my desk and a C5D if I'm just lying around the house .. z5 and z7 sound really great on these jdslabs products. The only itch I have at the moment is for the jdslabs "The Element" for my desk .. I WANT THAT KNOB!    The Aust exchange rate just making it too expensive at the moment .. but one day.

I agree with Joey99. I also own both and while similar they are not the same. The Z7 has a larger sound stage while the Z5 is more 3D or holographic. The Z5 has harder hitting bass while the Z7 has a bit bigger bass. I would say the Z5 is more detailed than the Z7 and works better for low volume listening. Both perform their best in balanced mode in my experience. Like Joey99 I have had mine for about a year and half and feel no desire to sell or trade them. In fact only a few items I have reviewed came close to beating them in my opinion.

Thanks guys, i will take this into consideration. I am just looking to find the Z7 for a good price now. Once that comes along i will get it. I hope to also eventually get a PHA-3. almost everyone is saying it makes a huge difference with both Z5 and Z7.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #6,894 of 9,173
Ok, I will officially make a tour for my Modded Z7 to Z7 owners within the states. If you are a reputable and trustworthy Long time Head-fi member, you can PM me for more details. I will pick out randomly, and the chosen one get to spend 1-2 weeks max with Z7 for a short review and comparison to stock Z7. Thank you guys !

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #6,895 of 9,173
Ok, I will officially make a tour for my Modded Z7 to Z7 owners within the states.

I'd like to participate. I'm in Massachusetts. I did a Meze 99 Classic tour and review. As a recording / mixing / mastering engineer who has tried probably several hundred headphones and studio monitors and subs in my life, I may be very useful for this research.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #6,898 of 9,173
I wonder for how much longer the MDR-Z7 will be available? I'm desperately trying to scrape together the money to buy a pair. But I feel time is running out.

It has only been released for 2 years at most ? It won't go away until the next flagship....then you still have years to scoop up the used one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back