Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Feb 11, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,781 of 9,173
I found the HD700 way to intense in the treble region for me almost a polar opposite to the Z7. I have owned the Sony MA900 (hope I got that model number correct) and enjoyed it but not enough to keep my pair. I owned the HD600 and sold it as well. The HD650 would be closer to the Z7. Grado are good but I struggle with treble in them. If I had the money I would buy the HiFiMan Edition X as it simply took everything great about the Z7 and made it better. The nice thing about it is that you wouldn't have to buy better source gear to enjoy it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #6,782 of 9,173
The ZMF Omni (although not fully open) seems to be getting a lot of love.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #6,783 of 9,173
I'm looking for an open headphone to complement my Z7. Any suggestions?

My budget is ~$1k. I want detail, good bass, and soundstage...especially soundstage.

So far I have been thinking HE-560 but the soundstage might not be what I'm looking for. I have also considered the HD 700 or even the HD 800. All these 'phones have their tradeoffs. I fear the HD 800 would be too bass light and analytical but it's soundstage capabilities really intrigue me. I think the Beyer T1 could be a good option too. 

I say wait and come up with about $700 more and get the Hifiman Edition X. A great planar headphone that's almost as good as the HE-1000 for almost half as much.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #6,784 of 9,173
Oh I forgot one headphone that might be darned near perfect for a Z7 lover that is open but in the more affordable range.

Audio Quest Nighthawk. It is about the price of the Z7 and is semi open. I really liked the pair I demo'd at a local store.

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #6,785 of 9,173
Oh I forgot one headphone that might be darned near perfect for a Z7 lover that is open but in the more affordable range.

Audio Quest Nighthawk. It is about the price of the Z7 and is semi open. I really liked the pair I demo'd at a local store.

You right about that, ever since I read some of the first reviews on the Nighthawk I've wanted to give it a listen.  Its really seems like it has a lot of the sonic qualities of the Z7.  That is one of the only headphones I'd do a trade with for my Z7 because I think it would be the perfect headphone for me.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #6,786 of 9,173
You right about that, ever since I read some of the first reviews on the Nighthawk I've wanted to give it a listen.  Its really seems like it has a lot of the sonic qualities of the Z7.  That is one of the only headphones I'd do a trade with for my Z7 because I think it would be the perfect headphone for me.

I like how the HD800 complements my Z7. You could also check on the Philips Fidelio X2.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #6,788 of 9,173
I forgot one headphone that might be darned near perfect for a Z7 lover that is open, but in the more affordable range.

AudioQuest are nice. Comfortable and light, with some of the best low sub bass ever (a bit more than the Z7, which is also great in the low subs). The higher highs were open, but very warm. But still the big dip around 1 khz is so noticeable. This was on a burned in pair, and through a quality playback setup. Also for semi-open, they didn't sound that spacious. The Z7 beats them there as well.

If one wants an open alternative with a bit less higher highs, a bit more high mids, but a lot less sub bass, I recommend the HD650 instead. Adding an AudioCadabra.com solid core copper cable (with top of the line connectors) opens the HD650 up even more. Not as flexible as stranded cable but a more pure signal. It has the ability to open up the sound without adding harshness as silver can.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #6,789 of 9,173

I'm on the tour list for the Omni.  I will definitely be doing a direct comparison with the Z7...

Awesome, that will be a good comparison. I owned a Vibro X for a few months and only let it go as the bass just wasn't present enough and the sub-bass roll-off was very high I thought. I hear the Omni addresses much of that while still retaining the sweet balanced mids and highs. Hope that turns out to be true. For me even the Z7 lacked sub-bass prowess which disappointed me with those massive drivers and cups I thought they would extend down low with more authority. If the Omni does this better please let me know! Cheers.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,790 of 9,173
Will these sound like trash if I were to plug them in straight from my Galaxy S6? If so I have zoomed in on two portable amps and thats either the fiio e12 montblanc or the vamp verza from vmoda. Would these amps be good options?

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #6,791 of 9,173
  Will these sound like trash if I were to plug them in straight from my Galaxy S6? If so I have zoomed in on two portable amps and thats either the fiio e12 montblanc or the vamp verza from vmoda. Would these amps be good options?

​Perhaps they would sound like trash when driven by a lifeless iPod Classic with no amp

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #6,793 of 9,173
  But not a galaxy s6 or other flagship smartphone?

I don't think so for what i've heard... I will get mine in the upcoming days and i will test them with a sony walkman which is not as powerful as other players so lets see, i come from a pair of MDR-1R which never sounded that great​

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #6,794 of 9,173

I don't think so for what i've heard... I will get mine in the upcoming days and i will test them with a sony walkman which is not as powerful as other players so lets see, i come from a pair of MDR-1R which never sounded that great​

Alright. And what about the amp choices? Are they adequate based off your knowledge for these cans?

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #6,795 of 9,173
sneaglebob said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif Alright. And what about the amp choices? Are they adequate based off your knowledge for these cans?

I had an Oppo HA-2 but i already sold it, it was good enought to add the missing bass to the MDR-1R (using the Oppo HA-2 bass+ switch), but it wa s anice rather neutralish amp, never used the DAC section of the HA-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back