Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 27, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #6,677 of 9,173
This pouch doesn't look like it's vinyl, more like velvet.

Is the new Kimber Kable out or still prototype?

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #6,679 of 9,173
This pouch doesn't look like it's vinyl, more like velvet.

Is the new Kimber Kable out or still prototype?

You can order it now. But the official release is next Monday.

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #6,680 of 9,173
Anyone knows how do Z7s compare to the new TH-X00s and the Nighthawks?

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #6,681 of 9,173

I can help with that

in Short it comes down to sound stage, the Z7 is VERY intimate compared to the THX00, though with some mods the Z7 has better bass control and overall detail in the bass and up into the central mid, how ever the TH X00 has a wider sound stage and layers a little better imo, especially on the top end 

both cans are tilted toward a darker sound, with the Z7 being the darker of the two. So if you like a more intimate can than the Z7 is the way to go, if you prefer a more open and spacious headphone, than the TH X00. And both the Z7 I have from Whitigir and my Th X00 have a recable 

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #6,682 of 9,173

And I can help with that.

The Z7 has more bass than the NightHawk and it's a little punchier sounding, mids are more recessed and there's a bit less treble on the Z7. The Z7 is a more fun sounding headphone where as the NightHawk is more refined with a more depth to the stage as well as more detail and texture showing through. Both are great headphones, I really love the Z7 and I was tempted to try and hold on to mine but I couldn't justify the investment when the NightHawks saw the majority of my listening time.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #6,683 of 9,173
My Z7 are becoming what my HD600 was before I got the Sony's (and gave my sister the HD600). I might get other headphones that are more technically proficient but I'll always go back to my Z7 and I don't see myself selling them for quite a long time.

It's funny, I have what I need to open them up and mod the cups and around the driver but I haven't done it yet because I'm not sure if its going to change the sound to much to where I won't like them anymore. Knowing my luck I'll do it, not like it and after putting them back to stock they just won't sound the same.

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,684 of 9,173
I'm still finding the Z7's very warm sounding. As described above...'a fun headphone.'
That's really what they are. They aren't overly clinical and have just the right amount of punch in the low end. I also would advise not pairing these CANS with a dead neural/analytical amplifier. It'll make some of the 'highs' sound grainy and thin. Honestly, a simple amp will do with a solid reasonable DAC. Otherwise. Great headphone. Couldn't be happier. A nice alternative to my Blue-Mofi's and HD 800's. They have a ton of character. They sound similar to the LCDX's to me. :wink:

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #6,685 of 9,173
Yeah they have the perfect amount of bass for me, anymore and it would be to much.  Its just such a fun headphone to listen to but its also a refined technical headphone at the same time imo.  I know its not on the same level technically as something like the HD800 but for a $500 headphone its darn good and oh so very comfortable.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,686 of 9,173
I can confirm that the z7 sound great on AK380cu.   It has equal or more juice than PHA-3.    
It seem it extend more in the high freq.  than where it roll off with PHA-3.   

More listening is needed.   

I think this z7 might be a long term keeper.  

I wonder how z7 it compare to foster TH-X00, that I just order though MassDrop.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #6,688 of 9,173
Damn, My kimber rep just sent me offical pic.    so SEXY..  I want...

Jan 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #6,690 of 9,173
  Price start at $700, it's not going to be cheap. i have the MUC-B20BL1($230) and i can't hear a difference between that one and the one that came in the box.

Ohh.. I know.. I am a Kimber dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back