Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Jan 15, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #6,646 of 9,173
  I haven't had them side by side but I have had many of each opened up in front of me. The only difference I can see that could affect acoustics is the cups are made of different woods.

Yes, someone please do an actual side by side so we can settle this!

wink.gif

How would you determine they use the same exact driver? Is that from a visual inspection of the driver itself?

Haha, we need someone in the z7 thread who has both the D5k and the X00's. Wouldn't that be nice?

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #6,647 of 9,173
Well I own both, an they sound very different :/ 

Though I can see both sides of this debate, with the Alpha Pads the TH X00 sounds simmilar to the LA D5k with Alpha Pads, how ever with Lawton Pads... the TH X00 sounds HORRID, where as the LA D5k sounds better

I would imagine given how BAD the TH X00 sounds with Marks Lawton pads, there are some differances to the headphone 

though maybe we should move that over to this thread :D 

an not derail this one to much 

on a side note, the HM601 an MDR Z7 combo is pretty nice :3 

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #6,649 of 9,173
Since I recently received my TH-X00 I, too, prefer the Z7... while I'd enjoy a bit more sparkle it has a nicer presentation of bass for my taste while the TH-X00 is a bit overwhelming to me. Comfort is better with the Z7 as well.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #6,651 of 9,173
  Since I recently received my TH-X00 I, too, prefer the Z7... while I'd enjoy a bit more sparkle it has a nicer presentation of bass for my taste while the TH-X00 is a bit overwhelming to me. Comfort is better with the Z7 as well.

Pfff, the stock TH X00 pads are horrid, #TeamAlpha all day baby! Though the Alpha Pads... eat up some of the Mid/Mid bass decay, which makes it a touch more V Shaped, brings better sub bass an sound stage but with brighter highs 
Yeah, Z7 is best paired with more neutral, brighter sources
wink.gif

yea like SCREAMING BRIGHT EDGY sources xD 

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #6,653 of 9,173
Lol
biggrin.gif
do th900 for crispness and brightness
wink.gif
u will love it !

hehe I might just have to TRADE YOU xD I'll send your MDR Z7 back an have you ship me the TH 900 if you can live without it for a few days xD

no but seriosuly, big up to Whitigir for letting me hear his MDR Z7, I'll have a review of it posted here next week 

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #6,654 of 9,173
  Well I own both, an they sound very different :/ 

Though I can see both sides of this debate, with the Alpha Pads the TH X00 sounds simmilar to the LA D5k with Alpha Pads, how ever with Lawton Pads... the TH X00 sounds HORRID, where as the LA D5k sounds better

I would imagine given how BAD the TH X00 sounds with Marks Lawton pads, there are some differances to the headphone 

though maybe we should move that over to this thread :D 

an not derail this one to much 

on a side note, the HM601 an MDR Z7 combo is pretty nice :3 

I ought people were raving about how the THX00 may actually improve on the TH900? Doesn't sound like that has been your experience.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #6,655 of 9,173

I ought people were raving about how the THX00 may actually improve on the TH900? Doesn't sound like that has been your experience.

My LA D5k is technicaly the better headphone, but it's also now source an amp dependant, with half of my music it's too dry from my Solid state, with the otehr half of my music it's not taut enough with my Hybrid Tube :/ 

The Th X00 is tuned a little easier, it prefers my Solid state an has the same signiture regardless of genre, thus the LA D5k proves to be a little more transparent 

Jan 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #6,656 of 9,173
hehe I might just have to TRADE YOU xD I'll send your MDR Z7 back an have you ship me the TH 900 if you can live without it for a few days xD

no but seriosuly, big up to Whitigir for letting me hear his MDR Z7, I'll have a review of it posted here next week 

Can you compare to a regular, unmodded unit? That would make much more sense than posting a review of a modded version only.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #6,657 of 9,173
Can you compare to a regular, unmodded unit? That would make much more sense than posting a review of a modded version only.

I don't have a regular verison :/ only the modded one so all I can do is review the unit with his improvements 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #6,658 of 9,173
The material I bought to mod my Z7 should be here tomorrow or Saturday and I'm looking forward to hearing how they sound after modding them.

It's funny though, after using my HE-400i for a long session I start to think I don't need my Z7 anymore up until the point I listen to them and realize that's just nonsense.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #6,659 of 9,173
It's funny though, after using my HE-400i for a long session I start to think I don't need my Z7 anymore up until the point I listen to them and realize that's just nonsense.

They are different enough sounding that having both would be great. I still wish I had kept my Z7 as I really did like it whatever small quibbles I had with it. It was a very well done headphone and supremely comfortable.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #6,660 of 9,173
Is the Z7 similar to the MA900 in terms of sound signature but closed back? I've had the MA900 for a couple of days now and they are pretty awesome. A real find after auditioning several newer and much more expensive models. Never would have guessed an old Sony would be just as good. It has impressive bass for an open back headphone. It would be nice to have a closed back version for more portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back