Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7
Dec 14, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,391 of 9,173
Thanks again

I've got to disagree with you about the Kimber compared wth the stock (included) cable.
I think the Kimber (1.2m) really changes the sound for the better.  Tightens the bass,
causes a smoother and more homogenous presentation, and widens the soundstage.
It's also better than the Surf Cables silver plated copper which I was using.

Sure, they're cables and everyone has their take > expectation bias, placebo effect,
use double blind testing only...but I go with what I hear.  

Quoting a friend of mine, looking at a photo:
"Can't you just *see* that she *can*sing?"

I agree that pretty things are better on many levels and hearing is an impression influenced by many factors. Which is to say, if you like what you hear that's fine with me. I would nevertheless not recommend cables on sound improvements alone.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #6,392 of 9,173
Quoting a friend of mine, looking at a photo:
"Can't you just *see* that she *can*sing?"

I agree that pretty things are better on many levels and hearing is an impression influenced by many factors. Which is to say, if you like what you hear that's fine with me. I would nevertheless not recommend cables on sound improvements alone.

Other than build quality (and improvement in SQ), what 
criteria would you use for recommending cables?

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #6,393 of 9,173
Other than build quality (and improvement in SQ), what 
criteria would you use for recommending cables?

To me it comes down to either optics or usability (I.e. Cable length, type of connectors, stiffness).

My reason to get the Kimber cables was primarily optics (I like the look and feel), but also length considerations and the ability to use the balanced one on the PHA-3 without an adapter.

Regarding sound I do think that there are differences pertinent to impedance and resistance (besides obvious quality differences like connectors and quality of solder joints). But while a good technical level is not very expensive, optics are a bit of a different story...

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,394 of 9,173

Property of lavricables

Look at this silver cables, is it beautiful enough for look ? Surely by my standard! The best of it is ? Solid-core pure silver, very flexible and easy to carry around. Good quality and is an absolute upgrade to the stock Z7. He is a long time head if member as well (lavricables)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171899128159

I totally vouch for him as I use it with ZX2 TRRS out to all 4 of my headphones, and I sure am loving it

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #6,395 of 9,173

Property of lavricables

Look at this silver cables, is it beautiful enough for look ? Surely by my standard! The best of it is ? Solid-core pure silver, very flexible and easy to carry around. Good quality and is an absolute upgrade to the stock Z7. He is a long time head if member as well (lavricables)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171899128159

I totally vouch for him as I use it with ZX2 TRRS out to all 4 of my headphones, and I sure am loving it

I bought the 4-pin XLR version and it sounds great!

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #6,396 of 9,173
I don't have KimberKables. I only run Z7 straight outta the ZX2 and when upgrade cables, I upgrade the Plugs to TRRS for balanced out on ZX2. I also went for Pure Solid Silver cables.

So in my case, the Solid silver cables and TRRS was the biggest sound quality gains with much more 3D stages and faster paces + better linearity flow within a music tone.....etc.

As stated above, after the upgraded cables, I so wanted to get these sub-transient details out of the Z7.... Those that I needed to focus into to hear (almost going to solder silver cables into it). After the dampening mod, it appeared much more Pronounced.

Both mods are a must, and both increase Sound quality of Z7. I think these 2 mods make the Z7 perform 2x it price point.

Now I am so much satisfied that I no longer want to solder anything on top of the drivers or recable the inner wires.

Thanks Whitigir,would you please recommend me how and where to upgrade the plugs to TRRS or balanced out 2.5mm because I am planning to buy Onkyo DP-X1

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #6,397 of 9,173
Thanks Whitigir,would you please recommend me how and where to upgrade the plugs to TRRS or balanced out 2.5mm because I am planning to buy Onkyo DP-X1

Stock cables has all 4 wires across. I think DP-X1 has AK style of 2.5mm TRRS. Peterek can help you out without problem. If you wanted to upgrade to solid silver cables style, the link above to eBay would link you to one of the best person for that, just simply Pm him and request :D. Enjoy

Dec 21, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #6,398 of 9,173

Stock cables has all 4 wires across. I think DP-X1 has AK style of 2.5mm TRRS. Peterek can help you out without problem. If you wanted to upgrade to solid silver cables style, the link above to eBay would link you to one of the best person for that, just simply Pm him and request
biggrin.gif
. Enjoy

Yeah, just look at "AK DAP" at this link. That's the pinout for your Onkyo.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/95/955794b6_TRRSTip.png

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #6,399 of 9,173

I also bought 
  I bought the 4-pin XLR version and it sounds great!

I also ordered a customer cable from Lavricables. He is really nice and professional (and patient, as I am always full of questions). 
He also added some short litz for me to mod the inside cabling, as Whitgir did. 

Lucky Sony was kind enough to put the Z7 service manual online. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #6,400 of 9,173
I also bought 

I also ordered a customer cable from Lavricables. He is really nice and professional (and patient, as I am always full of questions). 
He also added some short litz for me to mod the inside cabling, as Whitgir did. 

Lucky Sony was kind enough to put the Z7 service manual online. 

Litz silvers are better as it is more flexible and allows better room to work inside the Z7. But I also used solid-silver, because nothing beats "solid-core" cables :D. Let me know if you have questions about the inside cable mods. This is the most invasive and extensive mod, but is also the most that improve Z7 sound quality and especially soundstage and reduces distortions. Cheer!

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #6,401 of 9,173
Litz silvers are better as it is more flexible and allows better room to work inside the Z7. But I also used solid-silver, because nothing beats "solid-core" cables
biggrin.gif
. Let me know if you have questions about the inside cable mods. This is the most invasive and extensive mod, but is also the most that improve Z7 sound quality and especially soundstage and reduces distortions. Cheer!

Is there anything you don't "tamper" with !!! ???
wink_face.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #6,402 of 9,173
Litz silvers are better as it is more flexible and allows better room to work inside the Z7. But I also used solid-silver, because nothing beats "solid-core" cables
biggrin.gif
. Let me know if you have questions about the inside cable mods. This is the most invasive and extensive mod, but is also the most that improve Z7 sound quality and especially soundstage and reduces distortions. Cheer!

Thats good to know. I believe K has added some of the same cable he used to make the Z7 cable. That would mean I was wrong and its not actually Litz but solid silver.
What do you think?

Thanks for your offer, I will definitely bug you about the mod. I am good at soldering, but I tend to break things :p

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #6,403 of 9,173
Thats good to know. I believe K has added some of the same cable he used to make the Z7 cable. That would mean I was wrong and its not actually Litz but solid silver.
What do you think?

Thanks for your offer, I will definitely bug you about the mod. I am good at soldering, but I tend to break things :p

That is definitely solid-silver as K favorite is that, and so is mine :D...all my headphones has it for upgrades lol. If you usually break stuff, the things that need attentions would be to take the stock jacks out, and to take the plastic cap on it off. If you get pass those steps, you are golden and proceed into soldering :D

I am excited to see your progressions. Definitely keep us all updated

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #6,404 of 9,173
That is definitely solid-silver as K favorite is that, and so is mine
biggrin.gif
...all my headphones has it for upgrades lol. If you usually break stuff, the things that need attentions would be to take the stock jacks out, and to take the plastic cap on it off. If you get pass those steps, you are golden and proceed into soldering
biggrin.gif

I am excited to see your progressions. Definitely keep us all updated

Yes, I was wondering whether the jacks are glued in. I probably can manage the plastic cap. You taped it up all nicely. What kind of tape did you use there? I am now shopping around for some dampening. It seems to me the solder pads on the speakers are sufficient not to require additional solder. Do you think it makes sense to remove it all and replace it with Audio Note solder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back